How was your day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuckwood, I seen in your tag line you have a bushel basket of L65 parts. I have a 5gal bucket full of one l65 torn down. You dont happen to have a good bottom end for a L65 do ya? Mine was a perfectly good saw until my sons house burnt down. The saw was forgotten about and left setting in a bucket in the weather. Bucket fills with water and saw locks down before we even thought about it. I suspect crank rod bearing is to rusty to even try running, but the top end isnt hurt.

Chuckwood, I seen in your tag line you have a bushel basket of L65 parts. I have a 5gal bucket full of one l65 torn down. You dont happen to have a good bottom end for a L65 do ya? Mine was a perfectly good saw until my sons house burnt down. The saw was forgotten about and left setting in a bucket in the weather. Bucket fills with water and saw locks down before we even thought about it. I suspect crank rod bearing is to rusty to even try running, but the top end isnt hurt.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do have a good bottom end ready to go. I'll have to check to make sure. I used to grab those up when I found them at a good price on ebay. I've got a new top end for an L77, which is the more rare 77cc version of the L65. I planning on someday building a frankensaw with an L65 bottom and L77 top. I've got all the parts except for the longer plug ignition wire I'll need for the 77, haven't figured out yet how to get or make one, probably can make one easy out of another ignition wire from a small engine parts pile. I've already got a good running L77 I use all the time. I must have around four or five bottom ends in the attic in various condition. One has a crack in one of the halfs, and needs to be split with a good half put back in and it will be good to go, I've got the good spare half for it. Another got water damage like yours and needs new bearings, bearings are still available brand new. Another bottom end is perfectly good, but I made a big mistake of trying to clean it with brake cleaner. The stuff made all the paint start flaking off inside the crankcase, so it will probably need to be split, cleaned thoroughly inside, and paint chips cleaned out of the bearings. I've never split a case before, and I don't have a splitting press so these things are all sitting on the back burner. I've got a plasma torch and I weld, and when I get time I plan on making my own case splitter and fixing these bottom ends. You'll see L65 bottom ends on ebay all the time for sale cheap. I'm partial to the old Husky L series saw because the L65 was the very first saw purchase I made back in the late seventies, and that first saw performed flawlessly for three decades cutting firewood.

The only difference in the l65 and l77 is the bore. The l65 has a 48mm bore and the L77 has a 52mm bore. Both saws use the same 36mm stroke crank. Crank bearings will interchange across a wide model range. My problem is the rod bearing, I am sure i could buy a rod bearing to fit, but who wants to press a crank apart to replace the bearing. I have often wondered about using a crank with a different stroke to build a true frankenstine hybrid, but cant find the information needed to see if a different stroke crank can be made to fit. A 365 has the same 36mm stroke, but dont know if it will fit the case.

The only difference in the l65 and l77 is the bore. The l65 has a 48mm bore and the L77 has a 52mm bore. Both saws use the same 36mm stroke crank. Crank bearings will interchange across a wide model range. My problem is the rod bearing, I am sure i could buy a rod bearing to fit, but who wants to press a crank apart to replace the bearing. I have often wondered about using a crank with a different stroke to build a true frankenstine hybrid, but cant find the information needed to see if a different stroke crank can be made to fit. A 365 has the same 36mm stroke, but dont know if it will fit the case.

Here is a very clean looking L65 case on ebay. 47 bucks including shipping, price is buy it now. There are also crank assemblies for sale on ebay as well for these saws if you want to mess around with splitting the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-L...129994?hash=item3d0e5f464a:g:qq4AAOSwYHxWQ5rF

Here is a very clean looking L65 case on ebay. 47 bucks including shipping, price is buy it now. There are also crank assemblies for sale on ebay as well for these saws if you want to mess around with splitting the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-L...129994?hash=item3d0e5f464a:g:qq4AAOSwYHxWQ5rF
Seen it an almost bought it, but I am saw poor now, 3-55's, a 346xp and a 365. I'll have to drag the old 65 out and see just what and all I need before I start buying parts.

Spidey, sorry about the hijack, but you had to know that sooner or later this thread had to convert to a chainsaw topic. :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back