Husqvarna 268 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello looking a getting another saw in the mid power range close to the 61 model.and i was looking at maybe the 268 model. wanting to run a 24-28" bar max on it cause i all ready have a 395xp for my big saw. just want something like the 61. dont really want a stihl either Im pretty loyal to the husky saws.

thanks doug

hello looking a getting another saw in the mid power range close to the 61 model.and i was looking at maybe the 268 model. wanting to run a 24-28" bar max on it cause i all ready have a 395xp for my big saw. just want something like the 61. dont really want a stihl either Im pretty loyal to the husky saws.

thanks doug

Bear in mind that there are two 268 Huskys........the 268XP and the regular open port 268....24-28 is asking quite a bit from even an XP.....would probably be OK with skip chain....or move up to the 272XP...all about the same size/weight as the 61......regular 268 would be happier with a 20"

Bear in mind that there are two 268 Huskys........the 268XP and the regular open port 268....24-28 is asking quite a bit from even an XP.....would probably be OK with skip chain....or move up to the 272XP...all about the same size/weight as the 61......regular 268 would be happier with a 20"

The closed port 268 actually has a higher power rating than the 272. But the .2 hp is not easy to notice. We run a 24 full comp on a stock 268 and it's not too bad. But I agree that it's a lot happier with a 20.

well my dad has the profesional series 61 with a 24" bar and skip chain and it screams and run great. they are hard to find and in good shape. thats why iwas looking for something close to it in size and weight

The closed port 268 actually has a higher power rating than the 272. But the .2 hp is not easy to notice. We run a 24 full comp on a stock 268 and it's not too bad. But I agree that it's a lot happier with a 20.

You get that wrong, the 268xp was rated at 3.5 kW/4.8 hp, and the 272 at 3.8 kW/5.2 hp. The open port 268 was rated at 3.2 kW/4.4 hp.

Well, everyone has a different definition of what "screaming" is. But if you are somehow happy with a 61 and a 24" bar, then you will be euphoric with a 268xp and 24" Bar. I had a 61. I gave it away because I didn't even like the way it ran with a 16".

268XP has more horsepower than a 272XP with both being stock?? I'm not finding any numbers to support that. The numbers I seem to keep finding are 5.2 for the 272 and 4.8 for the 268XP and 4.3 for the open port 268...advertised numbers can be all over the place but with 5 more cc and running the same 260 carb I can't see where the 272 could be less power. In real world cutting I've found the 268XP and 272XP to be very, very close until you push bar length over 24" then the 272Xp pulls ahead.....just from displacement...not trying to argue just sayin...

61's are plentiful and easy to upgrade to the larger cc if wanted, might be a cheaper way to go...................

Well, everyone has a different definition of what "screaming" is. But if you are somehow happy with a 61 and a 24" bar, then you will be euphoric with a 268xp and 24" Bar. I had a 61. I gave it away because I didn't even like the way it ran with a 16".

Whatdayamean?? 61s are GREAT!!!.......to put 268XP or 272XP top ends on........LOL!!! I still have a 61 I bought with less than one chain used up on it.....it always ran good.....dependable.......no real complaints.....just not an impressive saw power wise..but good cutter for chores/firewood etc.

The 61 I had too was an 85' and near mint. I gave $60 for it. It only found a new home because I had a guy sand and finish my floors and he gave me a hell of a deal. We got to talking saws and he mentioned he was without one but occasionally needed one. I felt good to have him have it, especially since I didn't have much in it. It wasn't very impressive but I did kinda hate to see it go, but I knew I would never use it.

You get that wrong, the 268xp was rated at 3.5 kW/4.8 hp, and the 272 at 3.8 kW/5.2 hp. The open port 268 was rated at 3.2 kW/4.4 hp.

All the information I found said that the 268xp was 5.4

Correction I was getting advertised power ratings

i have two 61's, one i that now has a 272 top end on it, the other i think i'm going to keep the stock top end on and try a few mods to see if the stock top end can be improved, although it does run well as is, i bought it just for that reason, to see if it can be improved with some slight mods................

Easy to get tangled up in this family of saws........very interesting........and if you think you've got it figured out, then you can add the 625, 630 and 670 Jonsered which also includes "Supers", "Super II's of all three of those plus the "West Coast" versions and the "V" versions of basically the same family of saws....but different.....LOL!!! Cheers!!!!!

Whatdayamean?? 61s are GREAT!!!.......to put 268XP or 272XP top ends on........LOL!!! I still have a 61 I bought with less than one chain used up on it.....it always ran good.....dependable.......no real complaints.....just not an impressive saw power wise..but good cutter for chores/firewood etc.
I agree!! Plus they feel great!

Latest posts

Back