Hurricane Preparedness For East Coast AS Members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slingblade, I lived in Knoxville from 1982 to 1989. I absolutely love the state, it's truly beautiful, and may go back at some point. Best to your daughter in Benson until Florence is past. Max.
Nice to meet you Max!...Sorry I missed this last night, early to bed, early to rise...lol...Tennessee is easy to love...We have the best of everything here...Mild weather year round, the Smokies, beautiful lakes, streams and waterfalls, low cost of living and a laid back lifestyle...It just doesn't get any better than that!...Leigh~

The last hurricane to make it to my part of PA was Agnes 12 years before I was born. I hope all you folks in the path of the storm get threw ok.

Last one we had was Irene. Was just torrential rains but totally scoured out some river valleys and cut off towns. One state highway took almost a year to rebuild.

Category 4 already. Projections are it is not going to let up.

I was house sitting in small community near Monticello, Thomas Jefferson estate many years ago, during the aftermath of a Hurricane in Florida. Wow!!! A long long ways away as the event was winding down, and it was still a grand spectacle (thunder, lightening and winds) to be near. A Cat4 or more, no thank you!!!

I couldn't believe the damage here in NE GA from Irma last year. Major damage all around, with huge old oaks blown over lIke twigs. That's the length of FL and GA from where it made landfall. Don't assume this thing plays out at the coast. Stay safe.

I'm near the NC/Va line, and we're about as ready as possible. We got the essential stuff yesterday and this morning. I would like to see Mother Nature put just a few more trees down in the woods, but hoping for it not to be very devastating. Some of the older hardwoods on the farm that may just need a little "push" to come down won't be so bad. I'm praying that things won't be as bad as some reporters are saying.

This is one of those times where I really don't miss owning a saltwater boat. Should I pull it or leave it in the water? Maybe just put some extra lines on it? Maybe just run it up the river throw the anchor and ride it out? Some of the things that go threw your mind when you keep a boat in a slip. Hopefully it makes a hard right turn to the north soon and goes way east of us.

Yes, I live in BEAUTIFUL Tennessee!;)...Hugo was a nightmare...I visited Myrtle Beach shortly after it hit...They were dredging sand and pumping it inland to restore the beach...We found dozens and dozens of big shells and whole sand dollars...
We were in Charleston in July 1989 for my sister's wedding. Saw photos of what was left of the Charleston Carriage Company and Charleston Ice House. Heartbreaking.

I am so worried for my daughter!...She called about an hour ago and said they are keeping her school open tomorrow until 1:30!...Even if she leaves right after work, she will have a long, hard trip to get to me and safety...I-40 West is already experiencing a 40 minute delay due to high traffic volume, it will be worse tomorrow...She's thinking about hunkering down at home and riding it out...The thought of that is almost more than I can bear...:(

I am so worried for my daughter!...She called about an hour ago and said they are keeping her school open tomorrow until 1:30!...Even if she leaves right after work, she will have a long, hard trip to get to me and safety...I-40 West is already experiencing a 40 minute delay due to high traffic volume, it will be worse tomorrow...She's thinking about hunkering down at home and riding it out...The thought of that is almost more than I can bear...:(
Tell her to go tonight.
Better safe than sorry!!!

If there ever was a time to skip school, I'm thinking this might be the time.
She's a teacher CJ....I told her to call in sick and head my way, but she said no...Said it would be impossible to get a substitute to fill in for her...I'm hoping administration will change their minds and close for the whole day tomorrow....

@HarleyT Agree!...I'm trying my best!...

"administration" my ass. Getting away from that storm is far more important than a half day of school. Who are these people? They should be fired. Do they honestly believe that any half day of school is important to anybody? Ridiculous.

Unbelievable. Moronic. How about being the smart, responsible ones and at least let your people go early to "avoid the rush". Educators are not managers. Far from it.

Leigh, here's hoping that your Daughter has safe travels tomorrow. I work in Risk Management and have several municipalities in Virginia I work for and with. Most realize the potential hazards and liability of holding school and putting buses on the road far outweigh any tangible benefits in this potentially catastrophic situation. This is why good, sensible risk control and transference methods need to be embraced along with situational planning and response. Thus endeth the sermon. Again, safe travels for her and please consider letting us know if she makes it to TN safely or shelters in place. Max.

Leigh, here's hoping that your Daughter has safe travels tomorrow. I work in Risk Management and have several municipalities in Virginia I work for and with. Most realize the potential hazards and liability of holding school and putting buses on the road far outweigh any tangible benefits in this potentially catastrophic situation. This is why good, sensible risk control and transference methods need to be embraced along with situational planning and response. Thus endeth the sermon. Again, safe travels for her and please consider letting us know if she makes it to TN safely or shelters in place. Max.
Thank you Max, thank all of you!...Y'all said everything I said to my daughter only you said it much better than I did...I just got off the phone with her...She is exhausted...She went to the fire station in her small town and filled 24 bags of sand, loaded them in her car and then unloaded them when she got home...All this by herself and the fire department was charging people for the sand bags!...Sometimes I think the whole world has gone crazy!...One saving grace, she has good neighbors who are staying, they have a generator and they promised me they would look after her until she can get home to me...I'm going to bed, when I get scared or worried about my people, I get cold...Going to get under the covers and try to fall asleep...Thanks again, your kind words are a great comfort to me!...Nite everyone!...

Latest posts

Back