Husky 61 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straight6jeff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Well, i just recovered my 61 from the bowels of my Dads garage where it has led a rather abused past few years. The amount of chips, dirt, mud and a substance I think h as not been discovered yet was packed into every creavice. The sprocket has two very deep grooves and the bar has some severe heat marks on it. Four hours of disassembly and cleaning, some fresh fuel and oil, it fired off with a few pulls.

Having just found this board a few weeks ago, i ahve been reading a lot about modding and related stuff.

How are the 61 as far as modding potential? Any weak links on this model? Any suggestions? I will be using this predominetly for firewood and homeowner use. But then again, when i bought my welders, I thought the same thing and the uses and projects just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I just recieved a Bailey's catalog yesterday. Thumbing through it last night I ahve marked off the stuff I will be ordering....bar, cahin, sprocket, misc tools.
Anything else suggested?

Bar, chains and sprocket sounds like a good start, but also consider the air and fuel filters.
Consider changing the sprocket to drum and rim, if it isn't that type to start with (can't be really, with "two deep groves").

The weakest point of the 61 Rancher is probably the engine power, as it has the least power of all the saws in that "family" of saws.

Before considering modding it, consider changing out the engine for a better one......

Last edited:
SawTroll, Yes, it has the sprocket now. It will be changed out to the drum and rim. Thanks for the link. Air filter has been adressed, and thnks for reminding me about the fuel filter...added to the list now.

So, It seems that this saw might be best suited for leaving it stock and using it for what it is.

I think so, if you doesn't find a better/larger engine cheap - but then you may have to upgrade some other components also.....

As long as it runs good, it should be a desent firewood saw, as is.;)

Troll would know better than i would, but i think a 268 or a 272 cyl. and piston will bolt right on there, but don't quote me on that.

sure

If your a pansy!

That saw will mod fine, Don't listen to textbook Troll. You could easily be riding up with a 372, much more power than a 361. If you smoke this cylinder bailey has 268 p&c kits for cheap. In fact ANY saw can be tweaked for a performance gain.

If you are serious pm me your email address and I will tell you the first step.

Buck

Troll would know better than i would, but i think a 268 or a 272 cyl. and piston will bolt right on there, but don't quote me on that.

I don't know if the carb is the same, but that is easy to find out from the IPLs at Huskys website, when the info is needed.

Here is a workshop manual that cover the 61 and several other models. Most of what applies to the 61 will apply to the 61 Rancher also.

I don't know if the carb is the same, but that is easy to find out from the IPLs at Huskys website, when the info is needed.

Here is a workshop manual that cover the 61 and several other models. Most of what applies to the 61 will apply to the 61 Rancher also.

The carb from the 61 is not the same 266,268 or 272.And also the flange,gasket,and stud lenghts too beetween cyl is different.

I remember these saws well, I had a 266xp at the time, they are a good, dependable saw. Do as the Troll says, put on a new bar and chain and go for it. Not a powerhouse or a screamer, but fine for a homeowner/firewood guy.

Solid Saw

The 61 is a tank and has really stood the test of time. It may indeed have lasted so long BECAUSE its components are understressed. The Grandad of this line of saws was the 162 and the 162, 61, 66, 266, 268, 272 (I may have forgotten one or two) are all based on the same saw. I understand there are some differences in crankshafts but, essentially, all the pistons and cylinders (in pairs, mind you) wil bolt up. There are also differences in intakes and carbs. Do some research, ask some questions, and find a parts doner. I modded my 162 with a 266 top end, intake, and carb, and it is a boomer. I have been cautioned (legitamtely) that getting carried away with displacement and RPMs may be the last nail in the coffin for a bottom end with some years on it. The 272 top end is tempting, but I decided that the 266 was a better choice.

I did the project for the fun of it.... hard to say whether its cost effective.

Oh, Jonsy 630 and 670 cyl/pistons will bolt up too. Have fun!

Husqvarna 61

The Husqvarna model 61 may not look good on paper but with a 16' roller tip bar and a sharp semichisel chain it will be a pleasure to use. Its power will surprise you. And due to its components being understressed, it will last a long time. In my book this is one of the most dependable and long lasting saws ever made.

Parts are readily available. Rings from Cutters Choice (less than 3 bucks)..high quality GB piston (20 bucks ..more or less) and cylinders are readily available on ebay.

Of course a 66 set-up will give you more power...but it will take more time and the cost will be considerably more.

The 61 is a tank and has really stood the test of time. It may indeed have lasted so long BECAUSE its components are understressed. The Grandad of this line of saws was the 162 and the 162, 61, 66, 266, 268, 272 (I may have forgotten one or two) are all based on the same saw. I understand there are some differences in crankshafts but, essentially, all the pistons and cylinders (in pairs, mind you) wil bolt up. There are also differences in intakes and carbs. Do some research, ask some questions, and find a parts doner. I modded my 162 with a 266 top end, intake, and carb, and it is a boomer. I have been cautioned (legitamtely) that getting carried away with displacement and RPMs may be the last nail in the coffin for a bottom end with some years on it. The 272 top end is tempting, but I decided that the 266 was a better choice.

I did the project for the fun of it.... hard to say whether its cost effective.

Oh, Jonsy 630 and 670 cyl/pistons will bolt up too. Have fun!

The only one you forgot is the Jred 625, and there were a diversity of versions of the 266, 268, 670, 630 and 625, with different power output...........

Latest posts

Back