Husqvarna 372XP (non XT) good price or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything was better in the ol days, even my wife was better back then.

Obviously you are only looking at the problem reports, all the happy owners dont get through to you. Any chainsaw is destructible.
I'm quite sure you will find one or two problem reports for the 372 as well if you look for it.
I’m happy to report that I know of at least 30 572 and zero issues so far, but like you said I’m sure there are bad ones in each version.

Update: After really thinking about what I need, I ended up going with an Echo CS-590. Found one NIB for $300. Came with a 20" B&C and will get a 24" set for the occasional times I need the length. I will open up the muffler and remove the limiters as suggested by Red97. I am still keeping my eye out for a good price on a used 372, it would be great to have around for bigger jobs. Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.

No proffesional forest worker around here would draw the company card and buy a 372 felling saw when the 572 is sitting right next to it.
I may not be around there, so I don't know, but I bet that's speculation, not fact. That's exactly what I did. I have a feeling there's a reason Husky still sells the 372 even though the 572 is available. The only logical reason is because there's a lot of people like me. :)

Update: After really thinking about what I need, I ended up going with an Echo CS-590. Found one NIB for $300. Came with a 20" B&C and will get a 24" set for the occasional times I need the length. I will open up the muffler and remove the limiters as suggested by Red97. I am still keeping my eye out for a good price on a used 372, it would be great to have around for bigger jobs. Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.
Congrats on the new saw.
Solid runner the 590's are.

I may not be around there, so I don't know, but I bet that's speculation, not fact. That's exactly what I did. I have a feeling there's a reason Husky still sells the 372 even though the 572 is available. The only logical reason is because there's a lot of people like me. :)
Rumor has it it’s on the way out now that the 572 is proving itself. Kinda like the 395 rumors but time will tell.

you are on the right track...don't be dissuaded by the salesmen who come on here without real knowledge of what a man in the woods really wants.

Off-topic.

Back in the late 1930s/early 40s, a salesman comes around to my great grandfather's farm, telling him about the wonders of DDT. Salesman is sent on his way. Few weeks later a neighbor comes by telling him how amazing DDT is, NO pests in his fields, you gotta try it. Neighbor is sent on his way.

Years later, great grandfather's farm is still producing, everyone is healthy. The neighbor....well, his youngest daughter developed cancer in her early 20s, less than ten years after her father first used DDT (and continued to do so, because it works, and both the salesman and the government man says it's safe.) The old man, his wife, and the other siblings all died from cancer.

There have always been people who rarely set foot on the ground telling folks on the ground what is best or safest or smartest, etc...

There's no replacement for experience. There's no replacement for displacement. The solution to pollution is not dilution. Surface area and degree days affect EVERYTHING.

Off-topic.

Back in the late 1930s/early 40s, a salesman comes around to my great grandfather's farm, telling him about the wonders of DDT. Salesman is sent on his way. Few weeks later a neighbor comes by telling him how amazing DDT is, NO pests in his fields, you gotta try it. Neighbor is sent on his way.

Years later, great grandfather's farm is still producing, everyone is healthy. The neighbor....well, his youngest daughter developed cancer in her early 20s, less than ten years after her father first used DDT (and continued to do so, because it works, and both the salesman and the government man says it's safe.) The old man, his wife, and the other siblings all died from cancer.

There have always been people who rarely set foot on the ground telling folks on the ground what is best or safest or smartest, etc...

There's no replacement for experience. There's no replacement for displacement. The solution to pollution is not dilution. Surface area and degree days affect EVERYTHING.
Yeah, you're right, I think these new 572's have a prop 65 sticker on them ;).

Lol, what doesn't?

But seriously, I have both saws, 572 and 372xt, with different applications. The 572s are likely to prove to be great saws.
Right lol.
I've had them all myself, both stock and ported, for firewood I typically recommend a non autotune/ mtronic saw, for a work saw I say opt for the newer more fuel efficient saw with many other little creature comforts that also reduce your average cut time and save a couple shekles on fuel a yr. But even then, chain condition could change the outcome of a cookie cutting contest with new vs old or even all day cutting, it can also change the vibes, the amount the filter needs to be cleaned, bar/sprocket/ chain wear, and for sure the bottom end of the saw prematurely wearing.
Like I say, what works for one, doesn't work for everyone. Its nice to have choices :).

I was reading through this thread and thinking about how much I hate admitting how great my 562xp is. I run it with the 24" bar that it came to me wearing. The truth is I could get rid of all of my saws and keep only the 562xp, and probably be MORE productive than tinkering around with all my other ones. I'd certainly spend less money on parts & consumables. Only variable I can't comment on is that I don't cut hardwoods.

Have fun with the new saw, sounds like you spent smart money to me.

Rumor has it it’s on the way out now that the 572 is proving itself. Kinda like the 395 rumors but time will tell.
I suppose that's ok. My new 395xp came today, so I'll have this for years now. I wont need it too often, but man, it's sure going to be some nice when I do.
I might not ever have to replace this one. She might last until retirement.

I've had the 372XPW and a 372XP to replace her. If the 572XP is proven to be just as reliable, then I wont mind at all grabbing one for my next saw to replace the 372, but for as long as the 372 is repairable, she'll be repaired first. :)

I think I'll take my 372XPW in to another shop to get a second opinion too, just in case I was lied to , that she couldn't be repaired. There's been a theme with that shop I used to go to, in that's been the bottom ends cases going where a new crank and or bearings couldn't be installed anymore. Who knows, maybe it's always been the truth but it wont cost me much to have another shop take a look too. If the truth is, all it needs is another top end, then she'll get one. If not, I'll just keep it for parts until this second one blows then sell 'em both as parts saws.

This new 395 is going to be with me for a long time I suspect. If she ever needs replacement, I should know by then 10 -15 years from now, who makes a good, proven, legendary 90cc at that time. If no one will, then I'll find a rebuilt 395 to last me until retirement. :)

I think I'll take my 372XPW in to another shop to get a second opinion too, just in case I was lied to , that she couldn't be repaired. There's been a theme with that shop I used to go to, in that's been the bottom ends cases going where a new crank and or bearings couldn't be installed anymore. Who knows, maybe it's always been the truth but it wont cost me much to have another shop take a look too. If the truth is, all it needs is another top end, then she'll get one. If not, I'll just keep it for parts until this second one blows then sell 'em both as parts saws.
If it has the 51.4mm cylinder on it, that may be a bit difficult to find, the 50mm is still available.

I was reading through this thread and thinking about how much I hate admitting how great my 562xp is. I run it with the 24" bar that it came to me wearing. The truth is I could get rid of all of my saws and keep only the 562xp, and probably be MORE productive than tinkering around with all my other ones. I'd certainly spend less money on parts & consumables. Only variable I can't comment on is that I don't cut hardwoods.

Have fun with the new saw, sounds like you spent smart money to me.
60 cc saw pulling a 2 foot bar. I just looked and see they sell them with 28" bars too. Man, it sure can't be argued that saws are getting more powerful.

If it has the 51.4mm cylinder on it, that may be a bit difficult to find, the 50mm is still available.
Yeah, it's the larger cc version. Can't a regular 372's jug and piston go right on in it's place though? If so, I'm ok with that. I never could tell the power difference anyway. When I replaced it with the reg, cus they no longer sold the xpw, I was just as happy with the saw.

60 cc saw pulling a 2 foot bar. I just looked and see they sell them with 28" bars too. Man, it sure can't be argued that saws are getting more powerful.
I LOVE all my old saws.

It genuinely frustrates me how good this 562xp is.

I suppose that's ok. My new 395xp came today, so I'll have this for years now. I wont need it too often, but man, it's sure going to be some nice when I do.
I might not ever have to replace this one. She might last until retirement.

I've had the 372XPW and a 372XP to replace her. If the 572XP is proven to be just as reliable, then I wont mind at all grabbing one for my next saw to replace the 372, but for as long as the 372 is repairable, she'll be repaired first. :)

This new 395 is going to be with me for a long time I suspect. If she ever needs replacement, I should know by then 10 -15 years from now, who makes a good, proven, legendary 90cc at that time. If no one will, then I'll find a rebuilt 395 to last me until retirement. :)
10 to 15 years is probably a good expectation of an autotune saw that is used occasionally. But that’s nothing for a 395xp that isn’t commercially felling or stumping weekly. Used several times a year for the big stuff where it’s needed, it could last you forever if it’s maintained routinely.

10 to 15 years is probably a good expectation of an autotune saw that is used occasionally. But that’s nothing for a 395xp that isn’t commercially felling or stumping weekly. Used several times a year for the big stuff where it’s needed, it could last you forever if it’s maintained routinely.
Pretty sure if I only used an auto-tune saw several times a year it would last more than 10-15yrs.
Not sure why you would make a statement like that :oops: .

Latest posts

Back