How would you respond to this eBay buyer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are screwed. (as a seller)

Just give the jerk a refund and be done with it. (unless you have lots of time to waste and can live with a bad feedback. (accept the fact that some buyers on flea bay are scammers and take advantage of the seller and ebay taking the side of the buyer and knowing the seller does not want any bad feedback)
ebay will take the side of the buyer usually, ebay will do the refund to the buyer if you don't, then ebay will take the money from your account, and you will still get a bad feedback most generally.

Not worth the hassle, most generally.

It's not like you can give the buyer one of these easily.:buttkick:

and the buyer kinda sounds like someone that probably voted for Hillary and is still depressed that they lost their vote.;)

I could afford to lose it, it would only be about a $20 refund. I just am pissed that this person is either lying about what I sold him, or sheared the key off due to poor installation and decided to try and get me to pay for his incompetence instead of just learning from his mistake and moving on. I may well have him send it back and refund him, I just hold a grudge well and am too angry to do it yet.

I've read this whole thread from start to now.........I have never sold a thing on ebay but bought many things....the vast majority was parts saws, saw parts and NOS parts lots. I did buy one saw advertised as in running condition.....but most purchases are pretty low priced. I've got some junk that was not as described but still had good parts even if what I wanted was beyond use. I've got some parts that were broken even after I had specifically asked if they were broken in the same specific place. I'm almost always dealing in NLA items.....the only place to find these anyway near quickly is ebay. I consider myself an a honest person......but I rarely pay more on ebay than I can afford to lose......I'm not a gambler by nature but I do figure the odds. All that said I have never filed a claim (yet) nor had to badger a seller......I always treat the seller with respect and simply state my case in a straight up manner. That has always worked (so far) for me. Two transactions come to mind....the first was the one saw I bought, reputed to be in good condition.....it was the 630 West Coast in my sig......shipping was slow but communication was good....it arrived.....nice shape....looked it all over... put the 24" B&C on... put in some fuel and bar oil and took it outside...fired up on the third pull......saweeet.......took it down back and put it in some wood...cut good but about the third cut the throttle seemed to hang up and it was revving high.....I shut it off and took it back to the shop and looked into it.......come to find out both throttle plate screws were 2 1/2 turns loose!!!! I never hassled the seller......how could he/she have known??? (and from the conversations I took the seller to be female) And had I not been very familiar with the saw family and tried to "rev the skip out of it" like an idiot it would have ended very poorly. Another time I bought a Jonsereds 90...junk......cheep.....I think I paid $26....nobody else bid...I think shipping was $14........the guy messages me before I even receive the saw......says it in really bad shape and he'll refund if I want........I says "Well I'm only interested in certain parts and those looked OK in the pics.......so lets wait until it arrives"........It did....whooo man this thing had been sitting under a dryer vent.....was covered in lint and the fabreeze was enough to make ya puke.....however what I needed was the top cover, airfilter cover and air filter....which were in good order......just about then the guy messages again...we chat and I tell him...yeah it's in rough shape but I got what I needed and was fine with deal....if he wanted to refund 5 or 10 bux...good... but not necessary, I had already left him positive feed back.....you know......the guy refunded the whole price...shipping and all.....I kinda felt bad but in a good way!! The moral is....at least as I see it....has to do with the attitude of the seller and the buyer......if everyone treats each other with due respect it all goes well......if not..some body is gonna lose.....and it certainly seems like ebay rules do favor the buyer over the seller......which sucks......should be an even tabulation according to the evidence provided......not just one sided judgement.....

I could afford to lose it, it would only be about a $20 refund. I just am pissed that this person is either lying about what I sold him, or sheared the key off due to poor installation and decided to try and get me to pay for his incompetence instead of just learning from his mistake and moving on. I may well have him send it back and refund him, I just hold a grudge well and am too angry to do it yet.

Kinda surprised that
Several people I've talked too, some are supposedly mechanics and several I have not talked too do not know that a flywheel is suppose to be installed with the crank shaft taper and the flywheel taper completely dry and de-greased and then properly torqued and this friction fit is what is intended to hold/sieze the flywheel in place, not the flywheel key and the key is too only ensure that the flywheel is installed with correct engine timing. If a key is shearded for no immediate apparent reason I keep a heads up when inspecting/ removing the flywheel nut for proper torque and check that the crank and taper is free of lube.
I've seen steel keys installed instead of the soft aluminum key and cranks and flywheels ruined due to the steel key breaking the flywheel or crank slot before shearing or not shearing because Bubba lubed the crank so as he could remove the flywheel easier next time and installed a steel key to hold the flywheel in place and lightly tightened the flywheel nut so as the flywheel could be easier to remove next time if needed and thinking that the steel key will now hold the flywheel in place instead of that wimpy aluminum key.:buttkick:.

Latest posts

Back