Husqvarna 365 vs. 365 SPECIAL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freakingstang said:
I checked the numbers on the cylinder and both saws have the same part numbers, so that leads me to believe they are open port vs closed.
:confused: :confused:
How does that add up ?????

As far as I know (by now) the main difference between the plain and Special 365 (and 362xp) is that the specials adopted some of the new features that appeared when the 372xp replaced the 371.
The engine did not change.

SawTroll said:
:confused: :confused:
How does that add up ?????

As far as I know (by now) the main difference between the plain and Special 365 (and 362xp) is that the specials adopted some of the new features that appeared when the 372xp replaced the 371.
The engine did not change.

I will be tearing the special apart this weekend to upgrade the parts to 372 specs.

So what was the main difference between the 371/372? I have searched and found the side chain adjuster and semi transparent tank to be the only differences.... Both 371 and 372 models had epa and non epa models in the states from at least 2000 and on. From what I can tell, the EPA models had twin rings that were thinner than the non epa single ring.

Steve

My 365 Special 01 model had open ports, Zama C3M It is a little hesistant on throttle till warm. I can set it richer on low speed jet to avoid this but then it is a bit smoldery when hot. I changed over to a 372 jug and piston and everything else is the same. The 365 transfers are a bit crude looking compared to the streamlined closed ports on the 372. No question which is cheaper to make. The 365 is a nice working saw, lots of torque but it wont wind out the way the 372 does. From the differnt parts combos it sounds like they used whichever parts they had the most of that day.

well, I tore the special apart tonight to replace the internals with the 372 stuff

I found a closed transfer quad port cylinder just as the 372, but with much smaller transfer ports.

I doubled checked the tag, and the special is an 00' model as well as the regular 365. This doesn't make sense if crofter has an 01 that was open....

Any who, I am going to do a littler modification to the closed 365 cyl and put it on the other saw in the next week or so, so I will be able to post up pics of the cylinders.

Mr_Brushcutter said:
Just out of interest whats the diffrence between the Walbro and the Zama Carb?
Quoting my brother who handle two cycle carbs allmost every day, the Zamas are essensially Walbro copies, but with metric venturi measurements, as opposed to imperial. In corresponding models the venturi size are rounded up to the closest mm from the xx/yy" of the Walbro.

Freakingstang said:
...I found a closed transfer quad port cylinder just as the 372, but with much smaller transfer ports.

I doubled checked the tag, and the special is an 00' model as well as the regular 365. This doesn't make sense if crofter has an 01 that was open....
For some time I have been pretty sure that the 365 engine allways had closed ports, but I don't remember the source of that info. Power rating has allways been the same 3.4 kw.

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Quoting my brother who handle two cycle carbs allmost every day, the Zamas are essensially Walbro copies, but with metric venturi as opposed to imperial. In corresponding models the venturi size are rounded up to the closest mm from the xx/yy" of the Walbro.

having them side by side, they definately look very similar.

SawTroll said:
For some time I have been pretty sure that the 365 engine allways had closed ports, but I don't remember the source of that info.

I didn't know, but read a bunch of post that stated they were open for the 365 and closed for the special. Checked the cylinder #'s on mine and they were the same. I just assumed they were open from what everyone else was saying. I am curious about the regular 365 now.....

Steve

Diggin up an old post of mine...

Both of my 365's were closed port with ZAMA carbs. They were purchased new in 00 for the place I used to work for. I bought them after they were a year old and they were never apart until I started playing with them.

I ended up swapping carbs on both of my saws to a 371/372 Walbro carb to fix the off idle hesitation of the Zama carbs.

Some other notes and tid bits to add. Both 365 closed port cylinders have the same port timing as the 371/372 cylinders I have measured. The main difference other that bore size, is the 365 cylinders have smaller transfers at the bottom of the cylinder where it enters the case. They also perform very well with the exhaust raised 1mm, intake lowered 1mm and gasket removed. Clean up the lower transfers to match the gasket, keep the factory angles of the transfer ports.

-Steve

O5 365 Special ..Walbro Carb...runs fantastic!!!I came on here a while back with a hot start concern, the 365 owners clued me in on hot start technique and it now fires one pull.Love my Husky!!!:heart:

Freakingstang said:
Diggin up an old post of mine...

I ended up swapping carbs on both of my saws to a 371/372 Walbro carb to fix the off idle hesitation of the Zama carbs.

-Steve

Steve, I am curious if the Walbro carb did in fact solve the off idle problem?
Sounds like it did.

Aaron

Bad E said:
O5 365 Special ..Walbro Carb...runs fantastic!!!I came on here a while back with a hot start concern, the 365 owners clued me in on hot start technique and it now fires one pull.Love my Husky!!!:heart:

I have a 365 special and i love it, it is versatile and ideal for stumps and a bit of light felling. but what is the hot start technique? I don't have a problem starting, a couple on full choke, 2 on half and off we go....but less pulls would be nice....what is the hot start technique?

Well this thread does have me scratching my head. I'll check the IPL's tomorrow and see if there are different part numbers for 365 cylinders, which would kind of surprise me. From the info that has been posted, I tend to agree with SAWTROLL, that the changes were pretty much the same as those made from the 371 to the 372. Also, there was the switch from the ZAMA to the Walbro carb. I have a 2165 Jonsered apart and it is definately closed port.

speculation

I know for a cold start someone had posted about pushing in the decomp pulling over slowwith the choke on. Shut off the choke after two slow easy pulls and leave it on fast idle. Pops first time on my 359. hot start you can set your fast idle and it may help on some saws. most of the time if a saw is hot and carb set right it should be one yank of the crank.

buck

stumpy66 said:
I have a 365 special and i love it, it is versatile and ideal for stumps and a bit of light felling. but what is the hot start technique? I don't have a problem starting, a couple on full choke, 2 on half and off we go....but less pulls would be nice....what is the hot start technique?

I was not setting the choke and releasing it thus activating the fast idle. Once done, my saw responded on the first pull when warm everytime.

I did this upon advice from a member of this board(do not remember who) but it worked for me.

Please remember this was in winter(when I cut my wood) and the saw might not be "HOT" but just warm. I shut it off while moving logs and loading my Rhino with cut wood. So the saw might set 15 mins. or so in freezing weather.

Well, there are actually 3 different cylinders. The original must be the open port one you guys are talking about.

When the change was made, there were 2 more. One of them was "EPA", and is probably the only one in the US. What is adding to the confusion here is that the cylinder change took place BEFORE the word "special" was added to the saw perhaps a year later.

So, a "special" has the closed port cyl. but a regular 365 could have either.

45 special

Never heard of a 45 special. There used to be a 42 special. My neighbor had one and it was a screaming little saw. I don't know if it was closed port but the suggested no load rpm of 14,000 makes me think it was.

I have a neighbor that has a Husqvarna "special" 45, dates stamped on the plastic covers lead one to think it was made in 1993. It may have been old stock as he said he bought it after the big ice storm of 1998 here in eastern Ontario.

Steve, I am curious if the Walbro carb did in fact solve the off idle problem?
Sounds like it did.

Aaron

Sorry, a little late to respond, but yes the Walbro HD carb definately solved the problem. I then modded the saws for work use and the carb is still fine. I could have drilled the Zama carb out, but chose to swap carbs.

Still running strong, lol

Sorry have not been on here for a while. When hot, simply pull choke out, then push in and onepull for fast idle and voila!!

Sorry have not been on here for a while. When hot, simply pull choke out, then push in and onepull for fast idle and voila!!

If it has been turned off just a few minutes, it shouldn't be nesessary to use the choke at all, just power on, and a "halv-pull" to start it again.....;)

Can someone please explain the differences between these 2 saws?
I would think the Special version has a little more of something to it, but I do not know what. Are there mechanical differences?
Thanks

For a short time I had both but one was stolen. These are great saws, I liked the beat up special better than the X-Torq.I paid $125 for the special at a pawn shop, it screams...Best deal I ever made on a saw. The X-Torq was stolen and I replaced with a 372xp X-torq...As far as mechanical differences I cant tell you. They both cut like crazy. I have a friend big stihl man after having his 440 mag smoked by my 65, he claimed my saw was hopped up..So I beat him with the other one.

Latest posts

Back