How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing these pictures of what will still work, I know I have thrown several away and of the people watching this, I would guess a lot of good ones have been scraped.

Excellent pictures and things learned.

1) Its clear to me after seeing the pics of damaged cylinders that remain usuable, that my understanding of what really takes place inside a 2 cycle cylinder is lacking. I will work on that. If someone knows where to get this info, it would be appreciated. I can tear a saw down,replace bearings,seals and pistons....but dont really know why it does what it does.

2) Randy, I have a used Foredom grinder in the mail. It did not come with a stand or foot pedal and I will have to make a stand. I reviewed your initial video and it appears the grinder is mounted behind you and about shoulder level to keep the handpiece fairly level and avoid any excessive bend in the flexshaft. Am I correct ? Thanks.

After seeing these pictures of what will still work, I know I have thrown several away and of the people watching this, I would guess a lot of good ones have been scraped.

Excellent pictures and things learned.

What I would like to know is what the dealer in town does with old jugs that "cannot be repaired".

I'd like opinions on this one. This came off my 044 and I decided to replace it due to the vertical grooves going up from the exhaust port. I've still got it, so if it's useable I can keep it as a spare. I'm more asking as I've got an MS260 with similar damage that I would like to save and just throw a Meteor piston in if it can be done. And before anyone says it, yes I know there is still transfer in there, but I stopped sanding when I saw the grooves.
IMG_20130616_153556.jpg
IMG_20130616_153530.jpg
IMG_20130616_153517.jpg
IMG_20130616_153508.jpg
IMG_20130616_153501.jpg

Thanks Randy. I'm in the process of finding/making a split mandrel to fit my dremel, so I'll post more pics once I've cleaned this and the MS260 one up a bit more.

Dan....I just got some split mandrels from eBay that are about 3" long and too short to do the top of the cylinder. They work fine on the lower half. I tried to make a long one from 1/8 rod and it is too small to split for the emery cloth. The short mandrel may be ok if you u use the flex shaft on the dremel. I bought a forsome grinder a little more than the dremel flex shaft. The top half of a ms250 is waiting on the forsome. Glad you can salvage the 044 and 026. That will save you some bucks.

Randy....I need to make a stand for hanging the foresom motor. In your opinion, how high should the motor hang over your workpiece ? Just high enough to prevent a kink in the cable?

Dan....I just got some split mandrels from eBay that are about 3" long and too short to do the top of the cylinder. They work fine on the lower half. I tried to make a long one from 1/8 rod and it is too small to split for the emery cloth. The short mandrel may be ok if you u use the flex shaft on the dremel. I bought a forsome grinder a little more than the dremel flex shaft. The top half of a ms250 is waiting on the forsome. Glad you can salvage the 044 and 026. That will save you some bucks.

Yeah, same here. I trawled ebay the other night and all the ones I could see were too short. I reckon I'd need about 3" projecting from the dremel to get to the top of the 260 cylinder. I thought that these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190867273580?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 looked longer, but the ad says they're only 50mm long. I might buy them anyway and see if they are of some use. I'm assuming that ideally you want to go in with the mandrel parallel to the wall of the cylinder, so I'm thinking that even with a flex shaft, you won't be able to get to the top. I have seen tapered mandrels, so maybe they would be better, bearing this in mind?

My hanger is about 6' off the floor. The height of the bench will determine the height of the hanger though.

My hanger is about 6' off the floor. The height of the bench will determine the height of the hanger though.

Thank you. I thought it appeared in the original video that the motor was behind you but I thought you might have hung it there for purposes of the video cam. You spend hours with that foredom in your hand...I am sure you have it in the most comfortable position.

I have a shelf above my bench.......the motor is mounted on the edge of that shelf. It's probably 8" out further than the bench......so about with my shoulder when I'm working.

I use a Dremel with a flex shaft for a number of things. Different tasks need different heights.

I put eye hooks in the ceiling at a few places around the shop where I use it, and hang it with a loop of boot lace/parachute cord, and a spring loaded cord lock.

The cord lock lets me easily adjust the height of the Dremel motor for the task. Something similar should work with the Foredom tool, although I would use heavier cord.

Philbert

Dremel hang.jpg

I use a Dremel with a flex shaft for a number of things. Different tasks need different heights.

I put eye hooks in the ceiling at a few places around the shop where I use it, and hang it with a loop of boot lace/parachute cord, and a spring loaded cord lock.

The cord lock lets me easily adjust the height of the Dremel motor for the task. Something similar should work with the Foredom tool, although I would use heavier cord.

Philbert
Great idea Philbert! Not only does your idea free up room on the workbench, it reduces the chance of kinking the flex shaft and extends the reach of the tool by allowing it to swing from the eye hook.

Latest posts

Back