How thirsty is your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8scott72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm curious just how thirsty some of the other big saws are. I have a 394xp and I love the power but man, does it drink it down.

I made 6 full cuts on this log and half way thru the 7th cut, it was dry. I had just filled it full before hand.

2007-12-28003.jpg

2007-12-24046.jpg

The log was 34" to 36" diameter (oak) and I was using 32" bar with full comp stihl chain (brand new).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the saw. I just recently tuned both the low and high settings per the manual and it's running great.

Wow! Somethin don't sound right there. I have a 395XP with a 36" bar and it don't sip it up that bad. I blasted up a pile of 30"-36" oak and hard maple this past weekend with 2 fill ups. The wood tally after splitting was 3 Full cord. I did'nt count but I know it was waaaaay more than 6-7 cuts per tank. Good question, seeing as you say the saw is running good.....Dunno:confused:

Dolmar 9010

I am running a 32" full comp LGX on my 9010 and I recently cut a 30 diameter cherry and I could make about 8 - 9 cuts before a refill. My saw has a 34 oz tank on it.

I am running a 32" full comp LGX on my 9010 and I recently cut a 30 diameter cherry and I could make about 8 - 9 cuts before a refill. My saw has a 34 oz tank on it.

Then I guess mine's right on par with yours.

Sounds a bit thirstier than my 395. It's largely a function of time, so my question is how sharp is the chain?

Really sharp chains cut alot more wood per tank.

My thirstiest saw is my 880, but like Andy says it takes gas to make power. Seems especially with the 880, the harder you lean on it the more gas it sucks.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit thirstier than my 395. It's largely a function of time, so my question is how sharp is the chain?

Really sharp chains cut alot more wood per tank.

My thirstiest saw is my 880, but like Andy says it takes gas to make power.

The chain was brand new out of the box for those 7 cuts.

The chain was brand new out of the box for those 7 cuts.

Then it was only medium sharp. So I can't compare it to my 395, as I run really sharp chains....:) :)

How was it cutting? You might have picked up a little grit early, and that would have slowed you down.

Still seems a little bit thirsty, but probably ballpark. I tried to look for shavings in the pic, but didn't seen any. Also I didn't see anything anywhere near 36 inches diameter, did I?

I would say if it runs well, I would not worry about it too much. Keep a sharp chain and the 395 likes a fairly light touch to keep it on the "pipe." I sure love mine.

Last edited:
thirsty husky

never measured fuel mileage by number of cuts, but in minutes of running time.Most 394s run 35 to 45 minutes per tank depending on bar length, chain sharpness, idling , etc...

never measured fuel mileage by number of cuts, but in minutes of running time.Most 394s run 35 to 45 minutes per tank depending on bar length, chain sharpness, idling , etc...

I am sure I don't get anything near 35 minutes per tank on my 395. But 35 minutes of trigger time cuts a lot of 30 inch rounds like in the pic.

I have never timed it, but I am guessing I get more like 15 -20 minutes of actual cutting in medium sized wood.

One particularly busy long afternoon I used almost 3 gallons of gas all by myself. But I had 4 saws out and basically was making 32 to 38 inch crosscuts non stop for several hours. And the 880 and 3120 have big tanks and empty them pretty quickly! I should time it, but I think I can go through a tank on the 880 in like 10 minutes.

Last edited:
No real hard data from me. Best I can say is that on a 30-35" white ash I can buck up pretty much the entire trunk to the point that it is small enough for a 20" bar. This is with the 660.

I've been amazed at how much wood can be cut with a single tank on the 357xp. A full load for me, a bunch for the suckers groping around the wood pile without a saw, and dozens of cookies just for the heck of it, and there is still gas in the tank. :chainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:

I have a 394 and a 395, when they are are empty I just put more gas and oil in them. Its no big deal, its not like we are talking about driving a big block pickup from sea to sea. At least your saw has a wrap handle and real dogs, keep it sharp, the air filter clean and be safe, good luck/Jim

My 076 which happens to be ported, and has a large tank, drinks a LOT of fuel. It is set a tad bit rich since im using it hard, it drinks up lots, but think what you would use if you tried using a smaller saw. Im very happy to have a large saw for the big stuff.

I've been amazed at how much wood can be cut with a single tank on the 357xp. A full load for me, a bunch for the suckers groping around the wood pile without a saw, and dozens of cookies just for the heck of it, and there is still gas in the tank. :chainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:
I noticed that with my 359. Doesnt burn much. Maybe a little more now.:greenchainsaw:

Yeah, well the difference in 50ccs and 90ccs is huge. My Husky 51 seems to cut for days on one tank.

Back