How would you respond to this eBay buyer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marti384

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I sold a flywheel on eBay, and the seller says it had a broken key. He wants a refund plus return shipping. I have a grainy picture of the flywheel with the key intact, but I don't know if some eBay tech in India would know what they are looking at in the picture. How do I respond to the buyer?

Have him send the one u sent him back then youll replace or refund money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you try and fight it and e-bay might ask for some corroboration from a long time seller, {which I seriously doubt},
I would be glad to go to bat for your side of this.
They won't try to help you at all, but tell you to submit, and refund the moron. But for the betterment of us all,
put up this moron's e-bay username, so I can go ahead and block him!!

Your refund policy should state who is responsible for return shipping. Accept the return and let him mail it back. It's tough sometimes but the best policy is a "no questions asked" return policy. Saves a lot of back and forth and in the end, ebay will side with the buyer.

I used to sell on ebay about 10-15 years ago. I have noticed since then that the rules have changed in favor of buyers over sellers. This makes sense because the more buyer money that comes in, the more seller fees they generate. And since sellers don't have anywhere else to go, ebay can up the fees and prohibit sellers from giving buyers negative feedback unless they are total deadbeats. And then their Paypal takes an additional fee from the seller.

Most of my listings are as is, no returns. But it really doesn't matter to eBay. I think I will ask him for a picture of it, to make sure it is the same part I sent him and go from there.

Take a diamond scriber and make an identifiable mark on an inconspicuous area. Photograph the mark - angled light is best - and you have a record of the real part. If your mark is absent on the returned part, you have your evidence (Sherlock Holmes' "the dog that didn't bark").

Doesn't matter at all. If he says "defective", then the seller has to pay the return shipping.... As well as full refund.

Period..

Which is why E-bay now pushes the seller to refund and let the buyer keep the item as well, the seller at least won't lose on that expense....

It ain't right, but is how it is.....

I have had buyers send back old used carbs, literally with rust/crud on the adj. screws, and claim that is what I sent them.
Flywheels..... Well that "defective" key thing.......

I had one last week, it was a trimmer handle. He claimed it was defective, but he messaged me instead of opening a case. After a bunch of back and forth, he had tried to dismantle the handle, instead of just removing the shaft from the trimmer and slipping on the new handle. To his credit, he hasn't opened a case yet, even though I refused,
and vowed to try and fight it...

Need to make a marking on parts that are sold. Punch a number somewhere on it. Be the easyest way to determine if they switch parts.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I sent him a message asking for a picture of the key sheared, to compare it to the picture of the flywheel I sold him. If he sends a picture, at least I can show it to eBay. But I think if he doesn't want to, he could just open a case and ebay would side with him.

"For parts or repair".

From a buyers (me) perspective:
I just sent back a saw carcass to Clinton, Arkansas. There were no salvageable parts on the thing. Documented the carnage with eight pictures.
Evilbay sided with me.

Now the seller will eat Priority Mail. Both directions on top of loosing the purchase price.

I tried to work it out with him but he got arrogant and stubborn.

"For parts or repair".

I just sent back a saw carcass to Clinton, Arkansas. There were no salvageable parts on the thing. Documented the carnage with eight pictures.
Evilbay sided with me.

Now the seller will eat Priority Mail. Both directions on top of loosing the purchase price.

We need pics and a link to the auction!!

"For parts or repair".

Evilbay sided with me.

There is no question that E-bay would have sided with you, I am just curious to see if we would have....

Latest posts

Back