husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advise, Probobly a stupid question but what are the exact tools I need to pull the muffler. If I can walk in with just what I need in my pocket maybe they will think I know what I'm doing and will let me. I'm pretty mechaniclly inclined, just never happened to remove a muffler on a husky before.

A 4mm and 5 mm allen wrench.

There are two 4mm head bolts on the muffler bracket, and then there is two 5mm down inside the tubes on the front of the muffler. If you are using a regular L allen, you'll probably need a box end wrench to put on the end of it to break the bolts loose (or a small pipe)

Good saw

I have a 365 10 years, melted the piston due to a torn intake boot. For under 100 bucks after market piston and cylinder brought it back to life. I use it daily for takedowns and bucking big wood. 24" Stihl bar with 72 LG chain, it runs, a half step behind my 372xp. If it has good compression buy it you won't be sorry.
Corey

There are two 4mm head bolts on the muffler bracket, and then there is two 5mm down inside the tubes on the front of the muffler. If you are using a regular L allen, you'll probably need a box end wrench to put on the end of it to break the bolts loose (or a small pipe)

Isn't that retarded? I don't understand the two different sizes. Two wrenches to remove a muffler...doh!!!

BTW, I use a Crescent wrench instead of the box end anymore. I find it easier to focus on how tight you are getting it when going on. Coming off, no biggie either way.

Mark

I bought these:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WTL+33408+01&catID=264

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WTL+33411+01&catID=264

They are nice for saw work.

One note: it's easy to take off the muffler but a tad more difficult to reinstall with the heat shield & exhaust gasket. If you are going for the "looks like he knows what he id doing" look then I would recommend practicing on a similar saw. :popcorn::D

You didn't really bust me, but put an 8-pin on the 372xp, and there surely will be a difference in "moderate" wood as well. It has more power, and also more low end torque......

:greenchainsaw:

I have an 8 pin on my 365, and it runs great!

There really is nothing negative at all about a 365. I love all these recent posts. If its too heavy for you....run it with a half tank of gas to lighten the load!!:cheers:

I bought these:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WTL+33408+01&catID=264

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WTL+33411+01&catID=264

They are nice for saw work.

One note: it's easy to take off the muffler but a tad more difficult to reinstall with the heat shield & exhaust gasket. If you are going for the "looks like he knows what he id doing" look then I would recommend practicing on a similar saw. :popcorn::D

Yep, me too. Most guys don't have them though. I have the snap on ones that are longer than most and still have the short side for breaking those tough little buggers loose.

To reinstall, I use one T handle wrench and one L wrench. Put both of them in the hex of gthe bolt and shove them though the muffler. You can start the one with the T handle and still keep a little pressure on the L wrench to keep the heatshild and gasket from falling down.

If that doesn't work for you, you can stand the saw up with the heat shield and gasket placed on the cylinder and gently set the muffler down in place. This keeps the gasket level and becase the handle is down, gravity can't do any magic....lol

I have a 365 10 years, melted the piston due to a torn intake boot. For under 100 bucks after market piston and cylinder brought it back to life. I use it daily for takedowns and bucking big wood. 24" Stihl bar with 72 LG chain, it runs, a half step behind my 372xp. If it has good compression buy it you won't be sorry.
Corey

i did the exact same thing as you and i couln't be happier with it.

You might try some oil....

They might not let you do it on the prospective saw. But in the future, try a few drops of penetrating oil before loosening the bolts. The bolts on my muffler wouldn't budge so I hit them with a few drops of Kroil penetrating oil. After soaking for about 5 min, they came right off.

Latest posts

Back