Husky 346xp or Stihl ms 260 I'm ready to buy now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Time to replace my old husky ''44 rancher practica'' 18'' bar. The saw is tired. It has been a great saw since new in 1986. A high RPM saw that was ahead of its time.

I want 18'' bar high RPM kick a$$ saw......no foolin around.
After doing allot of searches here...
I have picked the HUSKY 346XP. 18'' bar 45cc 2.7ci 10.6lbs. $390.00 at Baileys.
I like the weight of this saw..... My 44 was light.

My 2nd choice....STIHL MS260 ......I dont know if getting the pro model is worth the extra money. 50cc 3.06 ci 10.4 lbs $419 for standard
$460 for pro.
The stihl dealer support is strong in my area...husky is weak in this area as far as having dealers. Cost is really not a factor...I want the best saw.

Usage...will be limbing smaller trees....light fire wood cutting.

Opinions please before I buy a saw. I am ready.

The difference in power helped me decide on the 346XP. 3.4HP versus 3.2 for the Stihl. Same dealer here covers both so that was not a factor. I actually got the XPG model with the heated handles to counteract my aging hands in the winter.

pro model gives the decomp valve and adjustable oiler, I don't see much need for the valve on a 50 cc saw, oiler might be a nice to have, but my 260 oils fine with the fixed setting oiler, not much need to adjust the oiler as bar size is likely to be between 14 and 18 in anyway..

I like the 260, with the muffler and engine done it makes a lot of power in a small package. I find .325 RS chain the best on the 260, but many swear by 3/8.

The 346 is a real screamer, and if I was looking for a saw in that size range I would not hesitate at all...Go Husky...

Keep in mind the ms260 is made to run 8 hours a day all week long, a very reliable saw to say the least and some porting and a muffler mod and you got yourself a winner!

"Chainsaw brands used for work daily". This was a poll taken on this site. Check it out it has had a huge response and since this site is made mostly of pros, I think it says a whole lot. Good luck.

You mentioned a couple other factors, You already have a husky so maybe a bar or two as well as familiarity with the overall set up. The other factor is service, if you don't do repair and maintenance work yourself, you might want to put some weight on who has the better local service. If you do your own work on the saw service does not count for much.

In my opinion, the best 3 cube saw is the 346. Stock it beats the original 3.5 hp 026's, now with the severely restricted 260 muffler, it would be no contest. The Shindaiwa 488 is lighter and has a better feel than the 026 which has too soft an antivib system for me. also don't like the easily sprung master control.
I have had 2 026's....they never impressed me, compared to my old Jonsered 520SP, which was one of the first 10 lb 3 cube saws....only surpassed in design by the partner 5000, in its day. As well, I have a Solo 651 which rates 3.6 hp and only 1-2 oz heavier than the 026.

I may be a bit biased, as all my current saws, the 488, 651, and 346, were modded by Dennis Greffard, who did good work. Soon, ehp will be sending me my new 346, which may be sporting a pipe...hehe....

Modded the 346 shows the best gains of them all....and will rival a stock 372/044 in small wood.

lumberjach said:
Is an ms 260 the same as an 026?

nope....nor are any of the new Stihl's as good as the old ones. (200T is the same....) In order to meet EPA guidelines, they severely restricted their mufflers. The saws now are relatively gutless, and run hot, and will not last as long....

Easy fix, port the mufflers.......or buy a Husky, Dolmar, Jonsereds...which are pretty much unchanged, but still need porting to unleash some power.

260 is just the new numbering of the older 026, just like 036 to 360 to 361, 046 to 460... some year to year changes happened but more or less the same thing.

Muffler restrictions have become a problem though.

Some saws such as the 039 to 390 have included upgrades that bring them more toward a pro saw. Rim sprocket, decomp valve, high quality conecting rod...

I have a 246 ,(I think an older version of 346) that has cut a ton firewood in the last 8 years. It's a little powerhouse. I have an 18" bar and it balances and handles great. The only problem I've had is a broken recoil rope. I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back