husky or stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find a closed port cylinder and throw on it and watch it walk away from the 346 and last forever

Now don't I wish! But I did take your advice and bought a new topend from Curt. Nothing wrong with mine except its 44MM. I'm hoping Curt's is 46mm-it has the decomp hole. I was hoping for a decomp valve but the only one I've been able to find is new OEM from my local dealer for $36 yikes! I ordered a plug for now.

Now don't I wish! But I did take your advice and bought a new topend from Curt. Nothing wrong with mine except its 44MM. I'm hoping Curt's is 46mm-it has the decomp hole. I was hoping for a decomp valve but the only one I've been able to find is new OEM from my local dealer for $36 yikes! I ordered a plug for now.

The ones I got from him last year were 46mm. I think baileys carries the decomps for 10-15 bucks. I have one I will send ya, but the button is tweaked a little to the side

Thanks for the offer....

I might take you up on it. I'll try the plug first since I already ordered it. But I like decomp on my 359s. It's easier on your arm and the starting components. The 5100s is the hardest cranking saw I've tried yet. Would you agree?

Do you think the 346 is better built than the 026/260?

I have never ran a 346, just held one. They run fast but since I have 2 of the 026s, I have no need for one. Not beating on the 346 but I don't think it's built like a 026/260. I do, however, want to try a 5100 in the future.

If so, then yes the 346 is built better than the 55, if you favor the stihl build quality, then the 55 is built almost identical.
The 55's will take a lot more abuse before breaking than the 346.

From reading, that is what I found also.

Do you think the 346 is better built than the 026/260?

If so, then yes the 346 is built better than the 55, if you favor the stihl build quality, then the 55 is built almost identical. The only non pro built feature about the 55 is the solid mounted carb. There isn't vibration damping between the carb and the cylinder (well not much anyways)

The 55's will take a lot more abuse before breaking than the 346.

The weight difference is pretty obvious, so the 55 better be more sturdy.....

2000sm6 or other 026 fans,
Is there any easy way to make a fixed H jet adjustable on an 026 without changing the carb? My brother in law has a mint 026. When the barometer is low and its warm out the saw is a little sluggish and 4 strokes a little all the way through the cut (I've heard it's only supposed to 4 stroke at the very beginning then clean up when buried in the log). Anyways, I told him that being a little rich was good in that if he had to clear a blow down in 25 deg F, he wouldn't have to worry about being too lean.

Is there any easy way to make a fixed H jet adjustable on an 026 without changing the carb? My brother in law has a mint 026. When the barometer is low and its warm out the saw is a little sluggish and 4 strokes a little all the way through the cut (I've heard it's only supposed to 4 stroke at the very beginning then clean up when buried in the log). Anyways, I told him that being a little rich was good in that if he had to clear a blow down in 25 deg F, he wouldn't have to worry about being too lean.

Just change the carb...........WT194 is the best option........WT426 will work but has less adjustment......

Ultra got it:clap: , just get another carb. They float around on ebay all the time. If it's not new, you might want to rebuild the carb before installation. That saw will really wake up with the oem port in the muffler opened up. You will need the 194 or 426 carb to do this though. I would say get the carb, port the muffler and take the saw to your dealer to set the L and H with a tach. The muffler is simple to port, 4 T27 torx screws and it's off. Let me know if you need pics on how far to open up the muffler. You might have the cover with 2 small ports or 4 small ports. I got both....

do a muffler mod on it. That is what I did to mine and never changed the carb. One or two 5/16 holes above and below the stock hole. Seemed to be about perfect all year round, no bs

Sold my 455 rancher today for £250 $490 Yipee no more shame (apart from the 280 lol) think i could have got more for it though!
UK rrp for a rancher is £465 $915 lol

Sold my 455 rancher today for £250 $490 Yipee no more shame (apart from the 280 lol) think i could have got more for it though!
UK rrp for a rancher is £465 $915 lol

what, you sold the 455? Some guys think that is the end all saw!!!!!!

lol, I'm sure you found it useless after the 036, huh?

what, you sold the 455? Some guys think that is the end all saw!!!!!!

lol, I'm sure you found it useless after the 036, huh?

To be honest the 036 wasnt that much faster, Until i did the muffler but it did handle much nicer :)
so now ive got £250 towards the next saw im not sure a 361 is worth getting while i have the 036 prob go for a 70ish cc saw

Awwww, CAS is at it again. Its a terrible disease, I just got over another round of it, gets expensive to treat...

Latest posts

Back