Husqvarna 372XP (non XT) good price or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah maybe the guy cuts firewood? And isn't a PNW super duper hella logging maniac?
I think the 372xp would be fine for most.
And the 372 would still suffice for PNW super duper hella logging maniac that doesn’t need a 90cc saw. The 372 is not that antiquated. Smooth, fast and durable.

My 2020 Echo 7310 isn’t much more advanced than the original 372 design. After all the bs with chip shortages in the last couple years it’s not a bad idea to stick with mechanical. I’m not hating on 5 series saws but the original 372, and other saws from that era, is the peak combination for saw performance and simplicity imo.

John Deere makes brand new high performance tractors just filled with new technology. Despite all the new tech and features many farmers are spending big money for 30-40 year old tractors. Why? Because these are the peak combination of performance and simplicity. They do the job you ask of them and you know you can rely on it. And you also know that if you have a problem you won’t have to call a JD tech to come clear your codes.That’s how I see the oe 372 and the fact that you can still get one is pretty awesome.

My 2020 Echo 7310 isn’t much more advanced than the original 372 design. After all the bs with chip shortages in the last couple years it’s not a bad idea to stick with mechanical. I’m not hating on 5 series saws but the original 372, and other saws from that era, is the peak combination for saw performance and simplicity imo.

John Deere makes brand new high performance tractors just filled with new technology. Despite all the new tech and features many farmers are spending big money for 30-40 year old tractors. Why? Because these are the peak combination of performance and simplicity. They do the job you ask of them and you know you can rely on it. And you also know that if you have a problem you won’t have to call a JD tech to come clear your codes.That’s how I see the oe 372 and the fact that you can still get one is pretty awesome.
Great example! I have no interest in something as crude and mechanically simple as a chainsaw, having a fuel delivery issue that I can’t address myself. I can take a 372 apart and put it back together and repair or replace any part of it on my own.
However, if one isn’t so inclined, then get the saw that adjusts itself. No sweat off my back.

I had a jonsered 2171 rebuilt, mechanic asked me if I wanted oem $100 or aftermarket $80 give or take. So I said oem, guess where the oem husqvarna cylinder was made…..fckn China
Big difference between Chinese quality control in China and Swedish quality control in China

And the 372 would still suffice for PNW super duper hella logging maniac that doesn’t need a 90cc saw. The 372 is not that antiquated. Smooth, fast and durable.
I know of falling crews here in the NW that use primarily 372 saws or Madsen prepped 372 saws with 375 top ends. 372 saws are still being built and used and are a hard saw to beat. I may be biased as I own a 372XT, a 375XP and a 375 cutoff saw but I also own a 550 and a 562.
I would not pay $550 for a saw with an AM top end though.
I need to add here as full disclosure and all that, all 3 of my 372 series projects were put together from parts saws. Both chainsaws have OEM top ends. The cutoff saw has a cheap AM top end and has done just fine to date. I use it for cutting steel and it seems to work great. It has the limited coil, so it probably doesn't work the top end as hard as the two chainsaws do.

Patiently waiting for that one guy to recommend a echo 590 to save 200 bucks...
like others have said the used saw is worth 300 bucks if its realistically clean and the muffler is removed for inspection and the piston looks great with good compression...I would even tell the guy its going to cost you the 200 extra to put a oem cylinder kit on it. 800 for a new in box is much better than the 500 deal.

I appreciate all the replies. This has turned more into new tech vs old tech saws and which saw is best to buy. Since I didn't give any info on what I will be using the saw for here it is.

I help my wifes great uncle on an old homestead, just over a 100 acres 1/3 wooded (Oak, Elm, Pine). Mostly cleaning up the woods and cutting firewood. I have been doing it with a Jonsered 2245 with an 18" speedcut b/c from oregon for the last 8 years. We are now getting into some of the bigger hardwoods and the 2245 isn't the best tool. So looking for a bigger saw that can pull a 24" or 28" chain nicely for the bigger jobs. From what I have read on here and other forums it sounded like one of the tried and true 70cc class saws would work well (372, 365, ms461, etc...). Hence asking about that 372 being a good deal or not. $800 for a brand new saw is not out of the question, but the top range of what I want to spend for a saw that won't get everyday use. I also like the thought of the older model saws so I can do my own work on them.

I don't have a ton of knowledge around pro saws outside of what I have read here. Definitely open to other saw suggestions as well.

I'll probably get flamed for this and I cant believe im suggesting it but a chinese clone saw might be your best bang for the buck since it will not be used professionally or even every day if you can not find a decently priced used saw.

I'll probably get flamed for this and I cant believe im suggesting it but a chinese clone saw might be your best bang for the buck since it will not be used professionally or even every day if you can not find a decently priced used saw.
I hear what you're saying. but i don't mind spending more to get a quality tool. Just not sure I need to be the newest top of the line one. A good used one or a good price on an older model type scenario is justifiable. But i don't know enough about them to figure out which models those are.

I appreciate all the replies. This has turned more into new tech vs old tech saws and which saw is best to buy. Since I didn't give any info on what I will be using the saw for here it is.

I help my wifes great uncle on an old homestead, just over a 100 acres 1/3 wooded (Oak, Elm, Pine). Mostly cleaning up the woods and cutting firewood. I have been doing it with a Jonsered 2245 with an 18" speedcut b/c from oregon for the last 8 years. We are now getting into some of the bigger hardwoods and the 2245 isn't the best tool. So looking for a bigger saw that can pull a 24" or 28" chain nicely for the bigger jobs. From what I have read on here and other forums it sounded like one of the tried and true 70cc class saws would work well (372, 365, ms461, etc...). Hence asking about that 372 being a good deal or not. $800 for a brand new saw is not out of the question, but the top range of what I want to spend for a saw that won't get everyday use. I also like the thought of the older model saws so I can do my own work on them.

I don't have a ton of knowledge around pro saws outside of what I have read here. Definitely open to other saw suggestions as well.

You know what you want and you know what you require- just like a lot of others have replied, I feel perhaps $550 of your dollars is too much to ask for an old 372 with an unknown top end. On past experience, if someone cannot immediately say Meteor, or Hyway- the odds are pretty good they can remember exactly the top end used was the cheapest they could find, they just don't want to admit that so the buyer does not walk away or beat them down to a realistic price.
Keep your eyes and ears open, Craigslist, Ebay, the sales section here- there will be saws in the range you want all over the place. If it does not HAVE to be Husqvarna, think about Stihls in the 044/440 or 046/460 range, Jonsereds in the 2071/2171/2172 range often fly beneath the radar a bit because they are not orange, Makita/Dolmar have some nice 70-80cc saws but the Dolmar gas saws are being phased out of production, or the 2## series Husqvarna saws in the 266/268/272 types..
All the above saws are fairly easy to work on, are common saws with good parts availability and will do what you are looking them to do.

I think it depends on which aftermarket kit you install. Some AM kits last a very long time if you don't straight gas them or continually run the saw with a dull chain. Almost all of the blown up saws I get in here to rebuild have OEM parts on them, so they're not indestructible either.. I always install what the customer wants and usually they want to go as cheap as possible so that means aftermarket.

I think it depends on which aftermarket kit you install. Some AM kits last a very long time if you don't straight gas them or continually run the saw with a dull chain. Almost all of the blown up saws I get in here to rebuild have OEM parts on them, so they're not indestructible either.. I always install what the customer wants and usually they want to go as cheap as possible so that means aftermarket.

No topends, AM or OEM are idiot proof. Lean it out and they will burn up. Cheap AM ones are usually lesser quality and finish and damn horribly timed.
Having said that, I have no problems with anyone doing or having done what they wish with their own saws.
What I dislike is people using cheap as chips parts to get old wrecks running and flicking them off on the unsuspecting for good used OEM prices.

The first generation 372, how old is that? How long since they started making it and how long since it was replaced by a new and better version?
Perhaps it "was" one of the best saws ever made but you really have to put it in the context of its time.
No proffesional forest worker around here would draw the company card and buy a 372 felling saw when the 572 is sitting right next to it.
The 038 was allso one of the best saws ever made, you know - back in the 1970's and perhaps in to the 80's :laugh:
Obviously you have no idea what you are going on about.

most of the "new and better" versions for the most part have been an ongoing failure. But apparently you wouldn't know...

562 is best firewood saw around!! Although it would deff be maxed out if you needed a 28”. They will pull a 24 decently but flat out rip with a 20”. Keep in mind you’ll need a bar/chain also unless you have a husky large mount already. So figure on another $100 at least to the 372 for 800. Also they are very reliable saws but I’m not sure how warranty would work as the o e 372 is no longer sold In The states. That being said Robinwood is great to deal with heard nothing but good things from him although I personally have not done a deal with him.

Sounds like a new OEM saw might be the best value for you. The Stihl and Husqvarna pro saws should give you hundreds of trouble free hours, provided it is maintained. The husky 562 and Stihl MS 400 are both very good saws. Be honest with yourself and ask how many times will you need a 24-28 inch bar. The 20" bar is my favorite and makes for a nimble saw. You can always make a twenty inch bar work for logs of 30 inches plus.

Jon

Obviously you have no idea what you are going on about.

most of the "new and better" versions for the most part have been an ongoing failure. But apparently you wouldn't know...
Everything was better in the ol days, even my wife was better back then.

Obviously you are only looking at the problem reports, all the happy owners dont get through to you. Any chainsaw is destructible.
I'm quite sure you will find one or two problem reports for the 372 as well if you look for it.

Latest posts

Back