How to start an argument? Future of gas powered saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So a chat in a video. If "your a hammer everything looks like a nail" moment as there is too much to type on this. So an opinion , nothing more :)
What seems to be the trend for the next few years :)

AND starting the firewood season :) Attempted to "dampen" the battery chat with some real two stroker noises

They are just starting to get going on this so improvements will surely follow. This one does as good as most 45cc gas saws …. This is 16” dry ash….27 cuts and ran out of bar oil before the battery was done. Not a bad offering from a non- chainsaw company. As an aside, I already run the DeWalt 20/60 volt platform on numerous other tools so it was a cheap thrill for me to try this saw

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Batteries in their current state of performance, will not replace gas. They just don't have the capability yet.

It will take a revolution in battery tech to make the permanent switch.

The problem with batteries is, the weight. At some point the weight overcomes the practicality of the convenience. We can extol the convivences all we want, work gets done with gas and diesel powered machines.

Not just battery design needs to improve. I bought the Milwaukee chainsaw because we already use their batteries for other tools. For our purpose, it's for slab trim work at the sawmill. While I have no complaint about Milwaukee's batteries, the chain/sprocket relationship and the chip clean out area is less than satisfactory. Maybe its due to Milwaukee's lack of experience with chainsaw design. Maybe it's their rush to make it into the consumer market that lead to shortcuts in design and quality. It goes like this a lot.

20230808_095236-milwaukee-chainsaw-sprocket-too-much-play.jpg

The DeWalt certainly works well enough… as I said performs about equal to most 45cc saws power and speed wise but the ergonomics are rather poor. They use the skillsaw type thumb activated trigger lock out….. that really sucks if your arm is not lined up with the trigger handle. But as you say Milwaukee and DeWalt are the movers and shakers in the battery tool world… not the chainsaw world!!!

I'm already seeing professionals using battery saws. A couple years ago a crew showed up at my place wanting to park here while they were clearing the inaccessible powerline ROW up the mountain from me. It's super steep. No one goes up there. I had a good view from my home office of their truck and I could hear them working. Battery saws are quieter but not silent, and falling trees still makes the same noise. So I know they were working all the time they were up there, and when they left and came back.

They used Stihl battery saws and I saw them putting extra batteries in a backpack. They hiked in and stayed out there all day each day they were there.

Now they were not felling big trees- some powerline crews do that but they usually use bucket trucks which are not possible for this powerline. Even so I was impressed.

The battery saws are not competition for larger gas saws yet, but battery tech is improving a lot faster than exploding hydrocarbons tech. I think they'll get there.

The pro level top handles from Husqvarna do a good job. My little Husqvarna 120i works good around the yard and trails. Haven't seen a battery saw with the power to weight ratio of the 50cc and up gas saws yet, so that is the market "segment" I was talking about. Who will be able to survive the changes as there will be a battery future, just a matter of time. But until then the companies best able to survive are the ones interesting to me.

Yeah it's been a long time coming for a Fuel Efficient Alternative, Stihl is coming out with a Full line of Fuel Injected Diesel 2 Stroke Powersaws in 2024, just for California....

Mad3400

As a kid I thought a tilley (or coleman) lamp with a mantle gave off a good light. I recently refurbished one for my son and was so disappointed. Go on ask me why!!
To me the light given off was a nice warm light, to my son it was a lot of fiddling around to get a dim light.
The change to LED lighting has been quick, but its here to stay and makes lighting of only 15 years ago (let along 50 years) look like a candle in a sock. To me, I like the warm light and dont like the shadows LED seem to cast, but the batteries last so much longer, example.. my hunting lamp last approx 90 minute on full beam. My LED lamp working off same battery easily doubles that time in fact it has never gone flat while in use.
So what's it all go to do with petrol chain saws? Let's face it we are getting older and dont like change, I love engines and have so many tools to work on them with after a life time, i need a bigger workshop.
An electric saw all you need is a file and a simple tool to adjust the chain. Kids are growing up different and fast they wont hesitate to buy a battery saw. And to finish it off a friend of mine now in his mid 70's bought a battery stihl chainsaw and thinks it's great, he sai a battery last about the same as a tank full (i cant cement not used one) but my other friend a bit younger keeps going on mainly through jealousy "why did he buy a battery saw, paid all that money" then he says to me "i cant start my old 266 it's too hard to pull over" I just smile and say now you know why he got a battery saw🤦‍♂️
Sorry if this is a bit long, times are changing and we dont like change

Yeah it's been a long time coming for a Fuel Efficient Alternative, Stihl is coming out with a Full line of Fuel Injected Diesel 2 Stroke Powersaws in 2024, just for California....

Mad3400
I'd totally buy a diesel chainsaw probably the only way I'd replace my ms660, it's hard to beat diesels in the torque department.

Back