How's the ms390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarcuda

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i see the stihl ms390 with a 20" bar for sale used every now and then.

have there been any problems with this saw?

ive read that its heavy and not as powerful as some other saws at that weight but what would a good used one go for? I'd be using it for firewood and smaller trees.

Last edited:
Other than the fact that it is heavy for its output and not of pro-grade construction, no - it is a solid, dependable design. Unless you get it stuck in a tree as the tree rotates into other trees in a blowdown pile, bending the bar 45degrees up from its normal position, cracking the plastic chassis and breaking both tanks open, that is - then it is not very solid or durable.

For the price of the 390, you might wish to consider taking the jump up to the 361 - an all-around better saw.

whats a good price for a good used 361?

*edit. i checked around. the 361 is a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
aarcuda said:
whats a good price for a good used 361?

Depends on what kind of condition its in. If in new condition, used hardly at all they can bring as much as 500.00. Year so old and used alot, maybe 250-300. All depends on how she looks and how well its been taken care of. If its beat all to hell price goes down accordingly................

I bought a 390 about a year ago, and it has worked great so far.
Some may bad mouth it, but it is dependable and powerful enough for nearly everything that I have run across.
An example is a 26" dia Red Oak that blew down during the storms this Sunday. Using the original 20" bar, had to cut from 2 sides, but it was not a problem.
One thing, dump the green label safety chain that it comes with and get a yellow label cheisel chain once you are comfortable with the saw. You'll love the improvement. Then keep it sharp!:greenchainsaw:

FWIW,:cheers:
Andy

Andy1234 said:
I bought a 390 about a year ago, and it has worked great so far.
Some may bad mouth it, but it is dependable and powerful enough for nearly everything that I have run across.
An example is a 26" dia Red Oak that blew down during the storms this Sunday. Using the original 20" bar, had to cut from 2 sides, but it was not a problem.
One thing, dump the green label safety chain that it comes with and get a yellow label cheisel chain once you are comfortable with the saw. You'll love the improvement. Then keep it sharp!:greenchainsaw:

FWIW,:cheers:
Andy

Your correct, the 390 is a much better saw than its given credit for. I've sold a few of them and the customers have been delighted with them. Not everyone is a pro cutter and to such customers the 390 is fine for them. The main issue with the 390 is its price and weight. Its running close to a 361 and most grab the 361 based on its weight and power. All the 290's,310's and 390's get a bad rap because of thier weight verses the power they put out but they are about as relieable as can be. I rarely get one back for much of anything other than a cracked fuel line or something very minor. All my yuppie customers as I call them, the guys who cut now and then, all love that family of saws. I sell tons of 290's and 310's and rarely ever see em come back. The 390 is alittle harder sale because its rides in the same boat as the 361. Have had no complaints about either one of them though......

038 Mag is no longer available new in north America because of emissions but good used ones sell for a big buck. Now if anyone has a Brazilian friend with good connections... Stihl had a good promotion here on the 290/390's and once the weekend warriors tried them they sold quickly although we have a few left. The 390 is probably more than most part timers need but offers more power for the same weight as a 290.

Ms390

:help: It is an overweight plastic monster, with a lot of vibration, slow acceleration, and bad air filtration... :deadhorse:

.... otherwise everything is fine .... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of the 029 series of saw...in their intended roles. The 029/290/310/039/390 perform very well in homeowner roles. Firewood, blowdowns, etc. Beyond that, they pale. If you're going to be carrying the saw anywhere, using it for any length of time, or depending on it at all beyond the confines of your yard or five acres, I'd strongly recommend stepping up into a 361. It costs more, but it's worth it, and better in every way. The 039 is a homeowner saw. If you're going to use it for that, it'll be fine. But if you're going to ask anything more than that, or simply want the best 60cc saw out there, go for the 361, or even a used 036/360.

Jeff

THALL10326 said:
Your correct, the 390 is a much better saw than its given credit for. I've sold a few of them and the customers have been delighted with them. Not everyone is a pro cutter and to such customers the 390 is fine for them. The main issue with the 390 is its price and weight. Its running close to a 361 and most grab the 361 based on its weight and power. All the 290's,310's and 390's get a bad rap because of thier weight verses the power they put out but they are about as relieable as can be. I rarely get one back for much of anything other than a cracked fuel line or something very minor. All my yuppie customers as I call them, the guys who cut now and then, all love that family of saws. I sell tons of 290's and 310's and rarely ever see em come back. The 390 is alittle harder sale because its rides in the same boat as the 361. Have had no complaints about either one of them though......

I think Thall is right. I've a friend who has purchased a 390 for his firewood needs recenlty(replacing an Oleo Mac) and he's a real happy camper since. The guy weighs nearly twice as much as me, so the saw weight issue is not a problem to him. I bet that saw is ideal for the regular firewood cutter of farmer :givebeer:

The DNR out of Wenatchee has 390's on all their engines. It's not really that big of a deal, they don't really run them much. Plus, it gives us a chance to snicker at them.

Thanks,

I picked one up. its in great used condition for $300. I wont be cutting down big monster trees and I wont be using it for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time so I wont be too upset that it weighs a pound more than the 361 (although that is a sharp looking saw).

I would have rather the 361 but they seem significantly more expensive and I cant justify the cost for my planned usage.

I've got a 390 and it works great. I've had it for over two years now and no problems. The only thing that I wish it had is the compression release the newer ones have now.

Dave

Latest posts

Back