How to noodle like the noodle gods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was having splitter problems I blocked up a bunch of oak. I used the noodles for the horse stalls instead of buying pine shavings.

More noodle news.

Hey, I went back to my pine rounds, and even my little HU 350 made excellent noodles, once I put the round on its side. While I was making a big pile of them my part-time, mostly suburbanite neighbor came over for a chat, and mentioned that he was trying to cut some little trees on his land but all the saw did was smoke. So I offered to sharpen his chain for him, figuring he'd have a box-store, safety-chain pos, which he did, but he also had, get this, a nearly new MS 460! I was shocked. He'd had it a couple of years and never sharpened the chain.

Well, I hand-filed the cutters, and thought I'd try it out for noodles before I took it back to him. Talk about noodles!!! This was the first time I'd seen them coming up on the top of the bar, and of course the 3/8 round chisel made longer, thicker noodles than my little .325 HU.

i take a pile of my wood noodles :)laugh: )after they dry and press them in a big steel pipe with a screwpress , making a dense block. I then saturate the block with melted wax and press again. When its cold i knock them out of the pipe, and break it up and bag it, for fire starting.

An even easier solution is to cut a 2" section from a toilet paper core, fill it with nooldles , and pour wax over it. Works great.

I 've only made noodles with full chisel chain, does skip do a better job of getting rid of the chips?

I use full skip to noodle when using a 36 or 42 inch bar, but at say 24 inches it depends on the saw. Skip maybe a little easier to clear the chips. Best is square ground and rakers a shade under 25 thousands.

I am going to buy my wife a digital camera soon (was supposed to be for Christmas, ooops) and I mean to do a vid of some noodling with it. My DSLR doesn't do video.:)

I use full skip to noodle when using a 36 or 42 inch bar, but at say 24 inches it depends on the saw. Skip maybe a little easier to clear the chips. Best is square ground and rakers a shade under 25 thousands.

I am going to buy my wife a digital camera soon (was supposed to be for Christmas, ooops) and I mean to do a vid of some noodling with it. My DSLR doesn't do video.:)

Please, post 'em. I'll try to get a good jpg of the noodlin' 7900 when I get my hands on it. I've got bags and boxes of pinyon noodles sitting around drying. I plan to market a full spectrum of pinyon noodles for the chiminea trade, designer noodlles, with the top of the line,
" Ultimate noodles. Made only from virgin pinyon, cut with a 3120 square chisel full skip. $30/gram."

This is a great thread. I wish I thought of noodles for the horse paddock and horse bedding. Good ideas never cease from this forum.

I just came in from making some (2 big bags) with my 028 Super .325 Carlton hand filed with round file. Pretty windy though. I got to do a few cuts then gather them up before the return to the wild. The wood is still a little green and gets stuffed in the shoot, so the noodles just poor off the tip.

Last edited:
Noodle God: Why Madrona/Arbutus?

I cut a truckload of them in the last two days working a a big madrone.
QUOTE]

Noodle God, why Madrona? I cut the stuff up and it's so hard and brittle, it would seem that they wouldn't noodle at all....is there something special about Madrona noodles that make them more desireable than say, Cedar?

Just wondering.

I cut a truckload of them in the last two days working a a big madrone.
QUOTE]

Noodle God, why Madrona? I cut the stuff up and it's so hard and brittle, it would seem that they wouldn't noodle at all....is there something special about Madrona noodles that make them more desireable than say, Cedar?

Just wondering.

The mountains of noodles I cut are from blocking out the madrone into large turning blanks (up to around 20 by 20 by 14 or so). Blocking out a few thousand lbs of bowl blanks (less than a single trailer load) creates a lot of noodles.

I make bowls and such out of it on my wood lathe. The wood is like skiing powder to cut and turn while it is green. Get hard after it dries.

Here's and example of a bowl in madrone:

This is a great thread. I wish I thought of noodles for the horse paddock and horse bedding. Good ideas never cease from this forum.

I just came in from making some (2 big bags) with my 028 Super .325 Carlton hand filed with round file. Pretty windy though. I got to do a few cuts then gather them up before the return to the wild. The wood is still a little green and gets stuffed in the shoot, so the noodles just poor off the tip.

I personally don't use noodles from the saw for composting, ground cover or anything else when I use regular bar oil. I am going to try some canola oil sometime in part because it makes the noodles more eco friendly.

Then again I generate enormous quantities of curly fries (long shavings) from the lathe and these are 100 percent wood. So I use these for the above things as well as giving truckloads of them away for bedding, weed mulching etc.

I personally don't use noodles from the saw for composting, ground cover or anything else when I use regular bar oil. I am going to try some canola oil sometime in part because it makes the noodles more eco friendly.

Then again I generate enormous quantities of curly fries (long shavings) from the lathe and these are 100 percent wood. So I use these for the above things as well as giving truckloads of them away for bedding, weed mulching etc.

The saw noodles make a great fire starter, though. I might not use them in a stove with a cat converter, but in my low tech stove they burn extremely quickly and hot.

Oh my...that's beautiful. Takes my breath away. I had no idea you could make something out of Madrona. My sister has madrona flooring, which, she tells me is really hard to get. Lots of difficulties working with the stuff.

Wow. You do beautiful work.

May someday....

The mountains of noodles I cut are from blocking out the madrone into large turning blanks (up to around 20 by 20 by 14 or so). Blocking out a few thousand lbs of bowl blanks (less than a single trailer load) creates a lot of noodles.

I make bowls and such out of it on my wood lathe. The wood is like skiing powder to cut and turn while it is green. Get hard after it dries.

Here's and example of a bowl in madrone:

The only people who don't like skiing powder are those who can't do it. And it's a lot easier than it used to be. That bowl is gorgeous. You selling them? Does the madrone crack in dry climes? PM me, I might be interested in buying one from you. I know better than to try to trade you pinyon noodles...

Oh my...that's beautiful. Takes my breath away. I had no idea you could make something out of Madrona. My sister has madrona flooring, which, she tells me is really hard to get. Lots of difficulties working with the stuff.

Wow. You do beautiful work.

May someday....

I've installed Madrona hardwood flooring a few times and it is hard to get and is now getting almost impossible to get. One of the few suppliers for it went belly up (died) (as far as flooring is concerned). It does make a beautiful floor as well as bowls and funature.

Ahh...a little oil never hurt nobody...;)

Noodles! Now I know what you guys are talking about.

Here is a pic I shared after my new MS361's 1st tank of gas... after quartering up some rounds I have a nice pile of noodles in the BG.

361-192Tb.jpg

I have the RSC chain on the 361 and it noodled so well, I had to be careful not to bind up the chain at the clutch.

I love the idea of compacting noodles with some wax to make fire starter material.

I have a mound of noodles in the woods behind my house. I was just going to scatter them because I didn't think they would be good for much with bar oil on them, but I think I'll give making them into fire starters a try. Mine are mostly from Ash and Cottonwood...ya think those will work ok?

Back