Husky help needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
:help: In the next few days I will be rounding up two Huskies that are used in our volunteer wood ministry: a 575 that the dealer says the bearings are shot ($500+ repair estimate) and a 460 that was straight gassed. What info and pictures will you Husky gurus need to advise me if they are worth salvaging or whether we should just part them out and put the proceeds towards a new saw? Please don't bother with questions just yet as I have not seen the saws and I have told you all I know. Thanks in advance, Ron

575- are the piston/cylinder, and crank OK?

460- likely you can find a useable P/C if you need to go that far.

Both are worth fixing. I would fix the either gratis if you supply the parts.

Thanks. What do I need to do besides pull mufflers and take a couple of pictures of piston and cylinder? I'm not sure how to tell the condition of the crank as I don't know squat about the innards of a Husky or any other saw really except a few old McCullochs. Ron

Thats what I LOVE about this site, First two responses the OP gets are from MEN that I would trust to build any saw for me offering to take care of the saws! I LOVE THIS SITE!

ron you can bring them over to my shop and i will look them over and help get them back to cutting wood or fix you up maybe with one that is ready to go.

Terry, thanks as well. We can pay for the work. We just don't know if it is worth it. I can tear down a ten series MAC and the larger MACs and re-ring them as they both just take ordinary hand tools, but I don't know about these more modern saws as I have never been into one. Ron

PS any winter GTG plans?

id say i wont have another gtg until june. i dont mind looking the saws over for a ministry. its good karma to do good things for peolple who do good for others. i can tell you just what they need and let you know what it will cost to put them back in service.

Remembering where the screws go is the hardest part about fixing saws. Lots of cell ph pics, and baggies with Sharpies for labeling everything.

I think 575's also had some problems with the cranks bending. The good news is that 570 cranks will fit.

Neal and Terry, I have some pictures of the 575XP and the mechanic's comments.

Before I get to them as a note to others who may desire to post: even if you don't like what you see or read, please don't disparage the saw shop or the mechanic as I understand that they have been big supporters of the ministry.

That said: The mechanic advises that the crank is good, but "typical of 575s the bearings have spun in the case" thus a new case is needed. He went on to say this is caused by too dirty of an air filter which results in a lean condition that the bearings can't handle. He said the filter on this saw was really dirty. I thought a clogged air filter would cause an overly rich mixture but I didn't question him. Anyway, with the plug removed I can easily turn the crank with just my thumb and index finger gripping the shaft. I would think that a seized bearing that is spinning in the case would be rather difficult to turn with your fingers. The saw's appearance is great IMO given its use by numerous amateurs. As you can see the mechanic has already removed the clutch and the flywheel. I took off the muffler (which was missing an upper bolt BTW). The piston and cylinder showed no scoring. You can see the combustion discoloration on the piston - I don't know if this is typical or not. If you like what you see, do you guys want to flip a coin to see who gets to fix it with the straight gassed 460 going to the other. We are still trying to track down who has the 460. And I'll post some pictures of it so you can judge it as well. Thanks for your interest and offers to help. Ron

View attachment 276504View attachment 276505View attachment 276506View attachment 276507View attachment 276508

idont see how you can tell the crank bearings are spun from the amount of tear down he did. the bearing may indeed be bad but i cant see whether its spun in the case or not.

You offered first, but if you're yielding to Terry I'll pack the 575Xp off to him. I never imagined this much generousity. I just wanted a little advice. But I am thrilled to have someone who actually knows what he is doing fooling with them. Between us, do you think Terry can actually leave a saw stock? BTW I ran this 575Xp once several years ago. I used it to fall an oak with twin 30" stems. While it didn't have the power of my old 82cc MAC, I was favorably impressed.

When they get the 460 to me, I'll post again.

Thanks again for your kind offer. Ron

575- are the piston/cylinder, and crank OK?

460- likely you can find a useable P/C if you need to go that far.

Both are worth fixing. I would fix the either gratis if you supply the parts.

I had to rep you for that offer nmurph! Nothing wrong with helping a fella out!

ron you can bring them over to my shop and i will look them over and help get them back to cutting wood or fix you up maybe with one that is ready to go.

Sent you a rep too! Just like nmurph did, it is nice to see you offer to help a fella out like that!

Back