Husky 385 good for CSM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novicesawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husqevarna 385 with 36" bar. I ask my local CS mechanic/ parts store about longer bar he said all he can get is 42". If this is the case what is the best set-up anyone would suggest, (is there one on the market)? If there is already a thread on this particular saw please direct me to it.
Thanks
James

I've only ran one briefly and never owned one so I can't say really. I don't see why not? I know a saw needs some heavy duty A/V mounts to handle those big bars.

Don't go any bigger. Get a 3120 or a Stihl 880. Skip the 395, it has the old chain tensioning mechanism without the power of the 3120.

I run 2 385s, one with a full-wrap handle, one without, both with 36" bars and FULL SKIP chain. Great at that length, but no more. Great on those TN pines, I am sure, but you will need a bigger saw when you touch oak or anything but white pine.

I have one and quite a bit of time running it. I run mine with a 30in bar and IMO there not big enough to run a 36 all the time in hard wood. I saw a vid out west where a guy had a 42 on a moded 385 in soft wood and it did fine. I dont run 42s on my 395s but I think a 395 is perfect for a 36. In the mid west a 36 plus bar needs a 084 088 090 or 3120 just my opinoion. I run 42s and 48s on my 084 and 088 and 60s on my 090s which never get used there to big. The 385 is a awsome saw.

Thanks a lot guys, not what I was hoping to hear but glad I ask. Basically to run a 50" bar for big hardwood slabs I'll have to go way bigger, Husqvarna and Stihl are my local options what would you recomend?

I am strickly husky except for two saws climb saw 200t and giant saw 088 880. The 088 to me is a just handles better but if your makeing slabs (and I dont) it probly doesnt mater. Also a 50in bar is a lot for any production saw in hard wood.

I run a 54" mill for a guy sometimes that has ported 385's on either end and they work pretty slick. Last log was a 42" hard maple with no lack in power.

Food for thought.

:smile-big:

I run a 54" mill for a guy sometimes that has ported 385's on either end and they work pretty slick. Last log was a 42" hard maple with no lack in power.

Food for thought.

:smile-big:

This supprizes me greatly, due u mean a double end bar and 2 385s at once. James

I have a Husqevarna 385 with 36" bar. I ask my local CS mechanic/ parts store about longer bar he said all he can get is 42". If this is the case what is the best set-up anyone would suggest, (is there one on the market)? If there is already a thread on this particular saw please direct me to it.
Thanks
James

A 385 will work but I would go with a smaller bar. I would go with a 32" and mill up wood around 24/26" range.

my 2186 jonsered worked fine with a 36" bar. main thing is, keep a sharp "RJ" type chain for ripping. if you run the saw dull slabbing off wood, you gonna get a chance to see the crank bearings... ripping wood is hard on a saw, keep the air filter cleaned very often. i would hate to hear you loose a 900.00 saw.

Latest posts

Back