Husqvarna 390XP vs 395XP ...which one is the better saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact F150 on hear he's in Ohio he fixed my saw the johnsered 2253 that was at 3 other shops he carrys johnsered, echo and Makita and he knows his stuff call him he won't steer you wrong

That's cool I'm know wimp but you better pack a lunch to run one all day. Tater Wade runs one but that's what he does for a living his side kick Stevie does also but they run them all the time

Heck, everyone has missed the OBVIOUS Solution, ONE of EACH, including the 372:)

Hey, may as well go straight to a Full Blown case of CAD, and get it over with, kinda like pulling a bandage off, one quick, solid pull and DONE;)

It's only Money, Right? Those silly little pieces of paper, aren't anywhere near as much FUN as a BIG Chainsaw :chainsaw:

Doug

We all KNOW that CAD is going to get him in the end, why put off the inevitable:confused:

I was meaning all things being equal, the 372 will be faster in smaller wood. Pretty obvious if you put a better chain on one saw it will have an advantage, but then thats not a very good comparison is it?
A 372 doesn't have the torque to pull the same chain as a 85+ cc Husky. If you run the best chain for each saw the bigger saw will cut faster. Steve

A 372 doesn't have the torque to pull the same chain as a 85+ cc Husky. If you run the best chain for each saw the bigger saw will cut faster. Steve
You are completely missing the point of what i was trying to say (twice now). Put the SAME chain on a 372 and a 390, the 372 will be faster up to a certain point in smaller wood.

I wont run a chain with high rakers on a bigger saw that doesn't take advantage of the power the saw has, I agree if you run a chain with high rakers on a big saw that doesn't use the power it has then chain speed will cut faster. Do you chains with high rakers on your big saws. As I mentioned before my 385 cuts way faster than my 372 in about any wood unless really small. Steve

Okay, I'm Lost, even if you pick the chain that is best suited to the 372, how is a smaller saw ever going to be faster than a larger saw?

The 372 is is not a small saw, and is a Great saw, but I don't know how you figure it would out perform the 390/5 in ANY size wood:confused:

The 372 WILL be handier in 12-18" wood, but once that chain tastes bark, I don't see how it could be any FASTER than a larger saw, There are plenty of times that I pick up my 266XP rather than my 3120XP, but I sure don't see any case where the 266 would eat through a tree faster than my 3120, maybe a bigger difference, but still the same idea.

I grab which ever SAW is BEST for the job at hand, and rather than comparing which saw is faster with a certain chain, you would be better comparing which saw is faster with the Chain BEST SUITED TO EACH SAW.

I grew up around boats, one toy my Dad had for several years was a little Stevens 10' 3 point mini hydroplane, with the 2 cylinder 50HP Johnson with a High Pitch prop on it, that thing was SCARY FAST:surprised3::crazy2:, put that same 50HP Johnson with a High pitch prop on a 28' boat, you would probably say a lot of things about that combination, but Fast wouldn't be among them, and few you would want to say in Church;), using the right tool, in the right application and Life can be a lot of FUN, the wrong tool for the job, not so much.

Doug

You are completely missing the point of what i was trying to say (twice now). Put the SAME chain on a 372 and a 390, the 372 will be faster up to a certain point in smaller wood.
Wouldn't there be a range of bar in wood where the 390 could pull one more tooth on the drive sprocket and be faster with the same chain?

I think since the title of the thread is which is better, 390 or 395 perhaps the answer is 395 because one can run lower depth gauges. This seems to fit in with the logic of the original poster here as expressed in prior posts. It has bigger main bearings does it not.

Seems the OP is curious about pho vs with bar for a 395 in his last posts I noticed.

Wouldn't there be a range of bar in wood where the 390 could pull one more tooth on the drive sprocket and be faster with the same chain?

I think since the title of the thread is which is better, 390 or 395 perhaps the answer is 395 because one can run lower depth gauges. This seems to fit in with the logic of the original poster here as expressed in prior posts. It has bigger main bearings does it not.

Seems the OP is curious about pho vs with bar for a 395 in his last posts I noticed.
Again, of course you can set one saw up to be faster than the other. I dont see why this is so difficult: same bar, same chain, same sprocket, 372 will be faster up to a certain point, probably somewhere in the 16-20” wood. SO if the op cuts a lot of 16-20” wood and rarely cuts 30” wood, then the 372 would be a more sensible choice.

Again, of course you can set one saw up to be faster than the other. I dont see why this is so difficult: same bar, same chain, same sprocket, 372 will be faster up to a certain point, probably somewhere in the 16-20” wood. SO if the op cuts a lot of 16-20” wood and rarely cuts 30” wood, then the 372 would be a more sensible choice.

The only way a bigger saw could be slower is if the rakers are too high and your not using the power plain and simple. Steve

It's not about what will cut faster, big CID/heavy saw with a short bar/chain and rakers ground off for sure will out cut a much smaller saw in any material.

I don't think most folks reading this have spent much time lugging around a 395XP or something equally as heavy. I have quite an arsenal of saws here, and my 480CD gets used maybe once or twice a year, same with the 395XP I have access to.

For most of the cutting we do 50cc saws are used because they are light and fast. When we get into bigger work where they no longer become ideal out come the 60-70cc saws, never the big 480CD or 395XP. We use those saw mostly for the rare occasion we get into at big tree that requires that kind of power and longer bar lengths as shown in the pics below. When you get into trees like this you will be glad you've got a 395XP and for sure the smaller saws will stay in the truck that day!.....Cliff

IMG_0791.JPG IMG_0788.JPG

Latest posts

Back