Husky 346xp or Stihl ms 260 I'm ready to buy now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RB tree, I have to disagree with you on the 200T. I did my research before buying that climbing saw. It has balls for a top handled saw. It is very light in comparison. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better top handled climbing saw. In my opinion stihl has only improved with their climbers. I originally had an 019T. I then upgraded to a 191T. I think the 200T is one of my best investments yet.

Oh another thing. I would be willing to bet Stihl is raising the bar with muffler restrictons. It has to be done and just like always the other companies follow suit. Not that it matters we will continue to mod them.

Sound like the husky 575 is not what the 372 was, could this be the thin end of the wedge?

To boot the 372 is getting hard to find, at least in some places.

timberwolf said:
260 is just the new numbering of the older 026, just like 036 to 360 to 361, 046 to 460... some year to year changes happened but more or less the same thing.

Not quite true.... The MS260 for about the last year has a larger cylinder and displacement than the original 026/MS260. It was quietly introduced with no model number change. The cylinder is now 44.7mm instead of 44. It performs very nicely... Some of the guys on AS that continue to bash the 026 should go test drive one.

There a lot of bias here towards wringing more and more out of any saw. For the right size jobs, I happen to like the original 026 saw (with an adjustable carb) , muffler mod or not. I figure a sharp chain has more effect than the muffler mod anyhow, and I keep mine sharp thoughout the day. If the saw isn't big enough for the job then I just reach for the bigger one... By not messing with my saw, I know it will last a long time, and long life is as important to me as a few % cut speed differential. Anyone like to guess what is the effect on lifetime?

kevlar said:
Sorry didnt realize the 346 was a pro saw.
And your bio says you're a Husky technician. So, you're a technician and don't know the current models of the brands you claim to work on?

Don't do a lot of husky saws mostly 385 and 372 mostly stihl in our area but i'm going to check some specs tomorrow for sure.

lumberjach said:
"Chainsaw brands used for work daily". This was a poll taken on this site. Check it out it has had a huge response and since this site is made mostly of pros, I think it says a whole lot. Good luck.

That`s a laughable assumption lumberjach, almost hysterical. That poll doesn`t say squat about the real world. "since this site is made mostly of pros" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lumberjach said:
RB tree, I have to disagree with you on the 200T. I did my research before buying that climbing saw. It has balls for a top handled saw. It is very light in comparison. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better top handled climbing saw. In my opinion stihl has only improved with their climbers. I originally had an 019T. I then upgraded to a 191T. I think the 200T is one of my best investments yet.

You misread my post. I said that the 200T was one of, if not the only, pro Stihl that hadn't changed to smaller, insanely restrictive muffler ports. If it were not possible to mod a muffler, you couldn't pay me to run a new Stihl....

jokers said:
That`s a laughable assumption lumberjach, almost hysterical. That poll doesn`t say squat about the real world. "since this site is made mostly of pros"

Ok you go with average joe's opinion who knows nothing about a spark plug. I will go with the poll of professionals. That Poll speaks volumes! :)

Lakeside53 said:
Not quite true.... The MS260 for about the last year has a larger cylinder and displacement than the original 026/MS260. It was quietly introduced with no model number change. The cylinder is now 44.7mm instead of 44. It performs very nicely... Some of the guys on AS that continue to bash the 026 should go test drive one. .....
At the same time the rated max power output was changed from 3.4 to 3.2 bhp.
Over here they have the new bore acc. to catalog, but power is rated at 3.5 hp (equals 3.4bhp), as it was before the change.
Probably different mufflers and porting between US and GE made Stihls, as with the 361?

twistedtree said:
The difference in power helped me decide on the 346XP. 3.4HP versus 3.2 for the Stihl. Same dealer here covers both so that was not a factor. I actually got the XPG model with the heated handles to counteract my aging hands in the winter.
Good for you!

Better anti-vibe, air filtrasion and imo ergonomics also help! :)

The 3.2 Stihl hp is bhp, and equals 3.3 "Husky" hp, though......

I'd go for the 346xp or xpg if you want the heated handles and carb for the harsher winters.

I have one its dam good put an 18" bar on it and its fantastic little saw great balance. It really really cuts quick used one all day quite happy also used a 026 for the same amount of time the next day-never again the thing was a pain, wasn't mine though so it hadn't been as well maintained.

Only downsides to the 346
No decompression valve - you don't need it on a saw that since but there a nice feature to have.
No transparent fuel tank - great an useful feature especially if felling lot of stuff.

Lakeside53 said:
I figure a sharp chain has more effect than the muffler mod anyhow, and I keep mine sharp thoughout the day. If the saw isn't big enough for the job then I just reach for the bigger one... By not messing with my saw, I know it will last a long time, and long life is as important to me as a few % cut speed differential. Anyone like to guess what is the effect on lifetime?

;) I´m screaming, thats so well resonates with my opinion.
Sometimes the saw porting reminds me PC overclockers which for the several % of speed increase will cook their PC :)

Mr_Brushcutter said:
I'd go for the 346xp or xpg if you want the heated handles and carb for the harsher winters. .......
Just be aware that the 346xpg doesn't have heated carbs on all markets, so if you want that, you better check if it has it where you live.
The Jred 2147WH has it though, and is basically the same saw.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Just be aware that the 346xpg doesn't have heated carbs on all markets, so if you want that, you better check if it has it where you live.
The Jred 2147WH has it though, and is basically the same saw.

Really i saw some xpgs here that have the heated carb as well. Lets face it heated handles are great and worth the extra money for the vibration reduction factor, but heated carbs in the UK is a bit extream i think.

lumberjach said:
Ok you go with average joe's opinion who knows nothing about a spark plug. I will go with the poll of professionals. That Poll speaks volumes! :)

Yeah voulmes of BS. Many of us have spent years here at AS and such polls come and go like dirty socks. This poll seems to have had an unprecedented response as compared to previous incarnations. 390 voters? I doubt it. Something stinks about those numbers. Someone is pulling our leg.

I doubt there are even 390 "pros" lurking here never mind voting in a poll.

Be careful what you read in to numbers.

David you won't be disappointed by the 346. Great saw.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Really i saw some xpgs here that have the heated carb as well. Lets face it heated handles are great and worth the extra money for the vibration reduction factor, but heated carbs in the UK is a bit extream i think.

Heated handles sure are very nice, but they don't have anything to do with vibration dampening. Maybe they make you feel less vibe though, when the hands are cold and wet - never thought of that before...

I don't question that the 346xpg is available with heated carbs in the UK or anywhere else, but it certainly isn't standard on all markets.

I live far North of the Polar Circle, and I have never had any issues that made me miss heated carbs.

Latest posts

Back