Husky 66

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Melton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've got a 66 and when its right is down and dirty scary. I've used a Stihl 041 AV for years but, when sharp and ready to go, The 66 blows it away. Do any of you guys have any opinions on a Husky 66? Let me tell you, this ain't for the faint of heart.

Hi Guys, I've got a 66 and when its right is down and dirty scary. I've used a Stihl 041 AV for years but, when sharp and ready to go, The 66 blows it away. Do any of you guys have any opinions on a Husky 66? Let me tell you, this ain't for the faint of heart.

It's a solid old saw, its the big brother of the 61. The 268 open port is essentially the same thing. I guess you could say the 66 was the middle of the road 60-70 cc saw. There were stronger saws but there were definately weaker saws.

It's a solid old saw, its the big brother of the 61. The 268 open port is essentially the same thing. I guess you could say the 66 was the middle of the road 60-70 cc saw. There were stronger saws but there were definately weaker saws.

Not to be a d&ck, but apparently you have become an overnight treasure trove of chainsaw expertise. Sorry, dude, but I aint buyin'.

Spendin' less and less time on AS these days, coincidentally. And that's a fact.

Sawtroll and Moody: Stop acting like snobs and give the guy a break. He's only got 3 posts, so why not welcome him to the site instead of belittling him? With 47,000 posts Niko, I'm sure you've repeated yourself a few times. ;)

Beyond that, there really aren't many topcs here that haven't been covered several times before, so if we go new topics only then there's little left to talk about. Re-visiting a topic rather than using the search feature allows new guys to PARTICIPATE in the dialog instead of just reading an old thread. If anyone feels they have seen a topic enough times before, then they should "search" for something else that they find more interesting.

Bob Melton: First welcome to the site! 66's are kind of rare as they were only on the market for 3 years or so, and they are good runners as you've found out. That entire chassis was updated for both Husky and Jonsered; among the changes were the adoption of a single coil ignition to replace the twin coil set up, different muffler, etc. Husky introduced the 272 at this time and they also fazed out the grey tops of the 61/66. The 61 continued with an orange top, but the 66 morphed into the non-XP 268 open port or "special". Probably due to the 268 being a well known model number for several years.

EDIT: OK, I see he did start the same thread twice. Just a new guy mistake; no big deal.

Last edited:
From the other thread, that started better;

Welcome.

The 66 is a detuned version of the 266/268 family. I couldn't find any power specs, but I would venture a guess of somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5hp. They seem to be well liked by those who own them. There power isn't going to wow most members here, but they will certainly put their share of wood on the ground.

Where are you located at in NC?

4.4 hp, same top end as the later open port 268 (not se, xp or special).

There recently was a long thread on this topic. :msp_smile:

Never owned a 66......but have run the open port 50mm Gilardoni top end ...stock ....then ported. Gilardoni makes a really well made P&C. Not as much power/speed as the XP/Mahle 50mm P&C...but no slouch either....

I have one I got in a package deal with my Poulan 8500 and have cut a fair amount of firewood with it. Mine looks bad and the brake doesn't work, but it cuts well.

Ok, I get it

Sawtroll and Moody: Stop acting like snobs and give the guy a break. He's only got 3 posts, so why not welcome him to the site instead of belittling him? With 47,000 posts Niko, I'm sure you've repeated yourself a few times. ;)

Beyond that, there really aren't many topcs here that haven't been covered several times before, so if we go new topics only then there's little left to talk about. Re-visiting a topic rather than using the search feature allows new guys to PARTICIPATE in the dialog instead of just reading an old thread. If anyone feels they have seen a topic enough times before, then they should "search" for something else that they find more interesting.

Bob Melton: First welcome to the site! 66's are kind of rare as they were only on the market for 3 years or so, and they are good runners as you've found out. That entire chassis was updated for both Husky and Jonsered; among the changes were the adoption of a single coil ignition to replace the twin coil set up, different muffler, etc. Husky introduced the 272 at this time and they also fazed out the grey tops of the 61/66. The 61 continued with an orange top, but the 66 morphed into the non-XP 268 open port or "special". Probably due to the 268 being a well known model number for several years.

EDIT: OK, I see he did start the same thread twice. Just a new guy mistake; no big deal.
I just joined this site and posted in the wrong place to start with. That said, I am thankful for the replies. I'm no rookie at wood cutting. I just don't cut 6 to 10 foot diameter trees. I've been cutting 40 years. Only for my own use as firewood. If having that much experience and having a Husky 66,Stihl 041 as well as an 028 ain't enough to "join the club" or get in the discussions here without sarcasm, I will just opt out. Thanks to all for your time.

Welcome to the forum, and sorry I can't help you out with any tech advice.

Oh, and BTW.......don't ever mention anything about having trouble starting a saw. It's just not worth it. :msp_sneaky:

I Won't

Thanks for the advice...I've been a member of many forums... still am... I was a mod on two... I know how it works. And how it doesn't. I kinda agree, if you can't start your saw you don't belong HERE.

Thanks for the advice...I've been a member of many forums... still am... I was a mod on two... I know how it works. And how it doesn't. I kinda agree, if you can't start your saw you don't belong HERE.

I'm betting there's a lot of guys on this forum that have had issues starting saws at one time or another, be it a new or used saw.

Getting them to admit it, is a whole nother thing. :msp_rolleyes:

I'm betting there's a lot of guys on this forum that have had issues starting saws at one time or another, be it a new or used saw.

Getting them to admit it, is a whole nother thing. :msp_rolleyes:

And getting them to forget about your plight is hopeless.

I just joined this site and posted in the wrong place to start with. That said, I am thankful for the replies. I'm no rookie at wood cutting. I just don't cut 6 to 10 foot diameter trees. I've been cutting 40 years. Only for my own use as firewood. If having that much experience and having a Husky 66,Stihl 041 as well as an 028 ain't enough to "join the club" or get in the discussions here without sarcasm, I will just opt out. Thanks to all for your time.

Hang around here much and you'll be saying stuff like "I remember back when I only had three saws...."

We can all have problems starting a particular saw, start with trying a new plug, then inspect the wiering, and come back if you dont find the reason there - there are lots of other possibilities, but start with the simplest ones....

Back