Husky 365: The confusion continues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There have been a few threads that have tried to sort out the variations for the 365's, so I did a little research today. Actually turned out to be a LOT of research. Got a couple of answers, but some questions remain. I went through the IPL's, but they only tell part of the story. You really have to go through the service bulletins to get some explanations of the changes, as well as when they happened.

OK, the easy one is the carb change from the Zama to the Walbro HD12. This began with serial # 002600898. (26th week of 2000). From service bulletin B0000023: "To ensure easier adjustment (EPA) and compatibility with other models (372EPA, 362EPA)" This change probably solved the off idle acceleration problem of the earlier models.

Now the cylinders, and this is crazy. There are actually FIVE different cylinders listed for the 365. (In contrast to the 362 and 372 which have the same cylinders listed for the entire model run) And although there are 5 different part numbers, there is virtually no information as to how they differ from one another.

First, in 1996 was part # 503691072. This was a non EPA item. Is this the open port one? All cylinders after this are EPA.

There were 2 changes in 1999, and there are 2 1999 IPL's in the lookup material. The first IPL lists part # 503939071. The second 1999 IPL lists part # 503939072 and is also the first IPL to use the word "special". There is no info about what makes them different, or what "special" means. Can't be much, because both part numbers supercede up to #503939005 which first appears in the 2003 IPL.

They all use the same 48mm single ring piston assembly, #503691371, which superceded to #503691303 in 2005.

This all makes a lot of sense, doesn't it????

Oh yeah, the 5th cylinder. Service bulletin B0300060 lists a cylinder "kit" #503939003 which includes the intake boot and clip. It seems that they ran out of the non EPA cylinders for markets outside the US and Canada and used the EPA assembly in order to continue production. "A number of versions will be fitted with the same cylinder that is normally only fitted to EPA versions intended forthe US and Canadian markets" This serial number run was #030501340 to #033501081. So, I guess there are some EPA versions all over the world.

As much as this seems to be a mess, it at least explains some of the inconsistancies. The cylinder change in 1999 took place before the carb change in 2000, so there are some saws that have the newer cylinder with the older carb. We are still in the dark on "special", which also showed up on the 362 in 1999. I'd bet that it doesn't mean squat.

That clear everything up?:laugh: :laugh:

I have a 365 Special. It was made in 2006 and has a Walbro HD12B (don't know what the B means) carb on it. I don't know the difference between "open ports" and "closed ports" anyway's! I know I like the saw though! ;)

I have a 365 Special. It was made in 2006 and has a Walbro HD12B (don't know what the B means) carb on it. I don't know the difference between "open ports" and "closed ports" anyway's! I know I like the saw though! ;)

Here is a pic of a cylinder whit "open ports"
attachment.php

Very good write-up , Spike.....

...I am waiting for Freakingstang to join in here, but he has been very busy lately, so he might miss it......:popcorn: :givebeer:

I allways thought the "Special" designation on both the 365 and 362xp referred to the side chain adjuster, and "semi-transparant" fuel tank, that was introduced with the 372xp, but I could be wrong........:popcorn: :givebeer:

Btw, that side adjuster works surprisingly well, for an "afterthought".

I will try to remember this post, when I have free rep for you again, it really deserves it......... :clap: :clap:

The "Special" designation hasn't been used World-wide, it seems.

Last edited:
...I am waiting for Freakingstang to join in here......:popcorn: :givebeer:

I allways thought the "Special" designation on both the 365 and 362xp referred to the side chain adjuster, and "semi-transparant" fuel tank, that was introduced with the 372xp, but I could be wrong........:popcorn: :givebeer:

Btw, that side adjuster works surprisingly well, for an "afterthought".

I will try to remember this post, when I have free rep for you again, it really deserves it......... :clap: :clap:

I got him for ya SawTroll +1
It really is a good post BTW!!!!!!!
:laugh:

Most of the 365 cylinders used a 2 screw attachment of the intake boot to the cylinder flange as opposed to the round slip over and clamp style of the 372. Timberwolf has one that is a closed port 365 but the cylinder attachment is the round nozzle and clamp just like the 372. That may be the 5th cylinder arrangement.

My saw has the side chain adjuster but doesn't have the semi transparent fuel tank. Not as far as I can tell anyway's. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, but the fuel tank is just as orange as the rest of the saw.

Last edited:
My saw has the side chain adjuster but doesn't have the semi transparent fuel tank. Not as far as I can tell anyway's. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, but fuel tank is just as orange as the rest of the saw.

Well, the tank doesn't look very transparant on my 372 either, haven't been able to see trough it so far - and I have seen several others report the same thing......
I regard it as a gimmick, that doesn't actually work .......;)

Well, the tank doesn't look very transparant on my 372 either, haven't been able to see trough it so far - and I have seen several others report the same thing......
I regard it as a gimmick, that doesn't actually work .......;)
I have to agree with that! :D

Yes, no question the BB will fit the 365.

If you have a screw on carb boot you will need to swap that out for a clamp on boot.

The H12B is the EPA/EU version, with adjustment limiter caps, if memory serves....

Last edited:
It will work also with the zama, but the carb boot needs to be replaced, that all.

I find the only time the actual transparency works is about 1 nanosecond before the tank overflows on my boot during filling. The plastic does get a shade darker as it fills. It is however nothing like the transparency of a Stihl tank.

Most of the 365 cylinders used a 2 screw attachment of the intake boot to the cylinder flange as opposed to the round slip over and clamp style of the 372. Timberwolf has one that is a closed port 365 but the cylinder attachment is the round nozzle and clamp just like the 372. That may be the 5th cylinder arrangement.

The 2 screw attachment was primarily on the earlier, non EPA units. The rest seem to have the 372 style clamp, which first appears in the 1999 IPL. The IPL's can be confusing. since they list both EPA and non-EPA parts right up to the present. We have to assume that only EPA versions came to the US.

Latest posts

Back