How to start an argument? Future of gas powered saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wait until you get some forest fires started by those battery packs. Logging equipment gets handled roughly. Once those packs heat up and run away there is absolutely no way to extinguish them short of completely depriving them of O2. Complete submersion in a nonflammable gas or liquid is the only way to shut them down, and then they need to be disposed of very carefully. The fire danger is much greater than gasoline. At least you can put a gas fire out with an ABC fire extinguisher and a shovel.

Here is what all these battery packs look like inside. Just a bunch of AA cells strung together. Note the foil traces soldered to the cells. You would think the packs should be rebuildable but they are not.
If the pack is dropped, or takes some kind of blow; any one of those cells can overheat and ignite the others. If you notice any heat or swelling you have to submerge the pack immediately, move the container outside, and call the FD.

eta: The battery in that pic costs about $600-$800 and has about a 4-5 year/1200 charging cycle service life

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_112034.jpg
    IMG_20230904_112034.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 0
Try some of them before commenting on how slow you think they are. Make sure the battery isn't nearly dead. Sharp chain and correct depths are a must for these little saws
Just commenting on the battery saw I seen being slow. No plans on trying any of them yet when you start to compare the power to weight ratio of battery saws like say the milwaukee m18 since I have all milwaukee electric tools it's closer to the weight of a 90cc saw with the battery than a 50cc saw they compare it too.

Batteries in their current state of performance, will not replace gas. They just don't have the capability yet.

It will take a revolution in battery tech to make the permanent switch.

The problem with batteries is, the weight. At some point the weight overcomes the practicality of the convenience. We can extol the convivences all we want, work gets done with gas and diesel powered machines.
When Oak trees start sprouting outlets I will run electric saws.

I have one

I should have said I would buy a new production diesel chainsaw that was a true diesel engine with a injection pump or atleast injectors with a minimum of 10k psi and 18:1 or more compression ratio also with the new computer controlled saws it would be nice to have computer controlled advanced injection timing.

I should have said I would buy a new production diesel chainsaw that was a true diesel engine with a injection pump or atleast injectors with a minimum of 10k psi and 18:1 or more compression ratio also with the new computer controlled saws it would be nice to have computer controlled advanced injection timing.
Ok

Just commenting on the battery saw I seen being slow. No plans on trying any of them yet when you start to compare the power to weight ratio of battery saws like say the milwaukee m18 since I have all milwaukee electric tools it's closer to the weight of a 90cc saw with the battery than a 50cc saw they compare it too.

I'll leave you to wallow in your ignorance. Enjoy it!

What makes a diesel is the "diesel cycle" of compression ignition.

Not, what is know as...common rail tech.

What makes a diesel is the "diesel cycle" of compression ignition.

Not, what is know as...common rail tech.
True but compression ignition alone can still make for a crappy diesel engine.

If you want something weird to think about look at the GDCI engines it's a gasoline engine that's compression ignition like a diesel. So is it really a gas engine or a diesel engine at that point....I don't know.

True but compression ignition alone can still make for a crappy diesel engine.

If you want something weird to think about look at the GDCI engines it's a gasoline engine that's compression ignition like a diesel. So is it really a gas engine or a diesel engine at that point....I don't know.

Does the fuel matter more or does the physics of the cycle matter more? The Atkinson cycle engine is probably more efficient than the GDCI engine and Toyota has been putting that in Tacomas for years now.

Does the fuel matter more or does the physics of the cycle matter more? The Atkinson cycle engine is probably more efficient than the GDCI engine and Toyota has been putting that in Tacomas for years now.
idk that's the question I guess the military had what they called a multi fuel engine which was a diesel engine with a spark plug so it could run a bunch of different things.

I don't think compression ignition alone is enough because you could take a chainsaw a keep raising the compression till it would fire on diesel without a spark plug but I wouldn't consider that a diesel engine.

Back