Husky 346xp or Stihl ms 260 I'm ready to buy now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lumberjach said:
Ok you go with average joe's opinion who knows nothing about a spark plug. I will go with the poll of professionals. That Poll speaks volumes! :)

Poll of professionals huh? :laugh:

Yeah it speaks volumes all right. Volumes about the uselessness of unscientific surveys. DDM did try to quantify the results buy stating something to the effect of "use daily" but most of the respondents are not daily users.

If David wanted a more accurate picture of pro saw use, which is implied by the term "use daily", he should have listed specific pro models and not just popular brands. This would have greatly narrowed his respondents to the demographic of people using pro models, whether they be pros or not. Of course this simple change in words would not have weeded out the liars, but I believe that the majority of respondents would atleast have "pro saw" use experience vs. pro "saw use" experience rather than no more than experience with a brand that also manufactures pro saws. Were you able to keep up with that?

Newfie nailed it on both accounts,
newfie said:
Yeah voulmes of BS. Many of us have spent years here at AS and such polls come and go like dirty socks. This poll seems to have had an unprecedented response as compared to previous incarnations. 390 voters? I doubt it. Something stinks about those numbers. Someone is pulling our leg.

I doubt there are even 390 "pros" lurking here never mind voting in a poll.

Be careful what you read in to numbers.

David you won't be disappointed by the 346. Great saw.
and.....
Newfie said:
Guess you missed my point. Stihl and Husky are both good saws and comparable in quality. I don't care that SOOOO many more people voted Stihl in the poll, my point was I don't think the poll was accurate based on my observations of polls conducted here at AS many times. 390 voters, when most polls would previously struggle to muster a tenth of that in total votes. Just seems odd.

The last thing I would do is run and do something just because everyone else is doing it. I gave up peer pressure in the 8th grade.

Regarding this quote from you,
lumberjach said:
I wonder if you would be complaining if husky or any other brand was leading the poll. Any STIHL guy knows we don't have to rig the poll. We just sit back and laugh at anyone who makes excuses for the numbers.
We`d be sitting back and laughing if the numbers were so blatantly skewed in favor of Husky because we know that real world sales numbers don`t support this notion of vastly disparate sales between the brands, in either direction. We also know what we see being used daily.

BTW, do you really have the saws listed in your signature? Somehow an ms880 doesn`t seem to fit the quiver of a guy who also claims to have an 017 or 191T, or three "pro" saws(026, 028, 036 Pro) that haven`t been made in atleast, several years. It looks like your only modern saws would be the ms220T and the 880.

Russ

Sylvatica said:
Yes. I just recently witnessed this to be true. I even pointed out to the DEALER that this was the case on his 346XPG's and he was shocked and frustrated that Husqvarna would leave out such an important cold weather feature.

BTW, the 346 is an overall very good saw, and specifically it's an excellent performer. I have a bunch, & use them all the time. Chronic air filter leakage at the mounting location is my only major gripe.
To correct your leakage,change your filter and filter holder to teh new type with the steel clip that holds the filter down.Nothing loose anymore and no dust.

scotchguy said:
I'm enjoying this thread, but can't help feeling that the Stihl/Husky argument is like agruing about politics and religion ... you can't change someone's mind, you can only reinforce them in the beliefs they held to begin with.

Amen to that Brother. I am kind of surprised that I didn't have much support from other STIHL guys. It was all in fun :D

jokers said:
BTW, do you really have the saws listed in your signature? Somehow an ms880 doesn`t seem to fit the quiver of a guy who also claims to have an 017 or 191T, or three "pro" saws(026, 028, 036 Pro) that haven`t been made in atleast, several years. It looks like your only modern saws would be the ms220T and the 880.

Russ

Yes I do own these saws. I just built the 191T. Out of three busted up saws. The 017 is weak but I figure it will be a good first saw for my son when he comes of age. I also found it was good for carving. My 026 has no high adjustment(WHY? The others I have seen do.) It is weak even for an 026. The 028WB was my first and favorite saw. The 036 was the biggest I had untill last year after Charlie hit and I bought the 880 out of Miami because I had to cut up an oak that was 50+inches in Diameter. I love the saw but I feel there is a gap between the 036 and the 880. I think for my next saw I might try an 056. Enough power without the weight. I have used the 880 for a whole day and I was burnt. The 200T I just bought about a month ago and I have no complaints. Can anyone tell me how I can post pictures that are in "my documents"?

lumberjach said:
Can anyone tell me how I can post pictures that are in "my documents"?

Sure, if you want to post a picture that is stored on Darin`s server, use "Post Reply" rather than "Post Quick Reply" and then use the "Manage Attachments" function. Be sure that your pics are in one of the formats listed and don`t make them too big, 72 dpi and no more than 640x480.

Russ

lumberjach said:
"Chainsaw brands used for work daily". This was a poll taken on this site. Check it out it has had a huge response and since this site is made mostly of pros, I think it says a whole lot. Good luck.

i see alot more power stroke/fords on the road than cummins/dodge. yet cummins/dodge is the superior truck, why is that?

kf_tree said:
i see alot more power stroke/fords on the road than cummins/dodge. yet cummins/dodge is the superior truck, why is that?
I see a lot more dodge/cummins on the road than Yugo, but Yugo is the superior vehicle. Why is that? :p ;)

346Xp is a freakin screamin chunkin revved up monkey humper. Great saw. The 260 I used also but wasn't nearly as impressed. However don't use my mind make yer own.
I dropped, well actually excuse me. A 346 fell off my saddle. The beaner had one of those rotating roll lock gizmos on it. The thing opened up on me when I was in a funky position. Saw, lanyard and beaner fell a good 45 feet into the dirt below after I screamed headache as a warning. They sent it right back up. Still started. Only alittle motor mount bending. I cant compare with stihl in a drop because I've never dropped my 020.

The logic here is almost as good as the left handed guy who puts the handle between his legs and pulls the crank rope; versus, the right handed guy, who for convenience, puts the bar between his legs and pulls the crank rope. :cry:

Just ordered my Husky 346xp 18'' bar and a spare .325 chain from Baileys.
cost $427 to the door.

I did give the only local Husky dealer a shot at the sale. The saw was not in stock and it was going to cost $480 plus tax. He was angry that the Internet companies are able to give better deals than dealers can. I sympathize with him but this is a big price difference. I would have paid more $$ to pick it up locally...... but not that much more.
I have seen three husky dealers in my area drop husky over the last 5 years for one reason or another. im not counting LOWES hardware as a dealer because they don't know squat about saws...I don't even think they carry the pro modules.

I should have my 346 by next tue or wed.

I don't know how much this adds up with saws, but the 026/260 has been in production longer, which means it has seen more use overall, my point is that stihl has had longer to correct any reoccuring problems, which would add to its reliability, however the 346 may have been a better saw design off the bat and in need of less polishing to perfect. Maybe my theory is full of soup but its at least food for thought. More than likely you won't be disappointed in either one.

Also I don't know first hand but someone posted that huskys weights are always optimistic. I don't know if thats true either.

good luck

Lucky

lumberjach said:
The 017 is weak but I figure it will be a good first saw for my son when he comes of age.

i think you should be reported for child abuse..........how could you give your son a stihl to run as his first saw? unless you want him to learn on an inferior saw then surprise him at christmas with a husky?

kf_tree said:
i think you should be reported for child abuse..........how could you give your son a stihl to run as his first saw? unless you want him to learn on an inferior saw then surprise him at christmas with a husky?

I think it would be more appropriate if my son used the 017 to trim your back hair so you can surprise your significant other. lol :laugh:

lumberjach said:
I think it would be more appropriate if my son used the 017 to trim your back hair so you can surprise your significant other. lol :laugh:
So that's what those little pos's are for, back hair! Whuddathunkit? :cool:

bwalker said:
Dean, care to expound on what a "hydrolocked " piston is.
It's a high-tech fecal-injected scientific spasmologizer that increases the output to stratospheric levels and gives you shinier fingernails to boot! :cool:

Latest posts

Back