• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Husqvarna 281xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogBeltFanatic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
281xp.jpg Older 281xp, low top, metal brake handle, runs like a champ. About 3 hours on a new factory piston and rings, muffler has second port, and has full wrap handle. This saw does not have a compression release...for those of you who haven't started an 80cc saw without one, it's all a matter of timing but it's not difficult, just takes practice. Will have pics up later, will come with a bar and a new loop of Carlton .375 050 chisel. I have saws that cover all the bases, and this one deserves to be used more than it is. It may need a new switch, though I'll pull it and clean it. Asking $350 plus shipping to where ever you happen to be.

Here be images. You will note that there are six holes on the back of the top cover. Those are for air. They are 1/2" dia. Since this is an older saw and doesn't have a fancy air injection, or stand-off back covers like Stihls can use, the holes compliment the ported muffler, and a "sock" is used over the stock muffler (nylon or flocked). I find it makes turning more precise and the saw revs a bit more freely. They can be blocked off or an unholy cover put on. Or you can do what some do and chop a hole in it and put a venturi stack and big foam filter on. Always felt it was too easy to snag on something.

It's dirty in the photos, but it cleans up real nice, and it will get cleaned tomorrow. I am always amazed that both 281s have the original plastic and paint and still look as good as they do, especially considering that this saw was built in 1987.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0153.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0153.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG0154.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0154.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG0155.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0155.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG0156.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG0156.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
If I was thinkin of plunkin down $350......Id want more pics to make a good decision !!! Both sides..top and bottom ...front and back . The one pic you have on looks good though !

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. What size bar is that? Thin ring or thick ring piston?

If I was thinkin of plunkin down $350......Id want more pics to make a good decision !!! Both sides..top and bottom ...front and back . The one pic you have on looks good though ! Take a look on here..at how others do it . :)

I'll get more pics up tomorrow when I have time to get some clean and detail shots. That said, the chain side, bottom, and top look the same...clean, and in good shape for its age. If I get the time I'll also post a short video of it running.

That is a low hour saw. The area behind the starter where the AV mounts gets scuffed up very quickly. That one still has all the paint. The fact that it has a replacement top is a little concerning...lean? straight-gassed?? But as long as the top end is OEM and I got a pic of the cylinder, I would be tickled with that saw for $350.

Does the CB work? The CB bands are NLA.

The starter handle is AM.

I know. I like that family of saws and currently looking for a project one right now to build with the others. Got to make sure I don't go all creamsickle.

That is a low hour saw. The area behind the starter where the AV mounts gets scuffed up very quickly. That one still has all the paint. The fact that it has a replacement top is a little concerning...lean? straight-gassed?? But as long as the top end is OEM and I got a pic of the cylinder, I would be tickled with that saw for $350.

Does the CB work? The CB bands are NLA.

The starter handle is AM.

The piston didn't need replacing necessarily, I simply got a screaming deal on the last two 52mm factory piston sets a local saw shot had in stock and tossed one in. The other went in to my other 281, otherwise it'd come with this saw. Never been lean, I simply don't run 50:1 in anything I have. Lol, yep, it even has the original front spring and dawgs. The CB works fine, which is nice considering as you say the bands are NLA. I'd simply put a newer cover on with the plastic handle like my other one has, but I kinda like the original look.

The piston didn't need replacing necessarily, I simply got a screaming deal on the last two 52mm factory piston sets a local saw shot had in stock and tossed one in. The other went in to my other 281, otherwise it'd come with this saw. Never been lean, I simply don't run 50:1 in anything I have. Lol, yep, it even has the original front spring and dawgs. The CB works fine, which is nice considering as you say the bands are NLA. I'd simply put a newer cover on with the plastic handle like my other one has, but I kinda like the original look.

Oh, yep, the starter handle is AM..it's one of those softer units from Baileys. I don't always get the pull timing right, so it's a bit of cushion the OEM didn't have. I actually liked it so much I put them on all my other saws. And, lol, no, I don't work for Baileys, I just buy stuff there from time to time.

Oh, yep, the starter handle is AM..it's one of those softer units from Baileys. I don't always get the pull timing right, so it's a bit of cushion the OEM didn't have. I actually liked it so much I put them on all my other saws. And, lol, no, I don't work for Baileys, I just buy stuff there from time to time.

I have used quite a few of those very handles, though I didn't get them from Baileys. They are cheap, soft, and tough...

Yes they are. I was kinda skeptical but I have not broken one yet in four years of using them, so I'm sold.

Will try to get a few more pics up today, as promised, and perhaps a vid. I'm sure we are all busy right before Christmas, and we have hours to drive and less and less time to prepare, so I'm not paying as much attention here as I'd like. And so I don't forget, I'll say it now, everyone have a safe and Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Back