Husky 346 46cc VS NE 346 50cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saginaw22

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking at buying a new saw
I cant remember what saw they have for sale
but its one of the two I think its $369 less 10%
It might be $469 dam cant remember which one.
Husky 346
I cant remember if its the 50cc or the 46cc

It going to be used as 2nd saw for firewood mostly
for tops and small cutting under 12" or so. I
already have the Husky 575 old ED for the big stuff

I have heard great things about this saw in here
but I want to make sure its the NE but if its not
would it still be worth it to make the purchase.

There never was a 46cc 346xp - the old one is 45cc, and the new one 50cc. :greenchainsaw:

The ol' 246 was a true 46cc though (shorter stroke, more bore).

There never was a 46cc 346xp - the old one is 45cc, and the new one 50cc. :greenchainsaw:

The ol' 246 was a true 46cc though (shorter stroke, more bore).

Oh my mistake sorry about that guys
but of the two which one would you go for
SawTroll you still buy the 45cc or just the NE 346 50cc

If you have a choice, it's a no brainer... the new edition.

Ian

Yes, the ol' one is mostly a highspeed limbing saw (for smaller limbs) - the new one have kept the almost explosive accelleration, but there are a lot more power at your hands.

That is about stock saws, the ol' 346 is known to change character into a great allround saw as well, with proper porting work etc.

Yes, the ol' one is mostly a highspeed limbing saw (for smaller limbs) - the new one have kept the almost explosive accelleration, but there are a lot more power at your hands.

That is about stock saws, the ol' 346 is known to change character into a great allround saw as well, with proper porting work etc.

Well heading to the store to check it out if its the
NE 346 I am going to pick it up

Well picked up the NE 346 xp but its the one with the green cap
on the gas tank CAT Muffler......

Ran three tanks of gas through it...the little saw rips.
very happy with the feel and the weight of the saw
it makes a very nice edition to the family.

I have been doing so searching on here and there is
a lot of information on getting the non-cat muffler, but
the you have to re-tune the carb.

Well I am not experienced enough to tackle tuning the carbs or
to do a muffer mod.

What would it take to make this little saw turn into a Monster

Muffler work, Porting,

And how much would it cost, and who could do the work?
as of now I dont know anyone around who could perform this kind of work.

Changing out the muffler is not hard . The heat produced by the cat model and retained by it is quite excessive. Take the saw back to your dealer and have him adjust it for you after you swap out the muffler.

Saw builders? I would like to see what AS member Timberwolf can do with a 346XP NE. He's actually a rocket scientist who builds saws in his spare time.

Changing out the muffler is not hard . The heat produced by the cat model and retained by it is quite excessive. Take the saw back to your dealer and have him adjust it for you after you swap out the muffler.

Saw builders? I would like to see what AS member Timberwolf can do with a 346XP NE. He's actually a rocket scientist who builds saws in his spare time.

I would love to see what this little saws EVIL TWIN brother would feel like
with some work done to it

The Old 346 is a Great Saw!

I have the older 346 w/o the cat. It is one of my favorite saws. As stated, it is best in 12" and under wood. I have a 16" bar on mine (is that allowed in the PNW?:clap: ), which the saw loves. I just used it last weekend to take out a few 8-12" birch trees on a 45 degree slope in my friends' backyard. Give it a nice sharp chain, and it cuts like a laser.....

The light weight, and nice balance really helped to make felling easy, and gave me more options planning my escape path. Anything bigger would have required a bit more saw, and I probably would have pulled out a big saw with a wrap bar on it.

I've heard that the NE 346 is a bit bigger/heavier, but have yet to see one.

Well picked up the NE 346 xp but its the one with the green cap
on the gas tank CAT Muffler......

Ran three tanks of gas through it...the little saw rips.
very happy with the feel and the weight of the saw
it makes a very nice edition to the family.

I have been doing so searching on here and there is
a lot of information on getting the non-cat muffler, but
the you have to re-tune the carb.

Well I am not experienced enough to tackle tuning the carbs or
to do a muffer mod.

What would it take to make this little saw turn into a Monster

Muffler work, Porting,

And how much would it cost, and who could do the work?
as of now I dont know anyone around who could perform this kind of work.

Look for a thread called the 346NE king of saws. I have one modded by TsT. There are several video's on the thread.

... Saw builders? I would like to see what AS member Timberwolf can do with a 346XP NE. He's actually a rocket scientist who builds saws in his spare time.
I also have more faith in TimberWolf than some others on here - I always listen carefully to him, when he speaks up.......:clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Starting a 346XP

I also have more faith in TimberWolf them some others on here - I always listen carefully to him, when he speaks up.......:clap: :clap:

I just bought a new 346XP and am having a very difficult time starting this saw. Fresh gas mix, checked plug gap, set choke, pushed in decompressing button and then pulled the starter cord about 60 times,finally cranked off and ran fine. Let it sit for a couple of hours and and wears me out trying to get it going again. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to start this saw easier than I have succeeded in doing?

Maybe TimberWolf or someone has any answer.

I just bought a new 346XP and am having a very difficult time starting this saw. Fresh gas mix, checked plug gap, set choke, pushed in decompressing button and then pulled the starter cord about 60 times,finally cranked off and ran fine. Let it sit for a couple of hours and and wears me out trying to get it going again. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to start this saw easier than I have succeeded in doing?

Mine is one of the easiest starters around, even when I forget to use the air purge, forget to put it on choke for the first couple of pulls etc - it always comes around in a couple of pulls, after I rectified the mistake (am a bit rusty after some health problems)

....but never use the decomp valve (well - I never tried to use it - LOL - just caused problems on my 353 - but that took some time to realize). I have a plug for it, but if you never use it, I guess it makes no problems - so I will put the plug in the 353 - and get another, when I remember......

Last edited:
Geeeezzzz, No, did not think about doing that as I thought the decomp. button made life easier. Will give that a try in the morning.

thanks for the thought

On smaller saws they usually just mess things up - use the air purge, but not the decomp!

Last edited:

When starting the 346XP NE, pull out the choke lever, push in the de-comp valve, pump the primer bulb and then pump a couple of times more after the bulb firms up, Pull recoil starter and as soon as the motor makes a sound just stop! Some people describe this sound as a "blurb". (Note: if you continue to pull the recoil with the choke on (extended position) you will flood the saw.) Push the choke lever back in. Do not squeeze the trigger (yet), Pull the recoil starter. The saw should then fire up normally within 1 or 2 pulls. It may take 20 seconds or so of fast idling for the saw to warm up. Once the saw has run for 30 seconds or so just squeeze the trigger and release. This will take the saw off of fast idle.

someone somewhere provided me a a 346 to play with.

I am a FIRM believer that this particular saw is very limited by exhaust. She really likes the non-cat muffler.

she really likes it when you drill out the muffler exhaust port.

do both of these, and the carb adjustments are not very extreme at all.

i have found the saw VERY easy to start using the exact same techniques described by urbicide. full choke till she glugs, then push choke in, pull twice, and she fires and takes off.

if you have to pull 60 times, either choke is not working or carb has some major traumas. Dealer should have found this when they sold it to you and started it for you. In any case, warrantee issue and easily cured.

Back