How to Check Hydraulic Fluid Level

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelvetFoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My unit did not come with a dipstick.
The directions just said put in X qt's of fluid.
Since I basically haven't used it yet, I figure I'll put a clean piece of metal or something (like a hanger) to use as a dipstick.
Any other ideas?

When filling the hydraulic tank the first time add fluid to within 1 inch of the top of the tank. Start the pump and cycle the cylinder several times full stroke . This will fill all the hoses and purge the cylinder. Recheck the fluid level in the tank and bring it up to 1 inch down from the top of the tank if the filler is in the center of the tank. If the filler is at the end of the tank a 2 inch fluid level below the top of the tank may be needed to keep the fluid from spilling when the splitter is off level.

Thanks. So it doesn't sound as if there's a big problem with accidentally overfilling the reservoir except for some spillage?

I have never done it on a splitter, but I did on a swather. I filled it with the cylinder extended. When lowered the platform, the oil in the cylinders pushed more oil in the tank and overfilled it. It blew right out the breather cap and all over the swather. It was quite a mess.

If you overfill the splitter, it probably won't be so messy because the cylinder return speed won't be as fast as gravity was on my swather.

Latest posts

Back