Husqvarna 24" bar and chain to big for the 555!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 562XP manages to squeeze another 0.4hp out of the same sized engine, and has rev boost. Those were the onl differences I was aware of. Yeah, it's lesser, but not by too much.

Of course, the 562 does have the cool, silver and orange, two-tone color scheme. That's got to be worth the extra $110 :biggrin:

.4 kW = between .5 and .6 hp.

The 562XP manages to squeeze another 0.4hp out of the same sized engine, and has rev boost. Those were the onl differences I was aware of. Yeah, it's lesser, but not by too much.

Of course, the 562 does have the cool, silver and orange, two-tone color scheme. That's got to be worth the extra $110 :biggrin:

I struggled a bit deciding between the two, but am glad I went with the XP.

The 555 is a very nice saw though. I do like the slightly lighter weight and small mount bar.

A 24" bar on a Triple Nickel is a one off thing, used as required. Thankfully we cant even order a Triple Nickel with a 24" bar here yet, or a 24" small mount bar here yet.

The Triple Nickel blows the doors off of all stock Husqvarna small mount saws except the 262.

Have run my 555 many hours with the 20" bar that it is intended for,but I have put considerable time on it with a 24" b&c and it done quite well. Was it faster than a bigger cc? Of course not. Was it $100 cheaper and lighter than any competition-hell ya. I use my 440e w/13" b&c far more for white and red elm-my preferred wood. But the 555 is more than capable of the big wood when it shows up.

I struggled a bit deciding between the two, but am glad I went with the XP.

The 555 is a very nice saw though. I do like the slightly lighter weight and small mount bar.

It came down to dollars for me. I hear great things about the 562; but, for my needs, the 555 more than fits the bill. I do like that 2-tone color scheme, though . . .

By the way, I run an 18 inch bar on mine.

Tell the dealer that the 555 w/24" bar is a mismatch; either swap the 24" bar for a 20", or full credit for the 555 on a 372xp. No way a 555 will run a 24" bar buried, and the balance will be off.

I sell alot of 362's and 391's with 24" bars to taller guys who want to cut 16-20"
wood and not bend over as far. If you were cutting full bar with it constantly then
372 would be a much better than a 562 or 555.

Is the 555 that much weaker than a 562? My 562 pulls a 24 with ease and will cut right with my 372 both on 20 inch bars until bigger wood.

I really like the all orange clutch cover on the 555. I'm planning on getting two for my 562's.

Just bought a Husky 555 used. It was a good deal so I snapped it up. Only thing wrong with it is it needs a new chain brake handle which I imagine won't be too expensive or difficult to swap. This saw came with a 24' bar on it and its balance is definitely nose heavy and overall just doesn't seem like the right bar for this saw though I'll keep it in the box in case I need it some time. For those of you who have owned and run this saw what is your favorite bar and chain combo on it????

Just bought a Husky 555 used. It was a good deal so I snapped it up. Only thing wrong with it is it needs a new chain brake handle which I imagine won't be too expensive or difficult to swap. This saw came with a 24' bar on it and its balance is definitely nose heavy and overall just doesn't seem like the right bar for this saw though I'll keep it in the box in case I need it some time. For those of you who have owned and run this saw what is your favorite bar and chain combo on it????
18”
Stock 50cc with unlimited coil and MM. with a good sharp chain I cut 30” hardwood (eucalyptus) with ease...from one side...
Is my 661 faster in that size wood? Uh, yea but sometimes I like to just keep going down the log with the much lighter saw.

I love a 15" or 16" B/C as its a fast light setup, but I sometimes run a 20" on it too. I've not seen a small mount 24" bar though I'm sure they exist. I'd hear the wood laugh at me if I walked up to it with a 60cc saw in hand with a 24" b/c. But in soft woods it may work OK I suppose.

I run a 20" Oregon powermatch with Stihl RS yellow chain on my 555 for the last 6 months and I have had zero complaints with either the bar/chain.
Saw pulls that setup well through hardwood and balance is good. I have REALLY been impressed with that RS chain too.

Ill try and throw a pic or two up later tonight.

Shoot @thechainsawguy a message. He sells Tsumura bars and he’s in Vancouver.

I run a 20" Oregon powermatch with Stihl RS yellow chain on my 555 for the last 6 months and I have had zero complaints with either the bar/chain.
Saw pulls that setup well through hardwood and balance is good. I have REALLY been impressed with that RS chain too.

Ill try and throw a pic or two up later tonight.
Which bar model and chain model? I've been considering the Stihl chain after seeing how well it holds up because the Oregon 72LGX does not stay sharp for long.

I run a 20" 3/8 .050 with 72LGX chain to complement a 16" on my 550xp when the trees are bigger. With a sharp chain it pulls really well.

I also use a 24" bar with it for occasional milling but have not used that bar for firewood work.

My saw also has the 562 top end and coil but I don't know how much difference it really makes.

Latest posts

Back