husqvarna 288xp lite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grack

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi i would like to get your opinion on this saw my brother gave me
it is a 2001 288xp lite he retired from injuries after 35+ years as a feller+climber
he had 8 or 9 pro husky saws but this is the only one he couldnt sell after a fuel line it runs perfectley he gave me 5 bars and chains.
my question is what are the differences with a normal 288xp and this one
if its going to be an issue with durablity and parts availibility i have been offered 500.00 for the powerhead that i could put toward a new saw.
p.s. what new saws will these bars fit i have used mainly smaller saws.
thanks everybody.

That is a big saw but older. If your cutting big woo 30"+ keep it. Parts are harder to find but the husky large mount fits most newer saws 60cc and up.

It's your saw you do what you want but if it were me and my brother gave it to me and it being a 288 also aint no way i would part with it but that;s just me

Mike

That is a big saw but older. If your cutting big woo 30"+ keep it. Parts are harder to find but the husky large mount fits most newer saws 60cc and up.

There are no parts issues with 288's. it's only been about 8 years since they stopped selling them in the US, and they are still being made in other parts of the world. Very popular saw for many years here and Husky continues to support them.

288's are still very highly regarded, and if you need a saw that size, then you should keep it. If it's more saw than you want to run, then it would make sense to sell it and and get something more suited to your needs.

There are no parts issues with 288's. it's only been about 8 years since they stopped selling them in the US, and they are still being made in other parts of the world. Very popular saw for many years here and Husky continues to support them.

288's are still very highly regarded, and if you need a saw that size, then you should keep it. If it's more saw than you want to run, then it would make sense to sell it and and get something more suited to your needs.

:agree2:

I don't know how you and your brothers relationship is, but I would
have to ask him before I sold it. Have seen family torn apart
over smaller things. He couldn't stand to sell it and gives it to
you then you sell it for $500.......I will butt out of your business now.

PS I have had 2 288, IMO good saws but on the heavy side for firewood saw

I really liked mine while I had it and then I sold it to my neighbor who loves it. I would love to see how a 288 and a 372 stack up against each other if I could find a reasonably priced 372. :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3egNBJ_I_UU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3egNBJ_I_UU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't think there is much difference between a 288XP and a 288XP lite besides the stickers and the front AV spring/mount. I'm sure the "lite" designation was just a psychological sales device designed to make you think it was lighter.

:agree2:

I don't know how you and your brothers relationship is, but I would
have to ask him before I sold it. Have seen family torn apart
over smaller things. He couldn't stand to sell it and gives it to
you then you sell it for $500.......I will butt out of your business now.

PS I have had 2 288, IMO good saws but on the heavy side for firewood saw

Well said!

And yes, it's too heavy for me as a firewood saw...but for the big stuff, it'll get-r-done.

Last edited:
Good saws with good parts availability in both OEM and AM stock. The parts seem fairly priced and there is plenty of used saws out to pull other parts from. Great saws with a 28" x 3/8 bar set up.

That being said if someone offered me $500.00 I would sell it. Depending on how hard up the recently retired injured relative is I would be selling it for them. Your call as you know what the deal is, but near excellent/mint condition ones typically fetch the +$500.00 range around here and a typical used one in good operating condition is in the $300.00 range. Your local market may be very different.

Great saws but if $ is tight and the saw condition is average than $500.00 is a good offer in my opinion. $ is $, especially if you do not actually need that saw.

I really liked mine while I had it and then I sold it to my neighbor who loves it. I would love to see how a 288 and a 372 stack up against each other if I could find a reasonably priced 372. :D

372 is light years lighter, smoother, and handles better, but the 288 will completely whip it. All day in the woods, I'll take the 372, power hour at the wood pile, 288.

BTW, to the original poster... 288 parts aren't hard to get, but if someone offered me $500 for mine, I'd sell it, get another, and have it ported for close to even money.

I don't think there is much difference between a 288XP and a 288XP lite besides the stickers and the front AV spring/mount. I'm sure the "lite" designation was just a psychological sales device designed to make you think it was lighter.
Yep :agree2: Some of the earlier 288s did not come with decomps I dont think.

372 is light years lighter, smoother, and handles better, but the 288 will completely whip it. All day in the woods, I'll take the 372, power hour at the wood pile, 288.
and exactly :agree2:

All 3 of the other good running 288s I have ran have been high compression saws. Drop starting is a challenge.

But my lite has a decomp :D

288 lite reply

thanks for all the info on this saw it is a decomp model im going to keep it now that i know i wont have any issues getting parts i didnt know they were so well thought of. in my area there is few places that sell huskys anymore and the ones that do have very few and little info on older saws. we use any thing that will do the job mostly 40-60 cc saws for what i do which is help relatives with firewood and clear property so we can use it.
it takes a toll on the old back after a couple of hours then i switch to a 290 or jonesred 450 to chop them up.i have no brand loyalty i like them all one poster was concerned about my brother he's doing better than ever
enjoying his long deserved retirement.as for the saw he said keep it or sell it i guess it was to make up for 30+ years of him breaking or losing my stuff and not returning it such as my new 029 20 years ago we get along great he also gave me a 017 and 142 husky. thanks guys

I to feel the 288xp is one of the great husky big saws that were built. If you cut big wood its a great saw to have with you. Let someone lug my 075 around for a little bit and the 288 will seem like a light weight. Rick!

Wth?

OK, this is weird.

About 10 minutes ago I clicked on this thread and it showed 0 responses.

I did a search "Husqvarna 288xp lite," & this thread showed up with just a few responses.

A few minutes later I clicked on this thread again, and it had 17 responses, all of which show being posted much earlier today.

:confused:, :confused: & :confused:

Edit--And now two more responses, both posted earlier today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back