Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a Huskee 22 ton log splitter. We've cut a lot of wood the past few years after getting back into heating with wood. I enjoy splitting with my fine Fiskar X27 splitting axe, but with the volume of wood we are burning, I'm getting a goodly pile of hard to split stuff and knotty pieces. Rather than rent, beg and borrow - I decided to pull the trigger on a splitter of my own.

First impressions:

I've run about three tanks of gas through the splitter and so far so good. I was concerned a bit about the 22 tons vs 35 ton splitters I see and the cycle time. I've read posts about both and wondered if the splitter would be under powered and slow. Honestly, I have yet to stall the splitter. I've got oak, locust and they are pretty easy. Cherry and knotty pine are the hardest to split - but the splitter does very well. As far as cycle time - I was surprised at how quickly the splitter runs. I'm not selling wood, only splitting it for my own use and the speed/cycle time is not a problem. If anything, I can't keep-up with it.

The engine sets nicely out of the way and the beam easily tilts-up for vertical splitting.

The one accessory I am going to get is the table that bolts to the beam. When I am by myself, that table would be the extra set of hands I need to handle a larger split - after I split it.

The price - $999 plus tax. I bought it at Tractor Supply and though it says Huskee on the beam, it is a SpeeCo brand.

All in all - for the homeowner like me, I'd recommend this splitter.

Bill

ive borrowed a huskee 22 ton from a friend to split some big rounds recently. maybe his is a little worn out, but Ive been disappointed with it compared to the Iron and Oak 20 ton fast cycle I usually rent couple times a year. I dont care for the 14 second time, how it has to "load up" to bust thru a piece that I could split with a Fiskars. Honestly I prefer my x27 to the splitter, but like you, the volume I am needing to get done and the heat forced me to go the splitter route. He let me borrow it for as long as I need it at no cost so there isnt any reason to complain I guess, I just notice a major difference in it and the Iron and Oak splitter- speed and power wise. The cost difference is substantial between the two though, so the Huskee certainly would have a price advantage. The one I am using is a couple years old, starts right up, all fluids are right, just doesnt seem to have any nuts. Glad yours is working out though. Ive looked at the 35 ton one and the Northstar splitters- big difference being the Briggs vs Honda engine.

I borrowed a Huskee 22 ton last winter for some cherry knots.I was pretty impressed with it.Only flaw I see is all the bark and chaff that gets under the ram.Compared to some other splitters Ive used,I think the cycle time is plenty fast,and forked knots were no match to it

This in my opinion is the best splitter on the market for the money. I've went out of my way and thrown the double knots and anything else, it may grunt but it keeps going.. I love it.

I have a 28 ton and works reasonably well, though it's a bit slow compared to my dad's old Lickity Splitter. The Lickity allows the user to lock the forward control so you don't have to hold it and it automatically retracts when it gets to the end of the stroke. Rather than having to power it back, it "free-retrieves" the ram at about three times the forward speed. I guess that type of operation is just too dangerous these days......some dumb ass might hurt themselves.:msp_mad:

SpeecoSplitter.jpg

I have never ran the 22 but a few people I know who have them really like them. I have the 35 Huskee though, and I have had it for about 6 years and have never had anything stop it yet. It bust right through anything and only hesitates on the meanest things. It'll bust right through a fork like it's no ones business. I got it at TC on a sale for 1299 and was happy with the price. I would like to have a table on mine also. Sounds like it would really help out as I'm usually alone when I'm running it.

If the dealers are anything like around here.......good luck buying a table for it.

I finally gave up trying to buy one and just made my own.

Tony

ive borrowed a huskee 22 ton from a friend to split some big rounds recently. maybe his is a little worn out, but Ive been disappointed with it compared to the Iron and Oak 20 ton fast cycle I usually rent couple times a year. I dont care for the 14 second time, how it has to "load up" to bust thru a piece that I could split with a Fiskars. Honestly I prefer my x27 to the splitter, but like you, the volume I am needing to get done and the heat forced me to go the splitter route. He let me borrow it for as long as I need it at no cost so there isnt any reason to complain I guess, I just notice a major difference in it and the Iron and Oak splitter- speed and power wise. The cost difference is substantial between the two though, so the Huskee certainly would have a price advantage. The one I am using is a couple years old, starts right up, all fluids are right, just doesnt seem to have any nuts. Glad yours is working out though. Ive looked at the 35 ton one and the Northstar splitters- big difference being the Briggs vs Honda engine.

I fully agree with this post. Its like comparing a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton. The Iron & Oak is definitely the work horse of the two but as you mentioned they are the price of a one ton compared to half ton as well as seen here: 22 Ton Gas Wood Splitters & Log Splitters | Iron & Oak

I've had my Huskee 22T for 5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat, it is a bit slow however. So far I've split over a 100 cord with it, and I did most of that the first two years I had it.

When she was new.

attachment.php

Last edited:
maybe it is the fact that it is powered by a 5hp Briggs Vertical on the Huskee and the Iron and Oak has an 8 hp Honda on the Iron and Oak that causes the lag. The Huskee will go thru just about anything but it just seems to lag and have to load up. The price point is undeniable though. I got on a waiting list at our local rental place. They usually sell the Iron and Oak fast cycles for 1200-1400 after two years of service.

I borrowed a Huskee 22 ton last winter for some cherry knots.I was pretty impressed with it.Only flaw I see is all the bark and chaff that gets under the ram.Compared to some other splitters Ive used,I think the cycle time is plenty fast,and forked knots were no match to it

or that gets wedged in the rails..... That is definately a draw back in the design. I know exactly what you are talking about.

I have the old school Huskee 22T with the 8hp Briggs. Bought it used for $400 and it woulda been a bargain at twice the price. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. The 5hp Honda's are still nice, but that extra 3hp is pretty handy to have when ya get into the gnarly stuff. As for a table? I AM the table!:rock:

:cheers:

Back