How To Use A Chainsaw Safely 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This was posted in a thread about what to choose as a beginner saw. I will try to edit this thread with the author when I find it again... (EDIT: It was by member "Haironyourchest")...

If I understand correctly, this is your first time doing serious chansawing....if so, I would go for a cheap no-name box store saw, or a working but cheap used saw of any make. Chances are, you will subject the saw to a lot of abuse (unintentionally) as you learn the ropes. Sub-optimal chain sharpening, over revving, under revving, forcing, running the fuel tank dry, forgetting to fill the oil tank, not cleaning the bar oiler holes, over/under tentioning the chain, getting dirt in the nose sprocket, rocking the chain, goosing from cold, sudden shutoff when hot, not cleaning the air filter, getting crap in the intake when you do clean the air filter, not cleaning out the internals....not saying you will necessarily do any or all of these things, but there is a good chance that you will - I certainly did. And they all contribute to premature wear and failure. My thinking is it's better to make the mistakes with a cheap saw, and invest money when you are ready for a good one. I ruined a thousand euro saw because of one simple mistake (underrevving) and I'd been doing this for years.

The main point of this thread is... there is a lot of great info in there. I have read a bazillion threads on chainsaws over the past few years, since I got my first saw, and I've watched many a video. Now, there is some good stuff in the above paragraph and some of it, I've never heard before. Is there a book or video that covers stuff like the above? I've watched some vids by Husky, for instance, and it's good stuff but it's not as detailed as the above.

I mentioned there are a few things above which I have not read/heard... like, what is underrevving?

Is there a book or video that covers stuff like the above? I've watched some vids by Husky, for instance, and it's good stuff but it's not as detailed as the above.
Here is a thread I started on chainsaw safety information:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-safety-falling-safety-videos.328349/

There is a lot of cr*p on YouTube. There are also a lot of conflicting opinions, based on different perspectives (production versus risk, etc.).
For a beginner (since you used '101' in the thread title), I think that you need to start with very basic information on saw operation, risks, hazards, PPE, basic cuts, basic maintenance, etc. That is a lot to absorb and understand.

As a sawyer gains experience and proficiency, it is possible to coach them (or let them 'self-coach') with more detailed information, nuances, etc. A lot of that stuff is scattered thoughout the threads in forums like this. There are dozens of threads just on sharpening, for example, along with maintenance, trouble shooting, etc.

Philbert

For a beginner (since you used '101' in the thread title), I think that you need to start with very basic information on saw operation, risks, hazards, PPE, basic cuts, basic maintenance, etc. That is a lot to absorb and understand...

I bought my first saw a few years ago. Have learned a lot but still much to learn. Chainsawing, especially in the woods, is really dangerous! I got reminded yesterday when I was clearing a trail and a simple cut on a small, 4" tree turned a little scary when part of the tree came crashing down unexpectedly and fast. Yes, it was small but with the force it hit the ground, I was thinking, "Gee that would have hurt had it hit me!" Caution is in order even with little trees!

There should be a chainsaw/felling/limbing/bucking school! As you say, the basic info is a lot to absorb and understand.

Yup, there’s a lot of really bad “sharpeners” on YouTube. They must’ve sharpened every used saw I’ve bought..

I’d say there’s about 1 guy (or less) who can sharpen for every 10 that offers advice on the ‘tube. I’m not even a very good sharpener and I can see it. You guys that are students of the subject must be :baba::(:eek: :ices_rofl:

There should be a chainsaw/felling/limbing/bucking school! As you say, the basic info is a lot to absorb and understand.
Hard to find. Even my local STIHL dealer is reluctant to hold classes due to liability.

There are some professional companies that teach this stuff, mostly to arborist companies, municipal parks departments, etc., but hard for an individual to attend. One year I 'snuck' into a yearly 'refresher' session sponsored by my county, when they told me that there were a few extra seats available. Learned a lot.

The USFS and NPS sometimes hold basic chainsaw training for trail maintenance volunteers. I have attended a few of those, and they were pretty good. Might have to search for, and sign up with a trail club to participate.

I teach basic chainsaw safety classes for some volunteer disaster response organizations - again, you would need to join and participate.

USFS and BLM also teach a 'S212' chainsaw class for wildland fire fighters, but you need to do the fire fighting thing first. The instructional materials are posted in that thread.

Tree Care Industry Association offers some training: https://www.tcia.org/

Google 'chainsaw safety training' for some more opportunities from for-profit and non-profit organizations.

Philbert

Dunno about this advice. I think it is bad. IMO you are far better off learning to cut with a good quality saw than a cheap knock off saw. Also you are more likely to survive the experience using a good quality saw. If you abuse and blow up a stupid saw (Earthquake saws?), you are just as likely to abuse and blow up a quality saw later on.

BTW - (slightly off topic, but I tripped over this looking to answer the OP's question):
Anyone have a copy of the training materials for the Boy Scouts of America Chain Saw Safety Training course, No. 20-136 ?

Just curious. I like to see how all these different courses fit together, or where they differ.

Thanks.

Philbert

BTW - (slightly off topic, but I tripped over this looking to answer the OP's question):
Anyone have a copy of the training materials for the Boy Scouts of America Chain Saw Safety Training course, No. 20-136 ?

Just curious. I like to see how all these different courses fit together, or where they differ.

Thanks.

Philbert

I would also like to see this. I wouldn't have thought that BSA would allow scouts at all to use anything as dangerous as a chainsaw. I know that for local Eagle Scout projects the scouts are not allowed to use power tools of any kind. Adults must do this for them.

BTW, if the above course is current a phone call to BSA should get you the course materials.

I would also like to see this. I wouldn't have thought that BSA would allow scouts at all to use anything as dangerous as a chainsaw.
Apparently, the user has to be at least 18, and pass this class, or have some other accepted certification (listed on their site): https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/safety-moments/chain-saws/

Because I conduct chainsaw safety training, I am always interested in comparing what other organizations teach, emphasize, etc.

Philbert

Hard to find. Even my local STIHL dealer is reluctant to hold classes due to liability.

There are some professional companies that teach this stuff, mostly to arborist companies, municipal parks departments, etc., but hard for an individual to attend. One year I 'snuck' into a yearly 'refresher' session sponsored by my county, when they told me that there were a few extra seats available. Learned a lot.

The USFS and NPS sometimes hold basic chainsaw training for trail maintenance volunteers. I have attended a few of those, and they were pretty good. Might have to search for, and sign up with a trail club to participate.

I teach basic chainsaw safety classes for some volunteer disaster response organizations - again, you would need to join and participate.

USFS and BLM also teach a 'S212' chainsaw class for wildland fire fighters, but you need to do the fire fighting thing first. The instructional materials are posted in that thread.

Google 'chainsaw safety training' for some more opportunities from for-profit and non-profit organizations.

Philbert

Does not cover everything but....

BC Fallers Standard series is on Youtube.
It's old but still stands.
I've learned some there and also gotten confirmation on my own observations.
Some pretty good footage of big trees being worked from the ground.

I mentioned there are a few things above which I have not read/heard... like, what is underrevving?
I worked on three Jonsered 2186 saws (2 mfd in 2002 1 mfd in 2006) they were Purchased new and are One owner saws One was scored and credited to a plugged tank vent and original fuel line zip tied and puckered at the carb barb. Other 2 had fins off of cylinders a broken intake flange, air filter, carb kits, dire need of cleaning, mufflers were bent from getting thin. Mostly walnut and oak most of the felling was bore cut. Owner has been logging for 50? years and is experienced.
Now the Under revving part - He keeps his chains sharp and seldom uses the dawgs and doesn't crowd the cut.. BUT he tends to feather the throttle and not cut even his big cuts wide open (WOT) I set the saws at 12,800 or so for a bit of break in time and to me they sound great 4 stroking and so on ... He feels they are on the lean side and is concerned this might lead to top end trouble. I have helped him in the timber and my personal opinion is that he isn't running the saw fast (hard) enough to get the most of it and to keep it clean (Cobbs from building up) But he has no issues with fowling plugs / this is the first time P/C and carbs were off.. Ex. had a bit of goo like carbon but not bad so I think they need to be run a bit faster but it works for him and the saws have held up great for the work they have done. This is what I would explain as "Under Revving" or "Almost Under Revving:nofunny:" I am certainly open for comments and critique .
Lugging...
"LUGGING" is a good fit for a definition and keeps it simple Some may think it is from crowding it to hard with the dawgs or a dull chain or the drags to low etc. From my reply on under revving maybe some beginner will benefit from a broader view, I prefer to open the throttle as I go into the cut (some for safety reasons) but no sense dallying in the cut and and have it four stroking more than necessary.

I would also like to see this. I wouldn't have thought that BSA would allow scouts at all to use anything as dangerous as a chainsaw. I know that for local Eagle Scout projects the scouts are not allowed to use power tools of any kind. Adults must do this for them.

BTW, if the above course is current a phone call to BSA should get you the course materials.

And we had “firecracker day” in Winnipeg when I was 5 and 6 years old (I don’t know how much longer it went on, or if was a “block party” or what because we headed west when I was 7).

That was when anybody that could hold and/or throw a fireworks and light a match blew **** up for fun.

Eegads! The horror!

Of course, that’s when most of us sat on our dad’s lap and steered when we were about the same age..

Vehicle capacity was determined by how many people could squeeze into a seat. Sometimes a passenger had to shift gears. Ha!

Most of us lived.

Everyone starts somewhere, good safety habits should be paramount.
On the other hand, while I've never been cut by a moving chain, the rest was highly educational.
Noisy events should be avoided.

Philbert
I've been through several trainings,and the best one by far has been Game of Logging, level I and level II. You learn a good bit about saw maintenance and mechanics, as well as carb tuning and chain sharpening. I know that some of the western folks on the forum don't prefer the game of logging notch, but I swear by it and it works for the work that I do, which is cutting trees on wildlife management areas and occasional residential removals. Forest service trainings like S-212 are mostly ok, but some of the park rangers that teach them are kind of questionable themselves. You will have much more classroom time and learn a wider variety of felling techniques, many of which you won't need. It all comes down to the quality of your instructors, as there really aren't many qualifications besides the initial certification to teach the class. After the S-212 cert is obtained, you can pursue higher 'faller' levels, each rated up to a certain dbh (I think a faller 3 is 32"+.....). Anyhow, for a private citizen, game of logging level II is the way to go. It does get pricy, though.

Apparently, the user has to be at least 18, and pass this class, or have some other accepted certification (listed on their site): https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/safety-moments/chain-saws/

Because I conduct chainsaw safety training, I am always interested in comparing what other organizations teach, emphasize, etc.

Philbert

I find that interesting. I’ve done a fair bit of work at BSA camps through the Order of the Arrow, and while I held a C cert, I was never asked to provide documentation. I guess walking in with a well used 3/4 wrap 044 or 046 with a 28” bar, hard hat, gloves & chaps was enough?

To answer the OP: If you can, the BC Faller Training videos are about as good as you’ll get on the internet. The Buckin’ Billy Ray Smith guy annoys the crap out of me and he seems a little “fake” to me. He does tend to keep good, sharp chains though. I don’t really like how he cuts though, it just seems sort of loose and sloppy to me. Haven’t looked at his stuff in a while. Corey over at the Human YouTube channel is a pretty good arborist with good technique up in the tree and on the ground.

But in all seriousness, your best chance is to get someone who knows what they’re doing, and safely, to teach you hands-on how to run a saw. For me, it was my dad. A lot of new guys aren’t from farms or forestry, so finding someone may be difficult. But they can tweak your technique and give you actual feedback on what you’re doing before the saw starts doing it for you. The person teaching you doesn’t strictly have to be an arborist or a faller. There are plenty of farmers running around who keep up with me putting hardwood on the ground and some of them are faster than me limbing & bucking. But it should be someone you trust not to ******** you into thinking they know more than they do, because that just puts you in a bad spot with bad information that can get you hurt or killed running a saw.

I like Buckin’

Though I think he should wear his ppe at all times. And he needs to be more careful what he shows. Some may kill themselves working like he does.

“Loose”, yup that’s it. A little too loose.

I don’t think he’s fake.

Back