Husky 2 stroke oil vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slick , Thanks for the info on renco , never thought of them for the XP oil , I purchased my 346 from a dealer in shavertown .

I notice many run the Stihl ultra because it is a synthetic oil. In motor oils many claim full synthetic but actually are not... ...Whether Stihl ultra is a true synthetic is a question mark in my mind.

Hi,

the Stihl Ultra is at least partly made of synthetic esters, according to some advertising I seem to remember having read sometime, with the rest probably being PAO synthetic oil. Esters are always fully synthetic as they aren't made from mineral oil if I remember correctly. Motul makes excellent ester oils which keep an engine much cleaner than any other synthetic oil can.

I use stihl super if I can't get my hands on any Motul ester based oil but anyway I would say Stihl Ultra is definately a full synthetic if only due to the fact that it is advertised as a full synthetic here which reduces the possibilty of it being only a hydrocracked mineral oil with an ester component. Outside of America hardly anybody considers hydrocracked oils to be fully synthetic.

Bye

:monkey: Gary ? Hello Gary ? What do you think ? Hmmm ...... ? Maybe Gary makes oil for most of the Chainsaw manufacturer's and won't divulge the real truth !:monkey:

Gary is the exclusive manufacturer and distributor of Gary's Own TM premix oil. However, he is also partial to using it on his pancakes in the morning, so he is not parting with any of it at this time. I have tried to get some out of him in the past, but I failed.

Last edited:
Monkey -

Thanks for the note on Motul.. I think I am to use them! Have you tried the 800 T2 "offroad" extreme ?? I am told it smells like bananas ???

One reason - maybe stupid one - but my reason on the Stihl oil - is that the stihl does not come a quart bottle.. I don't like all the small ones and don't feel like putting them in a quart bottle - and the cost $$$ (but now I know what the oil is) - That ONE reason being I mix maybe a 1/2 - 1/4 gallon or less at a time - use a plastic graduated chemistry cylinder - so I know exactly now many cc's of oil go in - the result is a true 50:1, 55:1, 45:1 etc, etc - I do this so I don't mix gas that stays around and does not get used/etc - the quart bottle is ALL I need for a LONG time - If I got a gallon bottle it would t be a LONGGGGGGGGGGG time before I used it all - I would feel better going out and getting a new quart bottle that just came in to the store - thats AFTER it was stored in the warehouse for a number years - :dizzy: - but at least it was not sitting in my garage since who nows when ?? ........ hows that for a run on sentence !!

holly cowwwwwwwwww.. it says right there in the user guide for the 361 - don't use 2 stroke oil that says for air cooled and water cooled engines!!!
This is about the only warning I've heard about on what 2-stroke oils to use in chainsaws and other air-cooled 2-stroke engines.

Husqvarna: 137, 61 (in pieces-yet), L65, 288xp, 2100CD
McCulloch: Mac 2-10 (won't stay running-rainy day project)

Monkey -

Thanks for the note on Motul.. I think I am to use them! Have you tried the 800 T2 "offroad" extreme ?? I am told it smells like bananas ???

One reason - maybe stupid one - but my reason on the Stihl oil - is that the stihl does not come a quart bottle.. I don't like all the small ones and don't feel like putting them in a quart bottle - and the cost $$$ (but now I know what the oil is) - That ONE reason being I mix maybe a 1/2 - 1/4 gallon or less at a time - use a plastic graduated chemistry cylinder - so I know exactly now many cc's of oil go in - the result is a true 50:1, 55:1, 45:1 etc, etc - I do this so I don't mix gas that stays around and does not get used/etc - the quart bottle is ALL I need for a LONG time - If I got a gallon bottle it would t be a LONGGGGGGGGGGG time before I used it all - I would feel better going out and getting a new quart bottle that just came in to the store - thats AFTER it was stored in the warehouse for a number years - :dizzy: - but at least it was not sitting in my garage since who nows when ?? ........ hows that for a run on sentence !!

Stihl oil comes in 2.6, 5-2, 6.4, 12.8, 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers. Like many... your dealer just doesn't stock it all. A couple of 12.8's would suit you nicely;)

This is about the only warning I've heard about on what 2-stroke oils to use in chainsaws and other air-cooled 2-stroke engines.

Yo dude, be warned! There are far far more water cooled engines out there, and far far more bottles of TCW-3 type two stroke oil designed for them. Only use oil designed for higher temp air cooled two stroke engines in a chainsaw, and do not use dual purpose two-stroke oil, or TCW-3 oil.

Only use oil designed for higher temp air cooled two stroke engines in a chainsaw, and do not use dual purpose two-stroke oil, or TCW-3 oil.

Exactly... That's what always kills me about most of these oil threads. Why not just use the manufacturers oil that you know is made specifically for air cooled saws?

"But I have this crap on my shelf I bought for my outboard 10 years ago, and I'm too cheap to go buy some quality oil..."

Oh well I'm picky about what I put in my saws... don't come bak here b1tchin' about oil related failure because you used 10 year ould outbord oil... :laugh:

Gary

Heh heh heh... yah. Well, in the dark days before reading AS, I used 30 wt ND oil or any brand bar oil on bars, and er, plain-Jane premix oil (old or new, TCW-3, non certified, blended, dual-purpose, or air-cooled), and any type of regular gas in my saws, old or new.

Now? Its Elf or Mobil 1 2T 100% synthetic JASO certified FC premix oil, fresh premium all gasoline and no ethanol or E-10, and Durex chainsaw bar oil dyed red and specifically made for using in chainsaws. *sigh*

Nothing like a convert...

While talking to a Stihl German factory engineer [Yurgen Wolfe] back in the mid 1980s he claimed Shell 30W series 3 diesel engine oil was a good mix-oil for a chainsaw. Yurgen was one of the engineers to credit in the development of the Stihl 038AV.:)

Gary showed up :cheers:

WInd - what mix ratio ?? diff from 50:1 ??

So think Motul t 800 offroad extreme is good enough ??

Motul is good enough. More spendy than the Elf that I use now though. I am looking for a reasonably priced JASO FD oil. More better. I did a massive premix oil search when my supply of Mobil 1 2T ran out.

Oh, and about 47.5:1 I would think. Just a tad richer for more lubrication.

that depends on a time factor of how many you can process with a husky until it breaks down! So I guess we will have to wait until Christmas 09 for the answer - maybe longerrrrrrrrrr !! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Every time somebody mentions Elf oil, it brings back this memory from my childhood, the Tyrrell P34 that won the 1976 Swedish GP. I thought that car was the coolest thing to ever turn a wheel on a road course. Too bad Goodyear wasn't interested in supplying proper tires for it.

ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

Latest posts

Back