Husqvarna 357xp - 359etech comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be porting the 359 jug after I get it cleaned up, but the 357 is not my saw and the owner just wants it to run again.

I'll be adding to this post as I build the two saws, but first I have to order parts.

The 357 will be getting a carb kit, both crank seals, a metal style intake clamp, and new piston & ring. I plan to lower the squish and open up the muffler a bit even though it won't be used for much more than cutting fence posts...

The 359 is my saw and I intend to port it for a work saw, this is when I may be asking a bunch of questions.

It will be getting a piston kit and a metal intake clamp, aside from that it will just be a fun build.

I appreciate all the input guys...AS is a great place and I just want the attempt to give back a little of what I've been shown.

This is just what I've been waiting for :clap: Thanks for including us!:greenchainsaw:

Troll, you're amazing with specs, wish I knew half the stuff you know, but dont you ever get tired of trying to educate us about the 359?:) Those of us who run them like them just fine!

Far from all that bought them like the way they perform, and most that do probably don't have a 357xp or MS361 to compare it to, or they have a modded one!

A stock e-tech one (with cat muffler) obviously is very unimpressive, several threads here about that - I guess that is not what you, or anyone else that talk highly of that saw model are running! :greenchainsaw:

Almost anything can be made into decent runners with proper mods, but most people run their saws stock!

Last edited:
Troll, you're amazing with specs, wish I knew half the stuff you know, but dont you ever get tired of trying to educate us about the 359?:) Those of us who run them like them just fine!

But when you run the 357 or ported 359 you will like it even better!!!

Far from all that bought them like the way they perform, and most that do probably don't have a 357xp or MS361 to compare it to, or they have a modded one!

A stock e-tech one (with cat muffler) obviously is very unimpressive, several threads here about that - I guess that is not what you, or anyone else that talk highly of that saw model are running! :greenchainsaw:

Almost anything can be made into decent runners with proper mods, but most people run their saws stock!

Hey Troll, not meaning to rile ya!:) The 359 isn't a racehorse, but for the money it costs here, it is a great value for a general purpose saw with a really good lower end. With just a little normal care it should last the average guy a lifetime, now the problem with that is, most guys around here aren't "normal" chainsaw guys :greenchainsaw:

Hey Troll, not meaning to rile ya!:) The 359 isn't a racehorse, but for the money it costs here, it is a great value for a general purpose saw with a really good lower end. With just a little normal care it should last the average guy a lifeti me, now the problem with that is, most guys around here aren't "normal" chainsaw guys :greenchainsaw:

Who cares about the low end - if that is an issue, the saw is too small for the task! :givebeer:

Also, the only dyno test I have seen on the 359 indicate that it does not have a really good low end, not even close to the MS361, just comparatively better than the top end vs. the 357, but not vs. the 361 (and that was the non-cat version) ......

I wonder why saws that lack good top end power so often get a reputation of having a "good low end", even though they really don't - I can guess the reason has to do with "owners pride", and the fact that the low end isn't in the specs - but I can't prove it.......

Last edited:
Hey Troll, not meaning to rile ya!:) The 359 isn't a racehorse, but for the money it costs here, it is a great value for a general purpose saw with a really good lower end. With just a little normal care it should last the average guy a lifetime, now the problem with that is, most guys around here aren't "normal" chainsaw guys :greenchainsaw:
well said minkota.. these are both great saws! my friend and his dad works near me. one has a 359 and one has a 357xp. they each have the same skidder and end up with the same woodpile (paycheck) at the end of the day.

Time to replace my 357xp.
What should I buy, another 357 or a 359?
I like the looks of the 2159 thats in the Trading Post.
If the 2159 is fitted with a intel carb is it different than the 359 carb?

Here’s a little more info from AZLOGGER on the 357/359 interchange. Eric might remember this.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=84117&highlight=357

Eric:
This information is for Eric and any others that plan on exchanging the 359 cylinder to a 357 cylinder. Husqvarna changed the width of the small end of the con-rod on the 357 from 13mm to 15mm beginning with ser.#02-0700001. The 359 con-rod was always 15mm, so if you are converting a 359 to 357 you will need the following parts to eliminate any fitment problems.

In order to further improve reliability, and improve the compatibility of other components with model
359, the width of the connecting rod has been increased from 13 mm to 15 mm.
NOTE! These parts are not fully interchangeable with those on earlier models. Please see below.
New part no. Description Excl. part no. Remark
537 21 92-01 Crankshaft assy. 503 93 31-71 *
537 21 95-02 Cylinder assy. 503 91 98-71 *
537 21 96-02 Piston assy. 503 92 04-71 *
503 25 56-01 Gudgeon pin bearing 15 mm 501 86 18-01 13 mm *

*still available as spare part for earlier versions of saw

Introduced from serial number: 357 020700001

Hope this clears up any confusion with the problems like Eric encountered!

:dizzy: :cheers:

The 359 I rebuilt did not stay around long enough for me to get to porting it, I don`t keep many Huskies around for my own use and I was offered way too much for it so it found a happy new owner. I will watch this thread with interest and maybe I can learn a thing or two. :clap::clap:
Pioneerguy600

QUOTE=blsnelling;2213447]IMHO, it's still a pro saw:) It's just a great value, especially if you grind your own cylinders.[/QUOTE]

:agree2:

Having all three of the saws in question the ms361 turns out to be my favorite. All of my saws are stock.The 359 was a poor running saw from the start,the 357xp was better,but not a reliable saw either. The ms361 has proven to be the best in all categories for me. I'm not biased to any brand,I only appreciate relaible professional saws. I agree with sawtroll on the 359 being a NON-Pro saw. Here in my area the 357xp is ony $80-$100 more,not a huge difference or value to someone who leaves it stock.

Time to replace my 357xp.
What should I buy, another 357 or a 359?
I like the looks of the 2159 thats in the Trading Post.
If the 2159 is fitted with a intel carb is it different than the 359 carb?

Hey Jack, my 2159 is a very early 2008 saw and has the plagued (faulty accelerator pump) HDA 199 carb. So far it's been fine, I don't think it's an intel carb. Don't know if that helps any.

Who cares about the low end - if that is an issue, the saw is too small for the task! :givebeer:

Also, the only dyno test I have seen on the 359 indicate that it does not have a really good low end, not even close to the MS361, just comparatively better than the top end vs. the 357, but not vs. the 361 (and that was the non-cat version) ......

I wonder why saws that lack good top end power so often get a reputation of having a "good low end", even though they really don't - I can guess the reason has to do with "owners pride", and the fact that the low end isn't in the specs - but I can't prove it.......

I'm thinking when he said "a good lower end" he must have been referring to the crankcase instead of the low end torque...but I could just as well be wrong. :dizzy:

Who has port timing numbers on both of these saws?

If nobody does I'll make my first attempt at checking port timing. I'm pretty sure of the process. I'll see if I can work up some port maps too.

Now I'm trying to learn something here, the crank stuffers are used take up volume in the crankcase. Does this add to the upper rpm power, add low end torque, or spread out the range of usable power?

If I only learned one thing drag racing it's that everything is a trade off. Torque for horsepower...or vice-versa

Hey Jack, my 2159 is a very early 2008 saw and has the plagued (faulty accelerator pump) HDA 199 carb. So far it's been fine, I don't think it's an intel carb. Don't know if that helps any.
I know it's rude to butt in.........
Buy the Zama C3 and the carb flange anyway! My 04 didn't start acting up until after my '06-and has way more hours on it. I thought that it was just the newer HDA's . But for like $60 its worth it to have on hand just in case.
And I also remember reading a Jonsered advertisement that described a compensating carb but strangely, have never read any threads about it.

Latest posts

Back