Husky 346xp or Stihl ms 260 I'm ready to buy now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rbtree said:
Lakeside, I rarely run my 200T, as I prefer the Husky 335's.....call me whacko....
>>

>>
imho, many of the pros that come into your store are as uninformed (not a reflection on you guys, just them) about saws, saw care, and saw mods as they are about proper tree care....

Wacko :)

they are.... many of the "pro's" do ZERO maintenance, and I'd never buy an ebay saw from a "pro"... it would mean that I'd finally told them to take it way and have fun with burning the magnesium in their next beach BBQ

We do have a few guys that figure it out, but most see the saw as a "throwaway" tool that cost less than one decent tree removal job. Of course, they never do throw them away! One customer has the problem partially solved - they buy the saw, then the employee has it deducted from his check each week until paid for, but they end up owning it... The guys put their name on the saws, look after them, and don't lend them..

SawTroll said:
Good for you!

Better anti-vibe, air filtrasion and imo ergonomics also help! :)

The 3.2 Stihl hp is bhp, and equals 3.3 "Husky" hp, though......

HP = KW/746. Stihl literature lists "bhp", and Husky just lists "HP", but if you run the math on both brands, you get the same conversion from the stated KW engine power output. Both are just KW/746. The nice thing about KW, is there's only one definition. So, I don't agree that a Stihl HP is more than an Husky HP. Forget HP and look at the KW ratings. The 260 is rated at 2.4KW, and the 346XP is 2.5KW.

All that said, I don't think the difference is huge. From what I've seen on this site, people who like Stihl are going to buy and recommend Stihl no matter what. Sure is good for Stihl.

twistedtree said:
HP = KW/746. Stihl literature lists "bhp", and Husky just lists "HP", but if you run the math on both brands, you get the same conversion from the stated KW engine power output.
That is not quite correct.
Study the websites or catalogs, and you will see it.
There is about a 2% difference between hp and bhp; and it is reflected there, even though rounding off to one decimal blurs the picture in some cases.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
1 kW = 1.34 hp = 1.37 (or 1.36) bhp.

OK, I'll take your word for it. I couldn't find a definition for bhp. My recollection is that it involves stalling the engine, so things like the moment of inertia of the spinning engine parts become a factor, ut I don't recall for sure. Do you remember?

Going back to the original point, the 346XP is higher power, comparing KW. That's the original point I was trying to make.

Lumberjach

The only basic difference between an "older" 026 and the 260 is the air filter and carb. The carb on the newer 026's and the 260 compensates for dirt in the air filter. Otherwise, same saw for all intent and purposes.

David it's been near a week now, have you got your hands on that new saw yet?

Got my husky 346xp delivered thursday night. did tree work & cut fire wood friday and today.

After 3 tanks of fuel....here is my grade on the saw.

Husky 'burnt orange' is a beautiful color for a saw. (A+)

ergonomics...balance...and overall feel of the saw (A+)

The anti-vibration system is awesome...it feels like the motor is
floating between the handles.....very nice. (A)

acceleration & RPM are stunningly fast....
blipping the throttle almost raises the hair on the back of my neck..
very impressive!!!! (A+)

power.....saw came with 18'' bar...was cutting hickory & oak.
12" hickory was no match...powers right through it.
I didn't buy this saw for the bigger stuff...its just for limbing
up to about 10" wood. I will probly go to a 16" bar. (A)

sound....I wear ear protection when cutting, I didn't realize how
BAD A$$ this saw sounds until forgot my ear plugs once...
WOW this saw has a very rich...deep performance sound...
I think its on ROIDS....maybe it should have a drug test.
Is it legal to use a saw on ROIDS!!!!!!! ITS LOUD!!!!! (A+)

start-stop & choke lever is easy to operate...however
they do stick out more that any saw I have and have a cheap
feel to them. (C+)

gas & oil caps.....easy on & off... with gloves on.
o-ring washer seals are thick....looks like they will seal good. (A)

access to air filter is easy & fast....
air filter comes off without use of tools. looks good. (A)

chain break reset bar stays on the saw when side cover
is removed to service bar & chain....I like that.
very nice improvement!!! (A)

Its going to good.....somethings got to be bad......
and here it is.

The chain tensioner has been over engineered....I do not like
how it works at all. The pin that pushes the bar forward to tighten
the chain slack is also the screw you have to turn to adjust tension.
It takes to long to put a chain on with this set design. (F)

What was wrong with the chain tension adj screw being on the
front?.....HMMMM...maybe it worked to good....lets over engineer it to death.

Am I happy with this saw?
ABSOLUTELY YES...I feel I made the right choice....I LOVE it..even with the chain tensioner issue.

Thanks for all the posts and debate on 346xp or ms260

Back