How to effeciently stack firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys have pics of the metal totes and cages you put wood in?
Get fertilizer/chemical totes from your local co-op, but the tops out and BAM, instant wood storage. For you guys that are going to be thanking me for the next year... Yes, i know i'm a genius. AND the totes are FREE 99% of the time.

I forgot to get a pic today but I found this one on Craigslist. I just yank the plastic tank out and use the cage.
why jerk the tank out? just take the saw's all and cut the top out so the bark and BS that falls off isn't all over everything. Great minds do think alike though :)

Get fertilizer/chemical totes from your local co-op, but the tops out and BAM, instant wood storage. For you guys that are going to be thanking me for the next year... Yes, i know i'm a genius. AND the totes are FREE 99% of the time.

Are you talking about the totes like what joesell posted in post #20? If so, those go for $75 around here. Not sure if worth it......

why jerk the tank out? just take the saw's all and cut the top out so the bark and BS that falls off isn't all over everything. Great minds do think alike though :)

I really haven't noticed a problem with the bark to much. I mainly pull the liner so the air can flow through and dry the wood.
I was making cages out of pallets and green treated 2x4's, but I had almost $20 into each one anyway and I was constantly fixing them.
The totes are on there second year and show no sign of any problems.

20140301_140503.jpg 20140301_152805.jpg Here's what I have left for this year. There's 2 more rows of 3 bins that you can't see.

Second pic is staged by the OWB.

I don't even bother stacking it anymore, as fast as I'm burning it is a waste of time. I just chuck it up on the front porch now in a pile, screw it!

That's an old corn crib. I actually thought about running the conveyor up to it but it would be a pain to get the wood out of.

The whole point of the bins is to be able to stack a bunch of wood out in the sun and wind and be able to easily move it over to the OWB.

When it's cold like it has been, I go through 2 bins a week.

My wood is split for next year. I just leave it in a pile most of the summer, cures faster than stacking. Before cold sets, I will stack under a portable carport on old landscape timbers to keep it off the ground. Portable carport is 14x19 ft. I will stack one row across the opening and then one row down each side. Then I stack everythng crossways until the shed is full. To use old wood before new, I just back into the opposite end of the shed to where the older wood is stacked and load up. If i dont empty the shed in one season, I replace the wood i did use and the next year work from the other end. This year the shed is empty so all wood will be this years wood. In fact, if it turns cold again, I might have to burn some of the fresh split wood.

Jimbo, how much lead time would you need on the totes? It would be around 580 miles round trip for me, but it might be worth it. I have a 20' flatbed trailer. how many do you think I could get on it?

Jimbo, how much lead time would you need on the totes? It would be around 580 miles round trip for me, but it might be worth it. I have a 20' flatbed trailer. how many do you think I could get on it?

You can fit 2 wide and 2 high. There 42" wide on the short side. So you can fit 5 rows easy and maybe a 6th if you let them hang over on each end. Plus 2 in the back of your truck. So 22 or 26 depending on how they go on.
Gonna need a **** load of straps though.

On the right hand side, pallet with some wire mesh....

img-20140131-00651-jpg.335840
Is that a Yamaha GP with the white and red cowel? And a wet bike in the back?

View attachment 336661 View attachment 336663 Here's what I have left for this year. There's 2 more rows of 3 bins that you can't see.

Second pic is staged by the OWB.
How many years of use are you getting out of the cages. I have like 30 of these and might try it. We get concrete cure in these and cant find anybody that wants them. I could throw the wood right in them and then move them with my forks.

I'm on my second year and most look great. I had a few that were beat up to begin with so I took off the bottom and mounted the cage on a pallet. I also had 2 that froze into the ground and a wrecked the bottoms when I grabbed them with the skidder. I'll just screw those to a pallet too.

I'm really happy with the way it's going. I just wish I could find them cheaper/free like there seems to be in other parts of the country.

Back