Husky 359 VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimberPig said:
There was a debate on that at one time a year or two ago. One person had literature from Husky that said it stood for "eXtra Performance", while another had an older XP saw, that had "eXtra Power" factory stamped on it.

There is no doubt that the XP series outperforms the non-XP labeled saws, as the more highly tuned porting and the carbs and other minor details add up to more power output. The XP series are pro saws for the daily user, or other demanding uses, or where the displacement required is beyond that of the non-XP models. The non-XP labelled models like the 353, 359 and 365 are pro saws intended for slightly less frequent use, like heavy firewood cutting, where the slightly lower peak output is offset by the slightly easier to use power. Both are pro saws, just targeted at different segments of the market.
Sounds like something a salesman would say, why would any pro use a saw that wieghed the same with less power? SEMANTICS

clearance said:
Have you actually got hundreds of hours of experience running 365 and 372XP saws, to know what I am saying?. The carbs are different, they don't work the same, so yes while they share many parts they do not have the jam, therefore they are not worthy of the XP label. Before the 365/372 saws I found this out with the 61 and the 266XP saws, tell me of your real world experience, like thousands of hours actually using a saw, lets hear it.

The carbs are not always different... I have a 365 special, and it has the same Walbro as the 372 XP.

I thing the jug on the XP series is different, having a different porting scheme altogether.

I view the debate this way - you can order a heavy duty pickup with a couple of different engine choices - small V8, big block, or a diesel.

The engine does not the Heavy Duty pick-up make - it is a compilation of items, like suspension, transmission, etc. They are still all the heavy duty pickup - if you want a little more power you pay a few more bucks...

donnyman said:
Ya what does that xp stand for.x power ,x punch ,xpudding or xtra on the price.lol.
:hmm3grin2orange:
My vote goes to extra price conserning the 346xp vs. 353
and extra power conserning 372xp vs. 365.
With the 357xp vs. 359 it is a toss-up between the two......

If you ask Husqvarna, I think the answer will be extra performance.....

Clearance, I have no problem seeing your point regarding 372xp vs.365 and 266xp vs. 61, but in those cases the xp saws also has a cc advantage.

The story is quite different with the smaller saws, where the carbs are the same, and the non-xp ones have the cc advantage.....

Last edited:
clearance said:
Wrong, if it is not an XP model it is not a pro saw. Not saying anything about this saw, just saying.
It isn't really correct to say that only the XP models are pro saws. The 570 certainly isn't a homeowner saw, right? XP usually stands for a saw with a closed port cylinder. The 357/359 are the same except for the 359 having the capped port cylinder. I think that it is better to draw the line between the models that have plastic vs. metal crankcases.

timberwolf said:
.. The only point I don't like on the 359 is the outboard clutch, it is a paint to change chains and I don't like having to get the clutch off to change rims. But that is just a small issue.
You are right about changing rims, but I do not think the outboard clutch are a pain when changing chains or flipping bars.
In fact I think the "stepped" bar bolts on the Stihl saws are worse in that respect.:angry:

Another downside of the outboard clutch is that they make the space under the clutch cover less "clean", so chips and other debris are easier trapped - eventually blocking the chain/sprocket.
This is most apparent when ripping logs or blocks of wood from the side, making long curly "fries".

Put a bigger sprocket on and give it a try. I could change a stihl bar and chain in the dark, but an outboard husky, I doubt it.

Often when switching chains, if I forget to untension the tensioner befor pulling the bar, when putting a different chain and bar on I cant get at the ajuster screw to loosen it and need to pull the bar and chain off again to get at the ajuster screw.

359 pro saw ?

Hmm,, in my Swedish husqvarna catalog the 359 is stated to be a pro saw ,,,,
though its not sold here ,,,

I love the "non XP models are not pro saw models" arguement....

My 268xp says extra performance on it...It was a closed port saw and made more power in a tighter powerband than the regular 268. The regular 268 is an open port...

Now on the 365's and 372's.... The 365 has everything except the bigger bore and sometimes carb. of the 372. They are both close port, they both have the same timing numbers, yada yada yada. BTW, my 365 special will out gun a 372 with a muffler mod...but it still isn't a pro model :laugh: WTF? The 365 retailed in the high 500's/low 600 dollar range depending on area (non internet sales). I don't know too many homeowners that would lay down that cash for a firewood saw. I guess the company I worked for that used 365's as bucking saws were just saving money and buying homeowner saws :chainsaw:

So it all really boils down to to what? a 350 is a homeowner saw, and just about everything bigger is a professionally built saw that will handle the daily beatings of a professional. The XP is just <insert your definition> of the most powerful model.

Clearance, is a corvette without the Z06 option not a vette? Is a camaro without the SS package, not a performance car? Etc. I could go on all day making up examples. One that has used so many saws should relize the things that are common to pro series saws, not just a sticker on the screamer of the bunch.

woodfarmer said:
359 is in a class with stihl 361, not 390
Talking stock saws, the 359 should have slightly less power output than the 341, and noticably less than the 361.
Regarding quality and engeneering, I agree with you.

There isn't really any Husky model that it is fair to compare to the MS390, as Husky doesn't make "homeowner" quality saws even close to its 64 cubes.

SWE#Kipp said:
Hmm,, in my Swedish husqvarna catalog the 359 is stated to be a pro saw ,,,,
though its not sold here ,,,
Chris J. said:
FWIW the official HusqvarnaUSA site lists the 359 as a professional chainsaw.
This varies around the world, and with time, both with Husky and Stihl (and I guess with others also).
It is more about marketing strategy, than about the quality of the saws - as is the price picture.....:dizzy:

The 359 is in the price list here in Norway, and it costs more than the MS361 ......
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The MS390 price is at the Husky 345 or 350 level......

Freakingstang said:
I love the "non XP models are not pro saw models" arguement....

My 268xp says extra performance on it...It was a closed port saw and made more power in a tighter powerband than the regular 268. The regular 268 is an open port...

Now on the 365's and 372's.... The 365 has everything except the bigger bore and sometimes carb. of the 372. They are both close port, they both have the same timing numbers, yada yada yada. BTW, my 365 special will out gun a 372 with a muffler mod...but it still isn't a pro model :laugh: WTF? The 365 retailed in the high 500's/low 600 dollar range depending on area (non internet sales). I don't know too many homeowners that would lay down that cash for a firewood saw. I guess the company I worked for that used 365's as bucking saws were just saving money and buying homeowner saws :chainsaw:

So it all really boils down to to what? a 350 is a homeowner saw, and just about everything bigger is a professionally built saw that will handle the daily beatings of a professional. The XP is just <insert your definition> of the most powerful model.

Clearance, is a corvette without the Z06 option not a vette? Is a camaro without the SS package, not a performance car? Etc. I could go on all day making up examples. One that has used so many saws should relize the things that are common to pro series saws, not just a sticker on the screamer of the bunch.

Well said...

Back