Husqvarna 281/288 experts. What is this for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romad10

Recon Observe Mark And Destroy
Reaction score
What purpose does this black rubber grommet serve??? Not a guess, what it truly is for.

It was also on low top covers that have the warm air bypass blocking plate. See below pics.

There is no way to stop the airflow from cylinder to airbox which is strange. And why the wierd shape? Why such goofy shape for a hole?

Thx guysCapture+_2018-02-12-12-09-50.jpg1518052995646_2.temp.jpg1518052981714_2.temp.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-07-20-59-32.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

winter/summer
No way to plug it, Its always open. Its always winter, even when its 104F? And it has the flat plastic "window" above it that allows you to open and close? Doesn't make any sense.

Has to be another reason. Cant be winter/summer. Unless husqvarna engineers liked to waste money putting a part in a saw that serves no purpose.

No way to plug it, Its always open. Its always winter, even when its 104F? And it has the flat plastic "window" above it that allows you to open and close? Doesn't make any sense.

Has to be another reason. Cant be winter/summer. Unless husqvarna engineers liked to waste money putting a part in a saw that serves no purpose.

Open it in the winter. Close it in the summer.

Ive got several of the 501639701 at my place and they are way too small to fit. Probably 1/4" OD is too small.
See pic, backside, it might work on a 266/268 topcover with thin seperator wall. But this rubber passthrough won't work with that plug on e replacement.
b63ff48f13a0615a804403464964000a.jpg

What purpose does this black rubber grommet serve??? Not a guess, what it truly is for.

It was also on low top covers that have the warm air bypass blocking plate. See below pics.

There is no way to stop the airflow from cylinder to airbox which is strange. And why the wierd shape? Why such goofy shape for a hole?

Thx guysView attachment 632298View attachment 632299View attachment 632300View attachment 632301

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I'm not familiar with the model, but it looks like it may be for/could be for an air injection nozzle/Shute ?

My 288 doesn't have anything like that. Must be something on newer saws. Mine is from 1988.

What difference does it make just run the saw

What difference does it make just run the saw
That makes alot of sense. Ill ask you next time for permission to post here, just to make sure its ok to ask questions here about something.

Howdy,
Those things go way back to the 181. That series of saws originally took their intake air through the hole the carb box that the throttle lever went through. So they introduced a grommet to seal the throttle lever hole and introduced the air guide on the shield in the cover between the cylinder, and the carb box. The strange thing is that the covers still had the window that you could open and close up near the top of the cover for winter use. If you're not needing it for cold weather, I wouldn't bother putting a window in.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
Those things go way back to the 181. That series of saws originally took their intake air through the hole the carb box that the throttle lever went through. So they introduced a grommet to seal the throttle lever hole and introduced the air guide on the shield in the cover between the cylinder, and the carb box. The strange thing is that the covers still had the window that you could open and close up near the top of the cover for winter use. If you're not needing it for cold weather, I wouldn't bother putting a window in.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg, thx much for that. Ill look into it ;).. I like to try to figure out "the why"...

Back