husky cuts 2-3" sideways, then binds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad had a chain sharpened along time ago they only did one side of the cutters and it was going side ways in the wood. We were cutting slab wood in the bundle and it was going on an angle like crazy.

That cutter is a right side cutter. That's the mark (looks like a file mark to me) that I was talking about. If there are a bunch of those, it will definitely try to cut a circle. Dull on right, sharp on left equals circle cut. Now all you need to do is figure out what is hitting the teeth on that side.
I tried to circle it but at my age, lucky to be able to type. lmao
OT
Yes, I know that, posted that same picture back on page 5, and have said this more than once here.....

In my beginning I seen uneven length cutters cut even if the bar rails were ok and the raker depth was set even. Think about it .025” on both sides of the chain is an even cut.

Only thing I've ever seen make a saw cut that crooked is someone twisting the saw while your cutting or your teeth are sharpen different from one side to the other I've seen a guy sharpen different angles on his teeth when he turned it around from one side to the other.

On a new chain after the gullet is opened up when resharpening the top cutting edges count the passes you make, I use the file n guide. I file it till the edge is cleaned up. That’s one or two passes. But do that on each tooth. This will keep them even.

Okay, I'll bite...

It might be interesting to see photos of the clutch cover from different angles... dog screws... handle screws... basically anything attached to the powerhead that is near the bar. Clean all the parts off good first!

I have purchased rolls of chain that are bad. The shop may have a bad run of chains. Mine were from china. The test chains I purchased were great, but later I got bad chain. The distributor did acknowledge a problem and warranted the chain including the customers in field. This was several years ago. I switched back to Oregon and I have had zero problems since then. I dont sell as much chain anymore because my customers started going to big box stores for the cheap chain I stopped selling. I still make money because now I sharpen a lot of cheap chain more often. Im certainly not saying this was the posters problem, but it certainly could be a possibilit.

You shouldn't have to let it cool after 4-5 cuts of a trunk that size. Should be able to go all day without needing to be cooled. If it's that hot, it's not oiling. If it's not oiling, it'll be done for by 10 cuts.

it's just too prevent burns from the muffler

I came across a fireman once that was running his chain backwards and was wondering why it wouldn't cut I will tell ya what when I pointed that out to him he was really pist off maybe from embarrassment or what not but I solved his problem.

oh yes, I've definitely done that before. in the thirteen it so years, I know I've installed backwards twice. the first time I definitely wasted and burned the chain. the second time was the very next chain. I sharpened both of them, but only the one that was run for about a minute was still worth using. the other was blue (lol!) and useless

I think I found the problem. fresh damage on this plate says something bad happened recently

I think this is what Tin knocker was referring to ?
When you replace the plate, also replace the aluminum chain guard which you can see in the photo. Looks to me that it has damage. Just my two cents worth.
Have a Merry Christmas
OT

I'm going to toss this out there after reading nearly zero other posts in a hurry. I think I had dissertated a week ago on this, so here is a completely different thought.. Is it possible that the rails are worn out and not square to the bar?? It would not take much "lean" to the chain for it to wander.

I'm going to toss this out there after reading nearly zero other posts in a hurry. I think I had dissertated a week ago on this, so here is a completely different thought.. Is it possible that the rails are worn out and not square to the bar?? It would not take much "lean" to the chain for it to wander.
All bars were new, which doesn't necessarily mean they were square, but unlikely.

Put up pictures of the whole saw. Pictures of it ready to cut.

Then take the bar off, and post pictures of the pieces. Pictures that show the whole piece, not closeups, but the whole piece. This includes the power head, especially the side where the bar attaches. It also includes the piece that holds the bar to the power head. Both sides of the piece that holds the bar to the power head.

Also post a picture of at least one of the bars, both sides of the same bar.

Likely that something under the clutch cover is hitting One side of the chain. Close inspection of the chain will show the side of the chain that is hitting something.

Attachments

• 23331062_1660587010629377_5655597922036939529_o (2).jpg
    23331062_1660587010629377_5655597922036939529_o (2).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 23
I always blow out and clean my saws after each use to help mitigate issues like this. A clean saw is a happy saw😁:chainsaw:
Me to I spend about 2 hours on my saws after every job. I take the chains off soak I'm in mineral spirits to get the gum out blow the saws out clean the air filters. Then put the chains on and sharpen them. It's the only way to keep good saws that cut good and don't give you problems. I clean the fuel tanks and oil tanks every six months to keep anything from plugging.

I do the same thing, probably only takes me about an hour. Proper maintenance is the key to keeping any 2 stroke running or engine for that matter.

Latest posts

Back