Husky 359 VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which is the better saw? The 359 is not an xp model and the MS390 has a lot of plastic. Which was is better made and which do you think will last longer?
If you could only choose between the two which would you buy?

359 no question. much beter power to weight. Muffler on the 359 will need work to wake it up. the 359 does have more plastic than the 0xx class pro stihl saws, but plastic is light weight.

Last edited:
Imo, power to weight is not the main issue here.
The Stihl is homeowner "plastic fantastic" quality, with bad anti-vibe and air filter system.
The Husky is pro quality, even though it is not an xp, with state of the art anti-vibe and filtration. It also has a lot better ergonomics and "feel" to it.

They are simply not comparable saws, even though the specs indicate that they are.

I have the 359 with muffler mod completed and my brother has the 039. I would take the Husqvarna over the Stihl. The MS390 is a good saw, I was impressed with the 359 and really impressed after the muffler mod. Go with the 359, you can probably find a better deal on one too!

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about getting another saw in the 60 cc class. I have a 359 and i am really pleased with it. I just wanted to know what everyones ideas were on the two saws. I would not mind a Stihl Pro saw however, the cost over a husky is so high.
I can't see buying a 357xp becuase they cost 100 bucks more than a 359. Are they worth the extra cost?
Rob

No, imo.

357 will give you a tad more hp but won't give you the torque of the 359. Modified the 359 has lots of potential, the 100$ you save will go a long way to getting it modded.

The only point I don't like on the 359 is the outboard clutch, it is a paint to change chains and I don't like having to get the clutch off to change rims. But that is just a small issue.

timberwolf said:
No, imo.

357 will give you a tad more hp but won't give you the torque of the 359. Modified the 359 has lots of potential, the 100$ you save will go a long way to getting it modded.

The only point I don't like on the 359 is the outboard clutch, it is a paint to change chains and I don't like having to get the clutch off to change rims. But that is just a small issue.

I can't stand the outboard clutch. That is one of the reasons I was thinking about a 390. The 359's clutch is a pain to get chains on anf off and switching rims is a bigger pain in the butt.

I'd learn to deal with the outboard clutch on the 359. Everything other than the clutch placement, and the displacement give it the edge over the 390. As already said, the 359 is a pro saw, made with a more forgiving powerband for less serious users, who need a slightly easier to use (more torquey) saw than the higher revving, but slightly more demanding XP series. The 390 is meant for firewood cutters and farmers, who won't get off their wallet and pony up for a pro series Stihl, but need a mid size saw to cut their wood. Both work, but the Husky is a better designed and performing saw.

Last edited:
Being over 200$ less (after tax and discount) than a 361 here I opted for the 359, for that difference I will live with the outboard clutch.

donnyman said:
No thanks to either one.Ill stick to my old homelite 76.Just my opinton.Don.

That added a lot. :rolleyes:

My vote, like everybody except donnyman, is for the 359. I'm not a fan of the outboard clutch, either, but I can say from experience that the ONLY reason to buy something in the 290/310/390 series is because the 290 is a durable, reliable homeowner saw that can be had for a hair over $300. The fact that you're even interested in the 359 is evidence that you are not going to be pleased with the 290/310/390 series.

If you're willing to spend over $400, it shouldn't be on a 290/310/390 series saw. If this means having to live with the outboard clutch, then I'd suggest finding a way to live with it.

Of the two, I'd definitely buy the 359. I would think about the 361 if I wanted to go Stihl, but I wouldn't even give the 390 a thought.

TimberPig said:
As already said, the 359 is a pro saw,
Wrong, if it is not an XP model it is not a pro saw. Not saying anything about this saw, just saying.

I know this won't get through your head, that has XP stuck in it as "pro saw" but the 353, 359 and 365 are pro saws. They just happen to be ones that aren't tuned to scream quite as hard as a an XP. XP does not mean pro saw, you just have yourself deluded to think that it has to say XP to be a Husky pro saw, which is untrue. A more torquey powerband with slightly less top end power, does not preclude it from being a pro saw.

TimberPig said:
I know this won't get through your head, that has XP stuck in it as "pro saw" but the 353, 359 and 365 are pro saws. They just happen to be ones that aren't tuned to scream quite as hard as a an XP. XP does not mean pro saw, you just have yourself deluded to think that it has to say XP to be a Husky pro saw, which is untrue. A more torquey powerband with slightly less top end power, does not preclude it from being a pro saw.
Have you actually got hundreds of hours of experience running 365 and 372XP saws, to know what I am saying?. The carbs are different, they don't work the same, so yes while they share many parts they do not have the jam, therefore they are not worthy of the XP label. Before the 365/372 saws I found this out with the 61 and the 266XP saws, tell me of your real world experience, like thousands of hours actually using a saw, lets hear it.

You just said it right there, they "aren't worthy of the XP badge". That simply says what I just said, that they have less power output, but are still a pro saw, they just don't put out as much power as the more highly tuned XP line.

donnyman said:
Ya what does that xp stand for.x power ,x punch ,xpudding or xtra on the price.lol.

There was a debate on that at one time a year or two ago. One person had literature from Husky that said it stood for "eXtra Performance", while another had an older XP saw, that had "eXtra Power" factory stamped on it.

There is no doubt that the XP series outperforms the non-XP labeled saws, as the more highly tuned porting and the carbs and other minor details add up to more power output. The XP series are pro saws for the daily user, or other demanding uses, or where the displacement required is beyond that of the non-XP models. The non-XP labelled models like the 353, 359 and 365 are pro saws intended for slightly less frequent use, like heavy firewood cutting, where the slightly lower peak output is offset by the slightly easier to use power. Both are pro saws, just targeted at different segments of the market.

Back