Hurricane Preparedness For East Coast AS Members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harley T, message received. Both of our generators are running well. One is electric start with pull backup, and the other is pull only. Both started quickly and ran well and smooth. I'd put Stabil in their tanks and think this helped, and I run them every so often to keep them in working order. Hookups are in place, cords are ready, and I pray the storm does as little damage as possible. Remembering those that died today 17 years ago, and never forgetting. Go NAVY, God Bless America. Max.

Nice to meet you Max!...Sorry I missed this last night, early to bed, early to rise...lol...Tennessee is easy to love...We have the best of everything here...Mild weather year round, the Smokies, beautiful lakes, streams and waterfalls, low cost of living and a laid back lifestyle...It just doesn't get any better than that!...Leigh~

Yup, and here in East Tenn. we like Trump. The only bad part about this area is the liberals and Yankees that have moved in here during the last 3 decades. That being said, we are protected pretty well here against hurricanes, the coast is too far away and the Appalachians break up all the high winds. About the only dangerous weather events we get are tornadoes and floods, and they don't happen too often. We also don't get really bad earthquakes, East TN is far enough away from the New Madrid fault.

Yup, and here in East Tenn. we like Trump. The only bad part about this area is the liberals and Yankees that have moved in here during the last 3 decades. That being said, we are protected pretty well here against hurricanes, the coast is too far away and the Appalachians break up all the high winds. About the only dangerous weather events we get are tornadoes and floods, and they don't happen too often. We also don't get really bad earthquakes, East TN is far enough away from the New Madrid fault.
As a former Ohio River Valley girl, I'm glad to hear you are safe!...I'm not a confederate or a yank, that fight happened way before my time!...Yesterday they were saying the Appalachians could be in for some bad flooding and washed out roads, hopefully that has changed?...

@FamilyTradition .. My girl decided to stick it out...The sandbags really helped keep the water out of her garage...She said so far there is less than an inch...Also, she has not lost power yet and the winds have died down considerably...There is a shelter about 3 miles from her home if she needs it, but I don't think she will...The greatest concern for her area is flooding...

Sling, did you daughter make it out of Benson? Raleigh is in pretty good shape, but I imagine Benson took a harder hit.

I got my generator running but it has an old malady; fuel starvation. I already changed the carb. Yesterday I put a clear plastic filter in the fuel line so I could watch and it would run until it had drained the filter. I think it's trapping air in the filter and fuel will not flow down from the tank. This happens even if I remove the fuel cap so I know the vent is open. If I yank the fuel line it gravity feeds from the tank just fine.

If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.... motor is a Tecumseh HM100

Thanks.

Sling, did you daughter make it out of Benson? Raleigh is in pretty good shape, but I imagine Benson took a harder hit.

No, she decided to hunker down...So far so good!...Just a little water in the garage and she hasn't lost power yet...She's got plenty of ice and she froze a lot of bottled water...She also cooked a big batch of chicken, made muffins and cornbread and a pot of pinto beans...Stuff she said they could eat cold if they had to...I'll give you another update in a day or two...Here's a pic of her and my grandson!...;)

Glenn & Dev.png

As a former Ohio River Valley girl, I'm glad to hear you are safe!...I'm not a confederate or a yank, that fight happened way before my time!...Yesterday they were saying the Appalachians could be in for some bad flooding and washed out roads, hopefully that has changed?...

@FamilyTradition .. My girl decided to stick it out...The sandbags really helped keep the water out of her garage...She said so far there is less than an inch...Also, she has not lost power yet and the winds have died down considerably...There is a shelter about 3 miles from her home if she needs it, but I don't think she will...The greatest concern for her area is flooding...

Glad she's doing OK. Often people evacuate and run into more trouble than if they'd stayed home.

Last year was a sham. People, don't know what to believe or do. Big expectation that the big hurricane was going to crawl up the east side of Florida, so everybody evaluated to the west, and then the CatX redirected to the west. Yeah, thanks for the warning, Grrrrrrrrrr... :(

I am so worried for my daughter!...She called about an hour ago and said they are keeping her school open tomorrow until 1:30!...Even if she leaves right after work, she will have a long, hard trip to get to me and safety...I-40 West is already experiencing a 40 minute delay due to high traffic volume, it will be worse tomorrow...She's thinking about hunkering down at home and riding it out...The thought of that is almost more than I can bear...:(
I hope she is safe. 40 can be rough sometimes with work traffic, but at least that part won't be a factor.

No, she decided to hunker down...So far so good!...Just a little water in the garage and she hasn't lost power yet...She's got plenty of ice and she froze a lot of bottled water...She also cooked a big batch of chicken, made muffins and cornbread and a pot of pinto beans...Stuff she said they could eat cold if they had to...I'll give you another update in a day or two...Here's a pic of her and my grandson!...;)

View attachment 674925

Leigh, I'm glad to hear your family's doing well so far. Your Daughter's cooking reminds me of my time with my Grandparents in WV on the Greenbrier River. Simpler times to be sure and my favorite meal was pinto beans, fried potatoes, sweet tea, and a protein, usually river caught fish. High cotton times. Here's hoping that your Family remains safe with power and minimal, if any, flooding. Max.

Last year was a sham. People, don't know what to believe or do. Big expectation that the big hurricane was going to crawl up the east side of Florida, so everybody evaluated to the west, and then the CatX redirected to the west. Yeah, thanks for the warning, Grrrrrrrrrr... :(
When Rita was bearing down on Houston in 2005, our glorious mayor warned that Houston was going to be under water, and urged everyone to head North. My neighbors loaded their wo kids and two dogs in their Suburban and headed North on I45. They made it as far as Huntsville where they joined the huge parking lot. Suburban overheated and their two dogs died from the heat on the side of the highway. We never even lost power until after the storm, and that was so they could do some repairs elsewhere.

Sling, how's your daughter? It looks like they took a pretty good hit?
She is fine Lambs!...I'm so relieved!......She even drove into Benson today to get a couple of things at the grocery store...She said the store was almost empty of food and people, but saw no standing water...They will be under a flash flood warning until Sunday evening...Check out this video that shows the flooding in Johnston county and Benson...:(

Well, us humans are still unable to predict the weather.
But if they did not predict the worse case scenario, and a lot of folks got hurt, then the court of public/twitter would go hard on them.
Our world is held hostage, and those that refuse to evacuuate, if they die, will become martyrs. If they leave, and the storm "peters out", then the folks will hire lawyers......
A Lose, lose ........lose scenario.............

Well, us humans are still unable to predict the weather.
But if they did not predict the worse case scenario, and a lot of folks got hurt, then the court of public/twitter would go hard on them.
Our world is held hostage, and those that refuse to evacuuate, if they die, will become martyrs. If they leave, and the storm "peters out", then the folks will hire lawyers......
A Lose, lose ........lose scenario.............

Read "Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History". Things have improved greatly. It is not about crying wolf. There has been great effort, and progress made, and it continues to improve all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375708278/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

Thank you Max, thank all of you!...Y'all said everything I said to my daughter only you said it much better than I did...I just got off the phone with her...She is exhausted...She went to the fire station in her small town and filled 24 bags of sand, loaded them in her car and then unloaded them when she got home...All this by herself and the fire department was charging people for the sand bags!...Sometimes I think the whole world has gone crazy!...One saving grace, she has good neighbors who are staying, they have a generator and they promised me they would look after her until she can get home to me...I'm going to bed, when I get scared or worried about my people, I get cold...Going to get under the covers and try to fall asleep...Thanks again, your kind words are a great comfort to me!...Nite everyone!...

I say she's gonna be just fine.......

Latest posts

Back