How to start an argument? Future of gas powered saws ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the homeowner, battery saws are great - no carb problems from gas left in the tank all year, no mixing, etc.

For anyone who has to work in the field - not so good. First, they are significantly slower. If you're paying guys $30+/hr, you can't afford even an extra 20%, and I've yet to see a battery saw that will do a 24 or 36 in bar.

Also, carrying extra batteries in the field is bulkier than gas, and I can run all day on $15 worth of gas, to keep running all day on batteries will take several hundred dollars worth of batteries. Who's paying for that?

Someday, with breakthru battery tech, we will get there. If it's within 20 years, I'll be surprised.

Dusty

If you want something weird to think about look at the GDCI engines it's a gasoline engine that's compression ignition like a diesel. So is it really a gas engine or a diesel engine at that point....I don't know.

There'a also the Honda two strokes that used "activated radical" combustion. If you have ever been on an air cooled two stroke that overheated and then started running stronger and would not shut off with the kill switch, that's the uncontrolled version. Honda figured out how to control it and use its more efficient combustion for a strong performing low emissions two stroke. They needed EFI and a special high temp exhaust valve to do it. The technology ended up in their Dakar and Baja race bikes (which did well in their races) and on some production bikes not sold in the US.

idk that's the question I guess the military had what they called a multi fuel engine which was a diesel engine with a spark plug so it could run a bunch of different things.

I don't think compression ignition alone is enough because you could take a chainsaw a keep raising the compression till it would fire on diesel without a spark plug but I wouldn't consider that a diesel engine.
Here is a video of a TD-14 which starts on gas and runs on diesel. I grew up running an older version.

Back