Husqvarna 372XP (non XT) good price or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SXSBenzie

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I appreciate all the information I have learned here over the years. Finally made an account to actually post something! I am looking at moving up to a bigger pro class saw. I found a Husqvarna 372 XP non XTorq. Built in 08. The guy selling it bought it from a small engine repair shop that rebuilt the top end with an aftermarket Piston and Cylinder in 2017 (he has no idea what aftermarket parts were used). He bought the saw for a project and estimates he has put around 75hrs over the years. Asking $550. I have heard to be careful of rebuilds with aftermarket parts on used gear.

Is this something to take a closer look at or just pass on it?

Thanks for the help!

Hi all-

I appreciate all the information I have learned here over the years. Finally made an account to actually post something! I am looking at moving up to a bigger pro class saw. I found a Husqvarna 372 XP non XTorq. Built in 08. The guy selling it bought it from a small engine repair shop that rebuilt the top end with an aftermarket Piston and Cylinder in 2017 (he has no idea what aftermarket parts were used). He bought the saw for a project and estimates he has put around 75hrs over the years. Asking $550. I have heard to be careful of rebuilds with aftermarket parts on used gear.

Thanks for the help!
Take a closer look if you can, ie piston condition and maybe a compression test also. The price is fair if the saw is in good shape and not misrepresented.

Hi all-

Thanks for the help!

If it was me, I would buy a new 372xp from this gentleman right here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/nib-husky-288xp-353-stihl-660-070-381-echo-cs-1201.278970/
They still make the non Xtorq overseas and I think Robin is selling them for $800 shipped to your door. That's what I would do. for an extra $250 your getting a 0 hour saw and you know 100% what kind of oil and fuel / mixture was used and 100% OE parts. I will be ordering one from him soon.

Thanks for the response Paul. No worries with an aftermarket piston and cylinder if they look good?
So many folks have successfully run aftermarket parts that I would automatically condemn the saw. More importantly if it was installed correctly and maybe ask or see if the bas gasket was deleted. But the aftermarket stuff for the 372 has been around so long that much of it is just fine. And you can always change it down the road easily of something happens. Forums like this one are a great resource for help and good used OEM parts should you desire them.

If it was me, I would buy a new 372xp from this gentleman right here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/nib-husky-288xp-353-stihl-660-070-381-echo-cs-1201.278970/
They still make the non Xtorq overseas and I think Robin is selling them for $800 shipped to your door. That's what I would do. for an extra $250 your getting a 0 hour saw and you know 100% what kind of oil and fuel / mixture was used and 100% OE parts. I will be ordering one from him soon.
And this is also a awesome option to if you want to spend the extra funds!! Robin is an amazing seller to work with from what I've heard and read on here.

So we are at 800 now, up from 550 - for an old version of an old saw. That was pretty quick, so how much is it for new 572xp at your nearest candy shop?

So we are at 800 now, up from 550 - for an old version of an old saw. That was pretty quick, so how much is it for new 572xp at your nearest candy shop?
It did escalate quick. I only saw the online pricing for the 372XP from Safford of $1,029 + tax etc... Didn't want to spend over 1k for a new saw, so I was looking at used options. Now knowing I can get a 372 OE brand new for $800, its not a crazy jump to not worry about the history of a used saw and how much it will cost me in the future. I will have to check the local dealer to see what they have for pricing on the 572XP.

Well, supporting your local shop you get something more than just the saw in a box, guarantee and good service I would suspect.
An up to date chainsaw, more power, less fuel... makes for a better selfie on Facebook.
A quick and easy sell if you find out you rather wanted a 592 or 562.

500.0 for a saw with an aftermarket top end is way too much, very simply you could buy a smoked 372xp for 150.00 from your local scrapyard or shop and put an OEM top end on it for 150.00 , guess what now you might get 500 for it.
Aftermarket top ends run between 20.00 to 120.00 so with the unknown quality I'd assume it to be the lesser.

OE372xp is one of the best saws ever made.
The first generation 372, how old is that? How long since they started making it and how long since it was replaced by a new and better version?
Perhaps it "was" one of the best saws ever made but you really have to put it in the context of its time.
No proffesional forest worker around here would draw the company card and buy a 372 felling saw when the 572 is sitting right next to it.
The 038 was allso one of the best saws ever made, you know - back in the 1970's and perhaps in to the 80's :laugh:

I think a lot of people are trying to point to the value of a saw that is non-strato and has a simple, adjustable carburetor. These saws might not win races, but for anyone who is really into chainsaws and not flogging on them all day to make a living, a simple, durable saw like the original 372 is very appealing over the new 572, which may be a little stronger and smoother, but very unproven as far as being maintained by the hobbyist for 40+ years. If a saw is only going to be on your truck for 2 or 3 seasons because you will put a couple thousand hours on it and rebuild it and sell it( or abandon it), then the 572 may be the clear choice. Me personally, I’d get the new 372 mentioned for $800 and not even contemplate buying a 572. Different strokes.

I think a lot of people are trying to point to the value of a saw that is non-strato and has a simple, adjustable carburetor. These saws might not win races, but for anyone who is really into chainsaws and not flogging on them all day to make a living, a simple, durable saw like the original 372 is very appealing over the new 572, which may be a little stronger and smoother, but very unproven as far as being maintained by the hobbyist for 40+ years. If a saw is only going to be on your truck for 2 or 3 seasons because you will put a couple thousand hours on it and rebuild it and sell it( or abandon it), then the 572 may be the clear choice. Me personally, I’d get the new 372 mentioned for $800 and not even contemplate buying a 572. Different strokes.
Well, if you want to sit around for ten years to make the 572 "proven", you will always be stuck in the past then wont you?
You are not talking about a "professional" chainsaw, you are talking about "a classic", and a brand new one? That qualifies as a "collectibles" item.

Well, if you want to sit around for ten years to make the 572 "proven", you will always be stuck in the past then wont you?
You are not talking about a "professional" chainsaw, you are talking about "a classic", and a brand new one? That qualifies as a "collectibles" item.
Call it whatever keeps you blood pressure in line. That’s what I choose to do.

Latest posts

Back