Husqvarna 268 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad's 61 is a orange top and it has the metal hand gaurd/brake instead of the plastic ones that the newer saws have.

With the 24" bar and a sharp chain it will scream right through a piece of pine. And it has great weight and balance.

What about the 261 or 262?

My dad's 61 is a orange top and it has the metal hand gaurd/brake instead of the plastic ones that the newer saws have.

With the 24" bar and a sharp chain it will scream right through a piece of pine. And it has great weight and balance.

What about the 261 or 262?

Whole different saw family.....262 is the same displacement as the 61.....but that is where the similarities end...besides being orange. 262XP is highest performance saw in it's family........61 is the lowest performance saw in it's family.....the 261 is a detuned 262.....kinda like the differences we were speaking of concerning the closed port 268XP and the open port 268 non XP earlier.....

So are all the top ends interchangeable from the 61 to 272xp?
Im not all up on chainsaw parts swapping....lol

seen a 261 with a 262 top end put on it on here for sale. Is that a good swap? Like I mentioned before wanting a saw to to run a 24" bar full skip chian and not heavy. Im cutting red fir,tamarack/lodge pole pine and thats about it.

Easy to get tangled up in this family of saws........very interesting........and if you think you've got it figured out, then you can add the 625, 630 and 670 Jonsered which also includes "Supers", "Super II's of all three of those plus the "West Coast" versions and the "V" versions of basically the same family of saws....but different.....LOL!!! Cheers!!!!!

So, the Jonsered 670 super is actually which Husky?

Bear in mind that there are two 268 Huskys........the 268XP and the regular open port 268....24-28 is asking quite a bit from even an XP.....would probably be OK with skip chain....or move up to the 272XP...all about the same size/weight as the 61......regular 268 would be happier with a 20"
My 268 pulled full comp 28 easy

The closed port 268 actually has a higher power rating than the 272. But the .2 hp is not easy to notice. We run a 24 full comp on a stock 268 and it's not too bad. But I agree that it's a lot happier with a 20.
I’m new to the site and have a question about being able to tell the difference between open and closed port engines . A rookie question obviously, but I have to start learning somewhere lol

I’m new to the site and have a question about being able to tell the difference between open and closed port engines . A rookie question obviously, but I have to start learning somewhere lol
Also , I have wrenched on small engines off and on for the past 35 years or so . I am just now, unfortunately , getting the time and true desire to start hopping up saws . This being said , I have 2 - 268’s. One running and the other needing a cylinder and piston kit . Any insight to the beginner for my first performance upgrades to the non running 268 will be greatly appreciated .

From the outside, a bulge is visible at the base/both sides of the closed port cylinders. And usually no or insignificant cylinder fins on the bulge. When disassembled, the difference is obvious.
ps, there's nothing wrong with open port cylinders. Usually they are tuned for torque, which is nice, imo.

Latest posts

Back