How would you respond to this eBay buyer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the standpoint of a seller, ePay / PayPal policies make me uneasy. It's entirely too easy for fraudulent buyers to pull a fast one.

As a buyer, I like the protection that I get buying on eBay. If something shows up damaged or not as described I know that I'll probably be taken care of.

There is no question that E-bay would have sided with you, I am just curious to see if we would have....

Not wanting to start the usual he said he said debate but since it is resolved:

90 psi & no spark. 011 Stihl.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1192...=222459891221&ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:US:3160

Scored.
c74dc1318c7b21318913dc1fe99f520f.jpg

Fuel tank white death.
f4bdd28fd1149604ce0a8271eb138f19.jpg

3f71d228ae21e316f1abc6b8988321c8.jpg

Broken muffler bolt.
95fdd8263c769f13fa0abee577ea2501.jpg

Yeah, drill that one out.[emoji37]
Broken flywheel fin.
7ebc555eabf9c1bb5aed7ed248cb8022.jpg

Throttle cable ripped off.
a1d27f9c7e5b356bd2c251e4bcf55408.jpg

Frozen chain.
dadbb8e9c5b64f430384d4867bdaecd3.jpg

Frozen sprocket nose.
092b695be14cf9fdda018946a7dd684f.jpg

No air filter.
No oil filter.
One screw held on the starter.
Carb throttle blade bent/stuck.

Seller obviously drug a carcass off an outdoor bone pile and listed it with little or no inspection.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/985buell?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Ebay disregards the sellers return policy. Any extra description applied to the return policy is ignored as well. Ebay automatically refunds the buyer in certain cases, without the seller's approval. The seller can appeal after that happens. If that fails, open a case with paypal because Ebay took money out of your account without your approval. Don't forget to add the buyer to your blocked bidders. Most of the time, the Ebay customer service agents can't even pronounce any of the words in my titles. Point is, they are completely clueless to any mechanical claim. People associate Ebay with Walmart and in reality, it's an auction house. When was the last time your returned an item to an auction you attended? Ebay has the buyer protection program and they should be the one's funding it.

Online auctions are related to live auctions in name only.

You are referring to Ebay's evolved rules for their online auctions. Ebay got it's start with penny no reserve auctions. There are many online auction companies now that are real auctioneers. I seriously doubt they accept returns. I understand Ebay is trying to account for bad sellers, but in doing so, they opened the door to abusive buyers. That started long ago when they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback.

Here is the policy to an auction site I've seen advertised:

Terms & Conditions
Bidding on and buying auction assets on www.purplewave.com and its affiliated websites are subject to the series of obligations and rules below.

The Terms of Website Use for this site.
The auction-specific terms and conditions unique to each auction, which are represented on the auction details page for each auction on this site.
The following general auction terms and conditions.
Sold AS-IS, WHERE IS

PURPLE WAVE, INC. (PURPLE WAVE) AND SELLER FURNISH ALL AUCTION ASSETS TO BUYERS AS IS, UNSUPPORTED, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. PURPLE WAVE AND SELLER DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Assets are sold in their actual current condition, with all faults and defects, and with all errors of description. Purple Wave’s liability to a purchaser will never exceed the purchase price actually paid for an asset.

Bidders accept all auction assets with all faults, whether or not immediately apparent. Bidders are responsible for ascertaining actual current condition through personal inspection and careful review of the description, pictures, video and/or support documentation. Every bidder agrees that his or her decision to bid and the amount he or she bids have been based solely on his or her own independent inspection and evaluation of the auction assets.

Bidders are strongly advised by Purple Wave to take care to satisfy all questions or concerns about the auction process, bidding process or auction assets before placing a bid. Inspection and contact information for the seller of every asset is posted in the item details for that asset.

Buyers are responsible for the cost of auction asset mobilization, disassembly, rigging, transport, insurance and all other costs related to physical transfer of auction assets from their location at the time auction bidding ends.

If the pictures displayed with descriptions do not appear to match, contact [email protected] or call 866.608.9283 to report the auction date and item number.

ABANDONED ASSET POLICY

Purple Wave may declare an asset abandoned when a buyer fails to make full payment by the stated payment deadline or when a buyer fails to remove an asset from the auction site by the stated removal deadline. When Purple Wave declares an asset abandoned, it may take the following steps in its sole discretion:

Purple Wave may resell the asset in an upcoming auction on the buyer’s behalf for an additional administrative fee of 20% of the original invoice price (minimum $1,000 fee) and account for the resale as follows:
Net proceeds, if any, will be released to the buyer, calculated as the resale bid price collected plus any amounts paid by the buyer against the original invoice, less all administrative and storage fees accrued;
If the resale bid price collected plus amounts paid by the buyer against the original invoice are insufficient to cover the buyer's administrative and storage fees accrued, the deficiency will continue to be owed by the buyer, and Purple Wave and the seller will retain all legal remedies to obtain that deficiency;
Net proceeds may be retained and used by Purple Wave to offset any amounts owed by the buyer related to other past or pending purchases or sales of assets by the buyer or a related party.
Where the original invoice price is < $2,000, Purple Wave may allow the seller to retain or dispose of the asset, declare the buyer’s rights to the asset immediately terminated, and retain all payments by buyer as liquidated damages.
Where an asset is declared abandoned under this policy after the buyer has been issued a certificate of title, the buyer agrees Purple Wave and its administrative personnel are appointed as buyer’s true and lawful attorney-in-fact to apply for a Certificate of Title and/or Registration upon and/or endorse and transfer title for the asset(s) in issue and, by acknowledging these terms and conditions, the buyer swears or affirms that this appointment is true and correct.

ABSENTEE BIDS

While Purple Wave will make every effort to assist bidders, we do not accept absentee bids. Please utilize the maximum bid feature.

BID RESCISSION AND REJECTION

Purple Wave reserves the right to rescind or reject any and all bids.

BID RETRACTION

Buyers agree not to retract any bid they place on the site.

BUYER’S PREMIUM

A 10% buyer’s premium will be added to all winning bids, resulting in the total purchase price.

SALES TAX

All sales are subject to appropriate state sales tax laws. Winning bidders have the burden of proving their exemption from sales taxes to Purple Wave.

ASSET TRANSFER AND RISK OF LOSS POST-AUCTION

Assets will not be released to buyers until full payment to Purple Wave has been received and funds confirmed. An auction asset becomes the full responsibility of the buyer at the close of bidding on that asset, and the buyer immediately assumes all risk of loss and damage to the asset.

AUCTIONEER’S DISCRETION

Purple Wave has full discretion to modify the date and time, order, and details of the sale of any asset or conduct of any auction for any reason or no reason at all, including but not limited to technical issues, emergencies, and convenience of Purple Wave or the seller.

CHOICE OF LAW AND VENUE; WAIVER

In any matters in which Purple Wave and/or any of its employees, officers, directors, shareholders, agents or assigns is made a party, the law of the State of Kansas shall apply, without regard to its law pertaining to conflict of laws, and any dispute shall be decided in the courts of Riley County, Kansas. All claimants consent to the personal jurisdiction of those courts. Auctioneer may waive any provision of these Terms and Conditions, but only in writing. No such waiver shall effect any other provisions of these Terms and Conditions, nor shall it amount to a permanent waiver of that particular provision.

Updated: May 9, 2016

I usually try to limit my ebay buying/selling to a lot less than in the past. I now do a little more buying (parts only) than I do selling saws. I listed a half dozen running saws and they ran for several weeks without a sale so I'm thinking it might not be a future thing to mess with..

The smarter ones will insure packages so if they show up damaged everyone is covered. They also list all damage and blemishes with adequate pictures so the buyer has no leg to stand on in the event of an illegitimate dispute. They don't just leave descriptions that state: "for parts only, no returns, what you see is what you get".

As a seller it is bad business to run customers away and ban them from future transactions. I hear too many sellers say they've blocked buyers for asking too many questions. That's about as fukkin dumb a move as I've ever heard. Block someone for trying to make sure they are buying exactly what they want to avoid a return shipping situation or wasting their money.
Every complaint about eBay made on these forums chases business away and drives prices down. That is what one might call chitting where you eat.

Ebay disregards the sellers return policy. Any extra description applied to the return policy is ignored as well. Ebay automatically refunds the buyer in certain cases, without the seller's approval. The seller can appeal after that happens. If that fails, open a case with paypal because Ebay took money out of your account without your approval. Don't forget to add the buyer to your blocked bidders. Most of the time, the Ebay customer service agents can't even pronounce any of the words in my titles. Point is, they are completely clueless to any mechanical claim. People associate Ebay with Walmart and in reality, it's an auction house. When was the last time your returned an item to an auction you attended? Ebay has the buyer protection program and they should be the one's funding it.
Actually, I think that when you signed up to buy or sell on ebay you gave approval to take money from your account. Most people don't take the time to read all that stuff..

Actually, I think that when you signed up to buy or sell on ebay you gave approval to take money from your account. Most people don't take the time to read all that stuff..

Yes, I don't argue that at all. I signed up to their rules. That doesn't mean I agree with them. I understand that I don't have a choice if I want to continue with this business. Do you realize Paypal and Ebay are separate companies? When you take something back to Walmart or Amazon, do you think your credit card company puts a freeze on the money? When a case is opened in Ebay, the funds are frozen in Paypal.

Yes, I don't argue that at all. I signed up to their rules. That doesn't mean I agree with them. I understand that I don't have a choice if I want to continue with this business. Do you realize Paypal and Ebay are separate companies? When you take something back to Walmart or Amazon, do you think your credit card company puts a freeze on the money? When a case is opened in Ebay, the funds are frozen in Paypal.
They needed to change their rules once they became separate companies, possibly a lawsuit would end this..A lawsuit should also stop ebay from charging shipping fees since they do not ship anything..
Also, when a buyer wants a refund I believe ebay or paypal sets aside the amount of money in your account to repay the buyer, not the full amount or am I mistaken on this?

They needed to change their rules once they became separate companies, possibly a lawsuit would end this..A lawsuit should also stop ebay from charging shipping fees since they do not ship anything..
Also, when a buyer wants a refund I believe ebay or paypal sets aside the amount of money in your account to repay the buyer, not the full amount or am I mistaken on this?
That's the most likely class action lawsuit in my mind, charging sellers fees on shipping, but acting like Ebay and Paypal are still one company may be it.

It is the default to priority mail that turns me off from many listings.[emoji21]

Seriously! Who needs junk delivered that quickly?[emoji15]

I use first class as much as I can, but limited to 16oz. However, 1st class doesn't include insurance. It's the sellers responsibility to get the product to the customer, not the shipping company. So, if the post office loses my 1st class shipment, it's on me. Anything over 16oz, Priority is typically the cheapest way to ship it and as a bonus to the seller, the insurance is included.

My wife worked full time at Ebay during 2016. She put about 8 hours a day in 5 days a week and has over 2000 auctions listed. I help her after work and on weekends. I answer questions and deal with problems throughout the day that I'm awake. A typical problem with a buyer takes 4 hours to resolve. A phone call to Ebay nearly always gets transferred 3 times, without resolution. I figure our hourly wage at $3.65 before taxes, no benefits. Anyone that thinks Ebay is great, take a look at the figures.

Received 42212.24
Coupons 416.21
Paypal Fees -1915.68
Ebay Fees -4236.19
Shipping -7317.72
Mileage -1351.62
Supplies -1699.32
COGS -10544.70
Tools -173.3
Office Space -765
Total income before taxes 14624.92

Latest posts