Husky dealers disappeared

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has this happened everywhere? We had 3 dealers in town, 2 switched to Stihl and one closed. There is no where to go to put my eyes and hands on a new XP. I have a 97 242XP that is one of my all time favorites. Is there a new Husky comparable to the 242XP?

Has this happened everywhere? We had 3 dealers in town, 2 switched to Stihl and one closed. There is no where to go to put my eyes and hands on a new XP. I have a 97 242XP that is one of my all time favorites. Is there a new Husky comparable to the 242XP?

Not here, we have Husky dealers.

The 346xp is the closest to your 242xp, but more power. Not a new model though, been out for 12 years. Great saw!

Nothing really to do with Husky or Stihl; it's more about the individual businesses. A Stihl dealer near me is about to give up the ghost, but it's all about how he's run his business over the years. It has nothing to do with Stihl.

But one factor to consider is that in some market areas Stihl or Husky could be the stronger player. Husky seems to be much stronger in the Northeast than down South where Stihl is the stronger brand.

Maybe it is telling you to do what you should have a long time ago and get the real orange!!!!261 is what you want! or spend the dollars and get a 362!

Yeah, getting a 60cc saw to replace his 42cc saw when what he wants is a new small-cc saw... that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a direct replacement for the 242 cc in the husky/Jred lineup currently. I have to say, I got a 242xp myself and I don't find it to be all that amazing. I'd step up to a 50 cc pro saw in your case.

Chub,
346 will do you great!
But if you go to Stihl, STAY AWAY FROM THEM ENDING IN "1"!
With Stihl, if it doesn't end in "0" it is a NO-NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like Stihl saws and I'm impressed with the 261, but I like using both brands. They both have their strong suits. Power being one of Huskys. 242 packs a punch for a small saw.

Yeah, getting a 60cc saw to replace his 42cc saw when what he wants is a new small-cc saw... that makes sense. :rolleyes:

I don't think there is a direct replacement for the 242 cc in the husky/Jred lineup currently. I have to say, I got a 242xp myself and I don't find it to be all that amazing. I'd step up to a 50 cc pro saw in your case.

I think there may have been some manufacturing differences or something. I had 2 242's, a 96&97. The 97 had smoother stronger delivery. No amount of carb tuning could get the 96 to respond like the 97.

Sounds like....

...sounds like a pretty spiffy business opportunity for you....

My only local Husky dealer is also a Stihl dealer, guy says both lines sell well.

I suspect alot of the problem wiht Husky pro dealers is that you can go get yourself a 455 Rancher at Lowes, Sears and just about any other big box store around...and most people who don't know their tools will look at the 455 and not see a whole hell of alot of difference between that and a 357XP. Those that do know the difference buy them and then keep them for 10-20 years so not alot of repeat business. Or they buy online from places like Bailey's. Can only by a new Stihl from a dealer I think.

Chub,
346 will do you great!
But if you go to Stihl, STAY AWAY FROM THEM ENDING IN "1"!
With Stihl, if it doesn't end in "0" it is a NO-NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am against the EPA trying to get rid of 2 stroke saws but there a few saws that Stihl does have that end in a 1 that are respected. First is the 361 Second is the 441, The third is the new 261. Not all Stihl saws ending in 1 are that bad, I myself have a 391 and it does its job for me just fine. I do understand where you are coming from though.

Latest posts

Back