husky cuts 2-3" sideways, then binds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

You posted this on page 2
crap. that chain has maybe 5 minutes of run on it. over gotta get my phone camera on it so I can see them.

I'm guessing that's what had damaged the last 3 chains I've had in it
along with these pictures -
yE12rD1l.png

K44R2Rf.jpg

What was it you were referring to as having "damaged the last 3 chains", and what is the second picture showing?

Damage to the side of this tooth. This would be on the outboard side. That makes sense with the damaged plate in the other photo.
Isn't the plate in the picture the in-board plate though? Aren't those the mounting lugs at the top of the picture?
Maybe a picture of both plates from a bit further away for better context....

I think I found the problem. fresh damage on this plate says something bad happened recently

I think this is what Tin knocker was referring to ?
This will probably be my last post on this subject. ALL of this (6 pages) and you JUST noticed the damage to the side plate??? Why in post #8 did you have the clutch & sprocket off? How many times have you thrown a chain? Here's a good video for you.

This will probably be my last post on this subject. ALL of this (6 pages) and you JUST noticed the damage to the side plate??? Why in post #8 did you have the clutch & sprocket off? How many times have you thrown a chain? Here's a good video for you.
One of several odd things in this thread. You'd think that this would be fairly obvious and would be in post #1. What isn't obvious is why even though the left side plate is trashed there is no visible damage to the left side cutters shown in the above pictures. However, the right side cutters are damaged. It seems there is much more to this problem than we have been lead to believe....

Excellent video. Looking at some of the pictures posted, I noticed something on one of the chains that should not be there.
1640258172739.png
On the far right side of the chisel link, closest to you, you can see a file mark from the upper tip of the cutter down to the link base going from left to right towards the rake. Sharpening should only be from done from right to left on the link. Have no idea who did that but it definitely should not be there. Just my two cents worth.
Hoping everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.
OT

You posted this on page 2

along with these pictures -
yE12rD1l.png

K44R2Rf.jpg

What was it you were referring to as having "damaged the last 3 chains", and what is the second picture showing?

one of the previous posters had circled some blue splotches on the wood, and suggested that there could be steel(a nail or similar) in the woods. I assumed that was what could have damaged the chain cutters

the second picture is the tree I was cutting, showing how wildly off the cutters are from straight.

Isn't the plate in the picture the in-board plate though? Aren't those the mounting lugs at the top of the picture?
Maybe a picture of both plates from a bit further away for better context....

yes, that is the inboard plate. I don't think there is an outboard plate on this saw.... just the brake. if you want pictures of that I'll grab some ?

Why does it look like more wear on the BACK of the cutters than the actual cutting edge???

you guys are the experts , im just the camera monkey trying to get decent pictures for y'all to diagnose :)

if you highlight/circle the area you want to see I'll try and upload better shots this morning.
thank you!

thanks for helping/trying.
yes, there was a good amount of saw dust and grime packed into saw, I didn't dig it all out until I read the bar could be improperly aligned. then I bushed all the gunk out and checked for square. that's when I saw the damage.

I pulled the sprocket off to verify the pitch of the chain/sprocket were correct.

I've had the saw for about 13 years, so if I guess I would say it's thrown a chain once a year ?

thanks for the video link.

One of several odd things in this thread. You'd think that this would be fairly obvious and would be in post #1. What isn't obvious is why even though the left side plate is trashed there is no visible damage to the left side cutters shown in the above pictures. However, the right side cutters are damaged. It seems there is much more to this problem than we have been lead to believe....

that's a very good question. in not seeing the damage y'all are, but I don't know what to . look for

Excellent video. Looking at some of the pictures posted, I noticed something on one of the chains that should not be there.
View attachment 950494
On the far right side of the chisel link, closest to you, you can see a file mark from the upper tip of the cutter down to the link base going from left to right towards the rake. Sharpening should only be from done from right to left on the link. Have no idea who did that but it definitely should not be there. Just my two cents worth.
Hoping everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.
OT

none of these chains have been filed. when it started cutting sideways I stopped and swapped. then when the second did the same thing , I considered sharpening but realized I had a bigger issue than dull chains and figured I better get qualified opinions, instead of messing up the chain by trying to sharpen it.

they literally went from the package to oil to saw.

bar.jpgbar1.jpg

I've been through this before on my own saws and cured it by changing the bar and got a new chain. The OP mentioned his setup was a new bar and new chain yet we've seen from his pictures that the chain has been re-sharpened. Then someone pointed out that the chain being used is a thin kerf chain and maybe not appropriate for the bar being used.

I'll admit, I beat the crap out of my bars and the chains wear the rails down. When the bars flair, that makes them wider than the kerf in the wood created by the chain and hangs the saw bar to one side of the other and eventually it gets stuck. The fix is to file/grind down the rails so the chain is just a bit wider that the bar(as it's supposed to be) thus allowing the chain to cut and the bar to follow. If the bar in this case is new, and the chain is new but is a thin kerf chain, that tells me that the chain is too thin possibly for the bar meaning the bar is wide enough to get caught in the cut as opposed to the chain clearing the way even if both are new.

Possible fix? Take the bar and the chain back to the dealer and have them match the chain with the bar. Just buying the right length chain isn't always the right purchase.

I'm posting this recap ...

all three chains and bars were new not sharpened.

all three chains/bars did the same thing, cut 8-10 times fine, then sideways.

none of these chains were touched by a file. they came out of the package, into oil, on the saw.

on the drive sprocket, I don't see the kind of damage the video above mentioned. it appears to be in really good shape, but I haven't replaced it, ever.

I'm ordering a new wear plate to replace the damaged piece, and going to check for square and oiling when that arrives.

I'll upload smaller pictures in the future, didn't realize they were huge and showing down the process.

none of these chains have been filed. when it started cutting sideways I stopped and swapped. then when the second did the same thing , I considered sharpening but realized I had a bigger issue than dull chains and figured I better get qualified opinions, instead of messing up the chain by trying to sharpen it.

they literally went from the package to oil to saw.
can you take a pic of the stamped numbers at the base of the bar and the actual box from your chain to compare to see if everything is matched?

Back