Husky 455 vs 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke1913 said:
It's like Ford vs. Chevy, 30.06 Remington vs. .270 Winchester, .45 vs. 9mm, etc.
The discussion that's been going on is more akin to arguing that a Daisy bb gun is just as suitable for deer hunting as a 30.06 Remington. Sure, a bb gun has it's place, but it's not the same class as the 30.06. No one is arguing that homeowners won't tickle their panties pink with a homeowner saw--just that it's foolish to mill wood with one.

spacemule said:
The discussion that's been going on is more akin to arguing that a Daisy bb gun is just as suitable for deer hunting as a 30.06 Remington. Sure, a bb gun has it's place, but it's not the same class as the 30.06. No one is arguing that homeowners won't tickle their panties pink with a homeowner saw--just that it's foolish to mill wood with one.
So if one was wanting to mill two tree so and be done with it that person should go out and buy a ......... lets say a Stihl ms660 ? Now if that was the case "that would be foolish ". ha . I had to pull a car across town last week but i didnt go out and buy a new Ford super duty 350 for the job. All things have there place .

So if one was wanting to mill two tree so and be done with it that person should go out and buy a ......... lets say a Stihl ms660 ? Now if that was the case "that would be foolish ". ha . I had to pull a car across town last week but i didnt go out and buy a new Ford super duty 350 for the job. All things have there place .

Why....Yes, that's exactly right...you're supposed to buy a Stihl ms660 to mill one cedar tree, because everyone knows that 'homeowner saws' such as the 455 Rancher aren't up to the challenge, or 'professional' enough. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

It's surprising how duped with corporate marketing-speak some otherwise intelligent people can find themselves.

It's like Ford vs. Chevy, 30.06 Remington vs. .270 Winchester, .45 vs. 9mm, etc.

Correct. And the 455 Rancher is the latest incarnation of the Bren Ten.

coveredinsap said:
And the 455 Rancher is the latest incarnation of the Bren Ten.

No, the 455R is just a fair saw for a fair price. It is generally viewed as being inferior to the 55R, 55, and 51.

Husqvarna haven't hit on some magic "AK-47" (cheap, unbreakable, good) design sweet spot with the 455R. The 455R is just another saw. It may be your pride and joy, but it's just another saw. If it gets the job done, that's all that matters.

In this world, there is always something better. Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Uh, no ..the 455 is an excellent saw for a low price. It doesn't matter whether I own one or not. If the Stihl MS361 was about a $150 cheaper I'd maybe say the same thing about it. It's not so I won't.

And the 'Bren Ten' comment was made in regard to the naysayers who pooh-pooed the highly underrated 10mm cartridge and all the guns chambered for the round.

coveredinsap said:
Uh, no ..the 455 is an excellent saw for a low price.

Err... OK. So we're the guys who are suckered in by the marketing and you're the guy who's getting so much more than he paid for.... Right.

Err... OK. So we're the guys who are suckered in by the marketing and you're the guy who's getting so much more than he paid for.... Right.

Well, if your MS361 spends the majority of it's time sitting on a shelf somewhere all clean and pretty, then yes....you've been had.

Is a 361 a nice saw? Yes. Would I like one to replace my 034? Yes. Am I going to go out and get one before I burn the 034 out? No.

Can I think of a bigger, better saw than a 361. Hell yes. There is always a bigger and better saw.

How does this 455 compare to the 55 Rancher? I owned one for 2 years cutting about 10 cord a year with it. It did fine (so I thought) for what I needed. Then I bought a MS361 and it really opened my eyes. I spend less time in the cut and can handle much larger tasks. Hell over the last two days I felled blocked and limbed a red oak that measured 40" in diam at 5' off the ground! This is something that I wouldn't have been able to do with my 55rancher. And no I am not a pro nor do I desire to be one.
These consumer saws fill a market niche nicely. They work how they are supposed to when they are supposed to but you must agree there are better models available.
Lets look at another analogy... Chevy makes the Cavalier and they also make the Corvette. Both will get you from point A to point B. But to say that the Cavalier is better (because it is cheaper) than a Corvette is simply the most idiotic statement possible.

Now nobody is saying anyone is stupid for buying a homeowner saw. But Sap tends to call everyone who either buys a Pro model or a Stihl for that matter an idiot. Everytime I read one of his posts I picture an overweight balding guy sitting in a dark cluttered room in his whitey tighties (with stains in certain spots) letting loose on these forums just trying to make himself feel more of a man. Well Sap its not our fault you didn't have a date for the prom! AM I wrong? Well prove it... stop acting like an a$$ to all who are different than you.:clap:

Oh and I am not saying that overweight and balding are bad.... just trying to paint a picture.

Freakingstang said:
Which weighs the same as a 372.......

They are such a bargain! :hmm3grin2orange: :sucks:

What weighs the same as the 372?

The 365's wider power band and high torque at low RPMs made it more suitable for my purposes. (carving logs for cabin building)

I'd like to have both actually as well as a 357xp.

Guitars, golf clubs, fishing poles, and chainsaws have one thing in common...more is better.

Tonka56 said:
What weighs the same as the 372?

The 365's wider power band and high torque at low RPMs made it more suitable for my purposes. (carving logs for cabin building)

I'd like to have both actually as well as a 357xp.

Guitars, golf clubs, fishing poles, and chainsaws have one thing in common...more is better.

Sorry, wasn't clear...Little sleep last night... lol

The 365 weighs the same as the 372. I have one of each and love them. Good saws that will last a long with maitnence. going on 7 years with mine now.

That makes the 455 such a bargain. :laugh:

Freakingstang said:
Sorry, wasn't clear...Little sleep last night... lol

The 365 weighs the same as the 372. I have one of each and love them. Good saws that will last a long with maitnence. going on 7 years with mine now.

That makes the 455 such a bargain. :laugh:

Is swapping out the 65cc for the 72xp engine a real big deal? I see from your sig that you've done that.

It is the 372 piston and cylinder you will need for the conversion or you can wait for Baileys to come out with the 372 BB kit which will be here shortly, we are told. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Tonka56 said:
My buddy's 455 Rancher weighs more than my 365 Special. :confused:

Freakingstang said:
... The 365 weighs the same as the 372. I have one of each and love them. ...

According to test reports by DLG and KWF, the 455 weights 5.9 kg, the 365 6.1 kg and the 372xp 6.4 kg as delivered from Husqvarna - all less bar & chain and with empty tanks, but with everything else in place.

I don't really know why the 372xp weights more than the 365, but there may be some reinforcements, that is not precent in a 365 converted to a 372xp....:confused:

Husky also states that there is a difference, but not as much as .3 kg.

want a 455?

I got 2, one is 2004 with normal wear,(some paint missing) $200.00 One is 2006 almost new $250.00.Shipping and insurance 25.00
Ed

FourMoCajuns said:
How does this 455 compare to the 55 Rancher? I owned one for 2 years cutting about 10 cord a year with it. It did fine (so I thought) for what I needed. Then I bought a MS361 and it really opened my eyes. I spend less time in the cut and can handle much larger tasks. Hell over the last two days I felled blocked and limbed a red oak that measured 40" in diam at 5' off the ground! This is something that I wouldn't have been able to do with my 55rancher. And no I am not a pro nor do I desire to be one.
These consumer saws fill a market niche nicely. They work how they are supposed to when they are supposed to but you must agree there are better models available.
Lets look at another analogy... Chevy makes the Cavalier and they also make the Corvette. Both will get you from point A to point B. But to say that the Cavalier is better (because it is cheaper) than a Corvette is simply the most idiotic statement possible.

Now nobody is saying anyone is stupid for buying a homeowner saw. But Sap tends to call everyone who either buys a Pro model or a Stihl for that matter an idiot. Everytime I read one of his posts I picture an overweight balding guy sitting in a dark cluttered room in his whitey tighties (with stains in certain spots) letting loose on these forums just trying to make himself feel more of a man. Well Sap its not our fault you didn't have a date for the prom! AM I wrong? Well prove it... stop acting like an a$$ to all who are different than you.:clap:

Yes, you're wrong....on all counts. The point is, unless you are using the saw in a professional capacity, there is little sense paying big bucks for a 'pro' saw that does hardly any work in the course of a year, and spends the majority of it's time sitting on a shelf somewhere. Why pay $600 for a 'pro' saw when you can pay $350 for a decent saw that does almost the same job? (Unless the point is that it makes you feel better about yourself owning a 'pro' saw, that is.)
In other words, the difference between the 455 and say, the 459 or 361 are minimal to someone who uses it in a non-professional capacity. Particularly since most people don't care a rat's arse for their chainsaw...it just gets thrown in the garage along with the rest of the tools to rust up.

Oh, by the way, the 455 could probably quite easily drop the tree you described. It appears that much of the battle is experience or knowhow ....which apparently gets substituted for displacement in many instances.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back