Husqvarna 24" bar and chain to big for the 555!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which bar model and chain model? I've been considering the Stihl chain after seeing how well it holds up because the Oregon 72LGX does not stay sharp for long.

I run a 20" 3/8 .050 with 72LGX chain to complement a 16" on my 550xp when the trees are bigger. With a sharp chain it pulls really well.

I also use a 24" bar with it for occasional milling but have not used that bar for firewood work.

My saw also has the 562 top end and coil but I don't know how much difference it really makes.

Image Unavailable
Image not available for
Color:

• 61rr3bo5lHL._SX679_.jpg
Roll over image to zoom in

Oregon 200RNDD009 .050" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 20" Power Match Bar

Here are the specs on the bar I have been using. My saw is stock, but have been thinking about doing a muffler mod, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Below is some info from Stihl's website. I am also running a 3/8 pitch, .050" gauge and 72 DL.

rs.png

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS) Specifications
SAW CHAIN GAUGE 0.050" .325" Pitch - Part #3637
3/8" Pitch - Part #3623
SAW CHAIN GAUGE 0.058" .325" Pitch - Part #3638
3/8" Pitch - Part #3622
SAW CHAIN GAUGE 0.063" .325" Pitch - Part #3639
3/8" Pitch - Part #3621

Benk - thanks for the chain info, looks like I need #3623.

Just want to make a small correction on the info you posted for the bar incase someone is going to order a bar after reading this thread. You listed the part for the Husqvarna big mount saws (ex: 562xp) D009.
The Oregon small mount is K095. So it would be 200RNDK095.

Benk - thanks for the chain info, looks like I need #3623.

Just want to make a correction on the info you posted for the bar. You listed the part for the Husqvarna big mount saws (ex: 562xp) D009.
The Oregon small mount is K095. So it would be 200RNDK095.

Good point. I just pulled a screen grab from the web and probably should have taken the time to verify all the info, my bad.

Agreed, anything 555 related would need to be small mount.

Well I have just put my recently purchased used 555 through 3 cords of dougie fresh it had 24'bar and skip chain on it. Honestly it fricken rips it's a lil nose heavy and limbing is a lil awkward hardly a bother though. But it slides like butter throug trees with the bar buried.

A Poulan 5020 with 50 ccs comes standard with a 20" bar. I would think a 59cc would handle a 24" with no problems - other than being slightly nose heavy.

If the oiler will handle it, the engine should be fine. It should zip with the 20 though.

A 24” bar on a 555? I put a 24” bar on my sons 460, but with a 8th tooth rim and a skip tooth chain. But once the big wood was cut I gave him a 18” & 20” bars for it. I don’t like over working 60cc power heads. I gave him recently a 570 xtorq for the bigger wood.

A 24” bar on a 555? I put a 24” bar on my sons 460, but with a 8th tooth rim and a skip tooth chain. But once the big wood was cut I gave him a 18” & 20” bars for it. I don’t like over working 60cc power heads. I gave him recently a 570 xtorq for the bigger wood.

Bill, what's your thinking behind increasing chain speed and reducing the number of cutters? Seems like if you want to reduce the load on the saw by going to skip chain, it'd be counterproductive to then regear the chain speed to a higher ratio.

I figure it’s less pressure on the saw with the skip tooth but will cut faster with the 8 tooth. Your right I’ll think about it. My thinking is with 50% less teeth on the chain that’s 50% less load load on the power head. So I can speed up the chain with no more load added to the engine.

Latest posts

Back