Husky 285cd new to me saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah chambless

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. New member here. Came across this site rummaging through pages on the google machine about a saw I picked up. A buddy of mine bought a storage unit and told me there was an old saw in it and if I wanted it I could get it for 50 bucks. Figured it was worth a look. Turned out to be an old husky 285 cd. A few sprays of starting fluid and it fired right up. Even had an almost new looking 24 inch Oregon power match bar and chain. I've had it for a few weeks now and I love. Has a ton of torque and will go through anything I've put it on. My only concern with the saw is it has no chain brake on it. A lot of my cutting is on land that has been cleared so there's a lot of climbing around. My question to all the experts here is what all clutch covers and with chain brakes will fit. I have seen like the 1100,2100,2101 and the 480. Is there anymore that would. I had a guy suggest a 288 but it looks different to me. Any help would be appreciated.

DO NOT USE STARTING FLUID!!!! That is a great way to kill a 2-stroke engine. Use proper mix gas, dribbled or squirted down the carb throat.

Otherwise, I think any of those saws you reference will be able to swap a clutch cover with a brake on. I think having the brake is a very good idea.

Well goes to show not to trust your local repair shop. He has always told me a few sprays wouldn't hurt. But thanks for that info. And yeah on a saw that size it just seems like a great idea to me.

It'd be fine as long as you don't go too big. They are nice, big torquey things, but 85 is 85. That saw will, I believe, take a 2100 jug without other modifications, so you could pump it up to around 100ccs. IMHO, what is holding those saws back is the lack of available parts. I haven't looked for parts lately, but I did set my miller 2100 aside in favor of something that had a more ready supply of parts. If memory serves, ignition might be an issue. Before you start beating it up on a mill, do yourself a favor and go on a parts search.

Back